• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Used Hyundai Genesis or Used Lexus LS460

Which is a better purchase.....A used Hyundai Genesis sedan or a Used Lexus LS460? I guess a new Genesis is about same price as a 2yr old Lexus? Considering a daily driver when not needing my Avalanche......

Lexus. Korean brand vehicles (Hyundai and Kia) has come a LONG WAY. However, it is still definitely lacking in many ways. It is much less reliable, build quality is still not as good, materials somehow still feels cheaper, etc. LS is the flagship of Lexus/Toyota and should be a much better car overall. Go drive them and feel them for yourself! But my vote goes for Lexus!

Oh man, no question, the Lexus LS460. Those things are velvet tanks: built like a Panzer, super luxurious, very refined, decent performance. Drove one a couple of weeks ago and I don't think I've driven a nicer riding or driving vehicle. Driving it (a road trip) was effortless and genuinely pleasurable. Liked it so much that I'll get one if I don't like the new TLX. Only decision is whether to get the AWD version or not.

Last edited:
The Lexus is going to be more along the lines of 4 years older than the Genesis when the prices finally equalize. A clean (but not perfect) 2010/11 LS with 40k miles is still ~$35k+. Both are good choices. I am a huge fan of the engineering behind the LS and used to own one many years ago (1st Gen) so I would probably go for the older Lexus personally but that is not to say the Genesis is not a great car for the $.

Resell value is always a consideration... I wouldn't consider a new Hyundai much less a used one

With the attractive new redesigned Genesis coming out this year, IMO I would not buy a used Genesis right now. Once everyone sees how the new Genesis looks and performs so much better than the old one, the used Genesis prices will drop even more. I would either wait to get the brand new Genesis, or go with the LS. I'm also debating between these two cars for my wife.

For sure go with the LS460 if I had to choose between those two, I'm very active on the LS forum, there are a lot of discussion, the Ls460 build quality and reliability we're not as great compare to the LS430 and the undestructible LS400.
Some of the problems were.
1. Electronic steering system
2. Broken valve spring
3. Clicking/knocking from brake actuator
4. Intermittent no start due to fails push start

Equus!! New Equus will be cheaper than a LS460 & is a better car!! 2014 MY has LCD dash and some other refinements. Go check out both cars. The choice will be obvious.

I just went through this. I looked at and drove several models. I bought a used Genesis sedan. I feel the Lexus is a slightly better vehicle overall... BUT... the question is, is it better for your money. And the answer is absolutely not. Many people that have never driven a Genesis sedan seem to have an opinion on it. The sedan is not the 4 door version of the Genesis coupe. These cars should not even have the same name. The overall materials and build quality on the sedan is on an entirely different level. A coupe starts at 21K, a sedan starts at 35K.

What you have going for you with the Hyundai is an outstanding warranty. Get a used one. Don't go new, they depreciate a fair amount. That is to your advantage when buying used. I purchased a G sedan with bumper to bumper warranty, certified, loaded, for 17K out the door taxes and all included ($15,000 for the car alone). That's used accord money. Car was one owner with clean carfax and 30K miles. It is MINT. like a new car. I still cannot believe how much car I got for the money. Any Lexus LS would have cost me 10K more or been 3 years older with 4 owners. And no warranty.

The Hyundai Genesis sedan is under the radar. It is competitive new, and a wild bargain used. And if you need parts and maintenance, it is Hyundai pricing. Brake rotors are $120. Oil changes at the dealer are $35. Customer service: outstanding. Equus and G sedan owners have their own 800 number. They kiss my ass. They've taken care of my smallest complaints. Even burnt lamps with the fog lights. Car has been nothing but reliable so far. Lexicon stereo kicks ass. It's dead quiet. It truly is a worthy competitor to an LS for 2/3 to 1/2 the price. Lexus maintenance and parts are on par with Mercedes and BMW. It breaks less but things are EXPENSIVE.

An Equus is an even bigger bargain but was too much for me. 5 star IIHS and NHTSA safety ratings across the board for the G sedan. For 22K you can get a 2012 Genesis with the 7 speed transmission and all the 2012 updates. Go used. And get a Genesis. If you have to spend more, get an Equus. That thing is over the top.

The only mod I did was dump the Hyundai labels and installed the winged KDM genesis emblems. Now people ask me if it is a Bentley. LOL. No joke.... at least 5 people have asked me that. This is the ONLY true luxury car you can get that is as cheap to keep as an econobox.

Last edited:
Damn, Dave. almost makes me want one!

Rob get on autotrader and check them out. Mine was a very low mileage 2009. I was on a tight budget and I had to search hard to get a car in that range, but before that I was looking at accords, subaru legacies. Etc. this car is in that price range, and it is not REMOTELY close. Makes those seem like a tin can. Every $1000 you go up in budget gets you a nicer genesis. By the time you are in the low to mid 20's you have almost topped out. Their warranty is 5 years 60K miles and 10/100 if certified. I know cars. Really well. I know a cheap car when I see one. I've been somewhat of a Hyundai fan but there are hyundais I don't like. Some models have some issues that need more work. They are not as polished overall as Honda or Toyota as a manufacturer yet. But the genesis sedan is a gem. I managed 37.8 MPG with the 300 HP V6 on my longest trip to NY and back. That's insane. It's 0-60 time is 5.9 seconds, and if I mash the throttle it chirps the tires every time. It's not quite a BMW or an AMG in terms of sport feel. I don't care, those are all slow and heavy compared to my NSX. I wanted something quiet, comfortable, something that wouldn't cost me a lot of money.

Your choices in that arena are BMW, MB, Audi. These are just unreliable cars and even if reliable the few times something goes wrong, it's a lot of money. I've played here before. I have owned big body benzes and BMW's. Lexus is vastly more reliable. But.... It's maintenance, parts, upkeep, is just as high as any European car. I've owned them too and know. Hyundai genesis and Equus are unique on that they play in that arena, yet their parts and maintenance are dirt cheap. Too many owners and even "car guys" still are hung up on the name. That reduces demand, and it kills resale values of such a flagship car. It makes it a killer used bargain. There aren't even that many around. Most people think it is a lexus LS, or if you do winged badges you have yourself a Bentley. Hahaha

hyundai%20genesis%20sedan%202009%205.jpg697a9189-34ed-4117-ad1e-8790e24cb369Larger.jpg

This is what mine looks like. They have the V8, the R spec, the this and the that. Honestly.... You don't need it. The basic V6 has PLENTY of power. The non-lexicon stereo even, sounds really good. The basic models have a lot. Don't get caught up in the "I need 430 HP, I need the lexicon stereo, I need the V8 etc". That's how you go into a higher mileage car and really escalate your price. Stay basic, it has everything you need. Boston potholes feel better with the 17" wheels than the R spec wheels. Safety is stellar, any year.

20a75686bf673e9f16c41f7c3c702277_zpsd0191bfa.jpg

f0eae4a0feb519fbf38d427b88f4381c_zpse83585de.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Dave, not in the market now, just got rid of my RL a year ago for an M3 vert and am enjoying the hell out of driving something fun again.... but if I'm back in the market for a sedan, the Genesis has always been on my short list. First time I saw an Equus was last year down in VA. My son, a car nut, saw it and asked me what it was. I'm not often stumped, but I had no idea.... It did make me think of a Bentley. I had to google it to find out it was a Hyundai and was completely blown away.

Thanks Dave, not in the market now, just got rid of my RL a year ago for an M3 vert and am enjoying the hell out of driving something fun again.... but if I'm back in the market for a sedan, the Genesis has always been on my short list. First time I saw an Equus was last year down in VA. My son, a car nut, saw it and asked me what it was. I'm not often stumped, but I had no idea.... It did make me think of a Bentley. I had to google it to find out it was a Hyundai and was completely blown away.

Lol yeah weird to see a car with a $79,000 sticker at a Hyundai dealer lol. But the back seat reclines, cools and has TV controls like a Maybach. LOL

I would go with the sightly used lexus imo. Had a 2007 is350 back then and pretty much was a no brainer car to own.

When I bought my Santa Fe new back in 2012, I already had numerous cases where the engine would stall even before it reached its first oil change! (Maybe mine was a one off case)

Didn't want to take my chances and got rid of it right away to pick a toyota sienna.

That was the first and LAST hyundai I will ever own lol

Last edited:
Santa Fe is an SUV, what made you go straight to an minivan?

My wife really likes the Odyssey and we've been looking at them with increased interest as our kids are now getting older so a minivan makes sense.

How many kids and how old?

A minivan is a great choice and if you don't need to tow on a regular basis then it is much better than an SUV. I wish my wife would consider one but alas our kids are old enough that we can't kinda get around it plus I need a Tow vehicle.

Total thread hijack, but............ We LOVED our Odyssey Touring. Lease came up, wife wanted something smaller as the kids were older (7 and 8) and we had less stuff to lug around (strollers, etc) and she was looking forward to a lower Mobil bill. We replaced it with a CR-V. We both regret it and want our Odyssey back but are stuck in this CR-V lease for another 2 years.

can't you lease swap?

I haven't heard of that..... is that something other than where the dealership buys the vehicle from Honda paying off the lease balance and residual? Then they get you into a new lease.

just google lease swap and behold the possibilities....

Back