• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Utah: Increasing Speed Limits Doesn't Kill

http://autos.aol.com/article/utah-speed-limit-tests

Utah: Increasing Speed Limits Doesn't Kill

Test Confirms 80 MPH Okay

Humans are marvelous at self-organization -- it's how we get nomadic tribes and cities like Tokyo, it explains how New Yorkers avoid each other and actually get places on the sidewalks in midtown, and it leads to things like book-of-the-month clubs. It also explains how we avoid accidents at intersections when the red light stops working. Given our choice, we will find ways on our own to live together, mostly safely.

The blackest and whitest versions of the speed limit debate put "Speed Kills!" on one side and "No it doesn't!" on the other. Because both sides have metric tons of paperwork to prove their positions, the chance that the debate will be settled in our lifetimes is intergalactically remote. A recent speed limit trial in Utah, though, appears to be another scrap of evidence for those on the side of "No it doesn't."

"The Utah Department of Transportation (UDOT)," began an article in TheNewspaper.com, "announced last week that the experimental increase in the state's maximum speed limit to 80 MPH has been a success in terms of safety. UDOT Deputy Director Carlos Braceras testified before the state Interim Committee on Transportation that that there has been no increase in accidents as a result of the higher number printed on the speed limit signs on certain stretches of Interstate 15."

Barring any other considerations, a speed limit is determined by studying the behavior of 85% of traffic over a given stretch of road. That 85th percentile is given credit for self-organizing into a group that moves at the safest and most efficient speed. There doesn't appear to be any clear-cut study that proves this, but it has been gospel for so long that it is now the precedent for deciding limits, and in some instances, court cases.

The UDOT measured the speed of that 85th percentile before and after raising the limit. When the maximum allowable speed was 75 mph, it reported most drivers doing between 81 and 85 mph. Given another five miles an hour to legally play with, a year of observation found that most drivers doing between 83 and 85 mph. The vehicular carnage that some suspected didn't materialize, nor did drivers automatically begin driving 90 or 95 mph. As was the case before the limit was raised, people liked going about 85 on the stretches of road in question. They probably also enjoyed not getting tickets for it.

Without taking sides, Utah's findings do match recent findings and decisions in other states. When the North Texas Tollway Authority (NTTA) studied speed limits on six sections of roads it maintains, it changed the speed limits on five of them: one saw a decrease of 5 mph, the other four were increased from 5 to 10 mph.

When Montana had no daytime speed limit, fatalities not only went down but Montana recorded the state's fewest road fatalities during that period. Internationally, the number of fatalities per billion vehicle kilometers has been higher in the U.S. for about the past seven years than anywhere in Western Europe except for Ireland. Even Germany and its unrestricted autobahn suffer fewer injury incidents than the U.S.

Outside of the safety issue, some folks have chosen to see Utah's DOT results as proof that higher limits mean less speeding. That could be cheating a bit by using a relative definition of speeding -- people didn't actually slow down, the law just happened to catch up to them. Almost.

It could be more informative to see the issues of speeding and safety as follow-on effects of the widely held but as-yet-unproved instinct at work: 85% of people found a speed range at which they can drive mostly safely. And as that range didn't really change after the posted limit was changed, we can assume that the instinct for a safe speed has nothing to do with what the posted and enforced speed limit happens to be.

People want to get where they're going quickly and alive. If the powers that be would set limits more in accordance with that fact, perhaps the national blood pressure – and that of drivers – would flow more efficiently and just as safely. At least, it wouldn't hurt to try it out here and there.

It gets back to that self-organizing thing we've been perfecting for thousands of years. As a herd, we will find ways on our own to live together, mostly safely. Even in the fast lane.

As long as tickets are more about generating revenue for the state than actual safety, nothing will change. It sickens me that most of our California CHP have become glorified meter maids instead of serving and protecting. I like police officers, but I hate the system that rewards and encourages them for being something other than that.

Whenever I get into my car, instead of enjoying my toy that I get to drive once every couple weeks if I'm lucky, I feel like I just stepped into 1984 and am under constant surveillance. I pick up my car from the shop, and the owner hands me a fix-it ticket they were given for tint and plate... a ticket I wasn't even in my car to receive. A gem they picked up while simply driving it around the block to make sure all is well with the repairs. It's not the ticket or the fee, it's the very idea. It just isn't right. There are times I feel a sports car is not worth owning or maintaining because of the driving experience here in Southern California.

Last edited:
I think they should bump it up to 85mph nationwide. Truth of the matter is when your going that fast everything else is less important because you "KNOW" your going fast and if you F up your screwed. So in turn you actually focus on your driving instead of those other distractions.

well the reason why our speed limit was lowered in the first place was during the first fuel chrisis and we needed to reduce speeds to save fuel.

well the reason why our speed limit was lowered in the first place was during the first fuel chrisis and we needed to reduce speeds to save fuel.

Which is also a crock. If we really wanted to save fuel we'd stop selling so many SUVs. My NSX gets better MPG at 80 mph than many SUVs do at 55.

Looking at the vehicle purchasing for the past 20 years, it seems moreso that the point is to use as much fuel as possible.

I agree, its the Dumba$$ people that drive 60 in the fast lane that causes the problems. I think all states need to adopt Oregon passing laws...if your not passing then GET OVER...

I think this has more to do with the fact that cars are much more stable, secure and safer at higher speeds today than decades ago when many of these limits were set. An '09 Mercedes E class is going to feel (and is) much more stable going 80 mph than a '81 Totyota Corrolla going the same speed.

When they set highway speed limits, one of the methods was based on tests where a passenger was blindfolded and they would drive down stretches of highway. When the passenger had the feeling or sensation that the car was going too fast, they would note the speed the car was going. At the time it was around 55 mph, and that is where they set the limit. Today, many cars can be going 80 and practically feel like they are standing still. If they were to re-calibrate the test today with modern technology, they could probably very safely raise the speed limit. Things like impending crash sensors, ABS, TCS etc. also has taken over more control providing more safety while dummy-proofing many of the human error aspects of accidents.

Seriously? Blindfolded passengers? At least they were being scientific.

Maybe they could recalibrate that for 2010, with Alex Zanardi driving, and me in the passenger seat.

"Too fast? No, I'm not worried, even with a handicapped driver. New limit is 150mph."

very good point there vegas. I was never even aware of the method where they set the speed limit, and Big D the speed limit in nyc is 50mph. Our roads are very tight, and narrow with horrible bumps. If your going 70mph that is borderline asking to be pulled over by the cops.

the speed limit in nyc is 50mph. Our roads are very tight, and narrow with horrible bumps. If your going 70mph that is borderline asking to be pulled over by the cops.

This is why a NMSL is stupid, and good riddance to it. It just doesn't make sense that you could put the same speed limit on a tight crowded inner city freeway and a wide open desert road. Try driving across Nevada at 55mph. It's just not safe.

Everyone needs to drive the Autobahn at some time in their lives. The bottom line is that, absent any imposed speed limit, people will drive at a speed where they feel confident. They don't automatically drive as fast as their machine will take them. And it turns out that the speed where one feels confident in driving is also the safest speed. Faster speeds, and slower speeds, are less safe.

Setting a speed limit artificially low kills. Even if it does safe fuel, I'm not willing to trade lives for oil.

Most of the rest of the world has higher speed limits.
I don't see why 65 can't be raised to 75.
I mean really... 75 is NOT fast on interstates.

Most of the rest of the world has higher speed limits.
I don't see why 65 can't be raised to 75.
I mean really... 75 is NOT fast on interstates.

Drive 75 on I-280 between San Jose and San Francisco during a non-commute hour and you won't pass a single car.

Drive 75 on I-280 between San Jose and San Francisco during a non-commute hour and you won't pass a single car.

That's not even fast enough for the slow lane. I've noticed every time I drive there, the fast lane does about 90 and everyone else about 85, while the slow lane is usually 80.

As long as tickets are more about generating revenue for the state than actual safety, nothing will change. It sickens me that most of our California CHP have become glorified meter maids instead of serving and protecting. I like police officers, but I hate the system that rewards and encourages them for being something other than that.

Whenever I get into my car, instead of enjoying my toy that I get to drive once every couple weeks if I'm lucky, I feel like I just stepped into 1984 and am under constant surveillance. I pick up my car from the shop, and the owner hands me a fix-it ticket they were given for tint and plate... a ticket I wasn't even in my car to receive. A gem they picked up while simply driving it around the block to make sure all is well with the repairs. It's not the ticket or the fee, it's the very idea. It just isn't right. There are times I feel a sports car is not worth owning or maintaining because of the driving experience here in Southern California.

I assume, or implore, that you join the NMA and like organizations that push for reform, with the only limiting factor is $$$. NRA & ACLU have a 'strangle hold' have such a powerful effect on legislation, and why? Because they have nearly 100,000,000 in funds

NMA would not need anywhere near that close to also be [more] effective. Much of the positive effect they've had on common sense laws and bringing awareness of faulty red-light cameras, radar systems and unconstitutional practices is with VERY limited funds. If the only had more, theywould be more effective. For example: They only have ONE part time lobbyist and mostly pro-bono attorneys.

I'm a member, and furthermore I donate above and beyond that, with matching from my employer for their 'outreach and education' dept (not lobbying, which is extremly small $$).

Yes, some of teh bs in this country is like 1984, but unlike 1984, WE STILL HAVE A CHANCE, as long as we're willing to swet a little bit and put our $$ where our complaining mouth is.

So, I implore you, and everyone here, to become a NMA member.

Last edited:
I live in Utah and have driven this stretch several times while visting my sister in southern Utah. While it is nice to be able to go 80 mph, it's also not as cool as it seems.

Before they changed it, the speed limit was 75. I would always go 5 or 6 over knowing that I wouldn't get a ticket unless you got a really bored highway patrolman. So everybody was driving 80-85 anyway. Now they've changed these long stretches to 80, but they've also made it a huge point that they will monitor them like a hawk and 80 means 80. It doesn't mean 81-82.

So, I implore you, and everyone here, to become a NMA member.

NMA Life member here.

Remember, these are the guys that were instrumental in the repeal of the National 55mph speed limit, and are currently fighting any number of schemes of traffic enforcement for the sole purpose of revenue.

It's a good cause, and I encourage everyone to check it out.

NMA Life member here.

Remember, these are the guys that were instrumental in the repeal of the National 55mph speed limit, and are currently fighting any number of schemes of traffic enforcement for the sole purpose of revenue.

It's a good cause, and I encourage everyone to check it out.

Thanks Ben.

Back