• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Valet parkers: straight from the horses mouth

Originally posted by AndyVecsey:
I don't think you mean it that way, or maybe you do...

Indeed I do......that is why we have insurance, to repair whatever damage is done to the car

I think that over simplifies the situation. Insurance works fine for most cars, but not for rare exotics. Lets say my NSX gets totaled by a valet, or some SUV driver not paying attention. I have insurance, so now I have a fat check from the insurance company (less the deductable). Even if I manage to get the insurance company to properly compensate me for my pristine condition, very low mileage NSX, I won't be able to just run out and buy another one. I won't be given enough to order a new one, and it would take me a long time to find another older NSX that was both in a similar condition to maine and for sale. Even worse, if it gets damaged, but not enough to total it, I am then left with a car that will never be worth as much as it was before the accident. I will never be compensated for that loss of value.

I don't think we should all keep our cars under glass - after all, these cars were designed to be driven, but I don't think it is wrong to be careful with our cars either. Just because we have insurance, that doesn't mean we will have everything taken care of if the car is damaged.

Just my $.02 (probably only worth $.01 in this economy),

------------------
The Dark Sith Lord
91 Black/Black (of course)

Your post is really articulate, and you have some very valid points. I agree with all of them.

However, I do have this to add:

Not everyone who owns an NSX derives pleasure or value from their NSX in the same way. IE Not everyone derives pleasure by driving them. Some people may derive pleasure from owning an NSX just by the fact that they have one parked in their garage, and that it is better than Factory new condition, and that it is like a museum piece.

To those people who derive pleasure from such ownership of their NSX, it would detract from their pleasure to see their NSX degrade in condition unnecessarily, IE driving it in rain, or valet parking it in some unknown spot and having it dinged or spit upon. There is NOTHING WRONG with these people, or how they choose to derive pleasure from their NSX.

So why vent at these people? It's about as useful at yelling at a child who loves to eat ice cream. Ain't gonna help them or you.

So to posters like Andy, just chill and let other ppl enjoy their NSX how they want to.

Originally posted by Edwardo:
...Do you own your NSX, or does your NSX own you?

[This message has been edited by NSX_Dreamer (edited 21 February 2003).]

On another subject, this post reminds me of a Travel Scams show on the Travel Channel I saw a few weeks back:

A TV crew set up a "Valet Parking" sign in the corner of a public intersection, in a very busy downtown area of Miami. They were obviously not connected to any business. However, there were people who were willing to stop there, and drop off the keys to the TV crew posing at Valet drivers, and let the Valet park the car.

If the TV crew had been criminals, they could have simply drove off in the car, with the house keys on the key chain, and disappear.

Valet Parking is just a bad idea. If I'm in an area where I can't park anything but a rental car, I'll just take a cab, or public transportation. Why hassle with all the potential downsides of valet parking?

I think each person has absolute right in how they would like to treat their NSX. Personally, if I know the place I am going ONLY has valet parking, I will not drive my nsx there. From my personal experiences, horror stories heard, and similar warning from above posts, I choose to NEVER valet my car. As to how often I drive the nsx, and if I treat the NSX as museum piece, what insurance I have on it.., are all irrelevant, as this applies to ALL of my cars.

just a thought, I don't even hand my key out to fellow NSXer that I know will appreciate and be gentle and not do stupid stunts with the car. So, why would I hand the key over to a total stranger outside any establishment, knowing the fact that there is a chance they maybe the bad apple of the bunch. Especially if I have the option of parking it myself in a secure spot.

I don't think you mean it that way, or maybe you do...

Indeed I do......that is why we have insurance, to repair whatever damage is done to the car

Andy, can we borrow your car sometimes?
biggrin.gif

NSX_Dreamer.....I am *far* from rich, so it is not like I am flippant about money and simply replacing my NSX with another one at the drop of a hat.

Edwardo - excellent question.....my NSX does *not* own me. Analogy --- some people live to work and others work to live. I am a member of the latter group.

All - my comments are not meant to be abrasive on purpose; however, I don't sugar-coat things. Instead, I speak "as a matter of fact", so if my opinion offends, so what. I am entitled to an opinion, aren't I? And my opinion is that it is no big deal to valet park an NSX (nor is it a "sin" to drive it in the rain). I even drive it on a dirt road if I have to, and if it gets dusty, big deal.

Just don't go into sales.

You can be diplomatic. It's not like you don't have enough brain matter to at least think of a reply w/o appearing grumpy.

Look people,

I posted this thread just for information's sake. I got some rather good pointers from a legitimate person who has experience on this issue and I thought I would just share them with you. Let's not turn on each other over this.

Maybe a new owner in the future will search this topic and will find it rather useful.

I just put it out there.

Follow it, don't follow it, it's up to you.

Don't give anyone the keys.......jeez you guys are piece of work.
rolleyes.gif
The NSX is not a museum piece. It is a car. So what if something happens to your precious NSX? Life goes on, so get over it.

What's your problem? It's a free country, what we do with our NSXs have no effect on you. Most of the statements made here are just common sense. And to the majority of the people here, the NSX is not "just" a car. If it were, why would anyone pay a premium for it? Why would there be a whole community built around it?

You can certainly do whatever you feel like to your NSX -- and I would never buy a car from someone like you -- but there's no need to attack others who prefer to take care of their possessions in order to make them last longer and/or preserve resources.

Just MO.

Phoenix - to me, the NSX is just a car. Sure, the community is cool.....but a car is still a car. Do you think that a Camaro is something special, because there are clubs and forums for that car like there are for our car? Answer - no.

What's my "problem"? Nothing. I simply have an opinion that differs from yours. But that hardly constitutes a "problem", now does it?

I'm glad you would not buy my car from me - it is not for sale. However, I would venture to wager a bet. Side-by-side my 95 is cleaner than other 95s, and more than one NSXer has made this comment to me. Therefore, just because I drive my NSX in the rain or valet park it, does not mean that it is "not taken care of". Nothing could be further from the truth.

Finally, I was not attacking anyone, as I mentioned above (had you bothered to read my post closely).....I was merely stating that my opinion doesn't mesh with other opinions.

Andy I agree with you. Even though I don't valet. It has nothing to do with the valet.
I don't go to a lot of places that have to valet. Second if anyone is going to tear up my car it will be me. Coveting is when things seem to happen. I drive mine whenever I feel like it. Rain, Cold, Snow whatever.
It is a nice car but it's a CAR. Drive the hell out of it. If you break it up I will be happy to sell my VERY clean and tastefully modded 95. It looks like a garage queen by day. But at the end of the night it's filthy.

Topic: Valet, I had a car that was extremely coveted by me would not let anyone touch it, drive it, nothing. I was rude to a currupt valet. My car was stolen that night. When he was finally implemented in the crime, he said the only reason he responded to the order for a car like mine was because I was an A#$ hole to him. I was young and dumb. I now treat them with respect, but I don't valet.
Len
n9s5x-t

[This message has been edited by len3.8 (edited 21 February 2003).]

Do you think that a Camaro is something special, because there are clubs and forums for that car like there are for our car? Answer - no.

You or I may not, but I bet those Camaro owners will beg to differ.

Finally, I was not attacking anyone, as I mentioned above (had you bothered to read my post closely).....I was merely stating that my opinion doesn't mesh with other opinions.

Well I don't know about you, but if someone were calling me "a piece of work" I would take it offensively.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but as Ponyboy said, there are diplomatic ways to state them without riling people up. After all, we're here to share our enthusiasm for the NSX, not to argue about differences of opinion. And as my mother said, "if you don't have anything good to say..."

Good day to you.

<font size=1>

[This message has been edited by PHOEN$X (edited 21 February 2003).]

Originally posted by NSX_Dreamer:
Your post is really articulate, and you have some very valid points. I agree with all of them.

However, I do have this to add:

Not everyone who owns an NSX derives pleasure or value from their NSX in the same way. IE Not everyone derives pleasure by driving them. Some people may derive pleasure from owning an NSX just by the fact that they have one parked in their garage, and that it is better than Factory new condition, and that it is like a museum piece.

To those people who derive pleasure from such ownership of their NSX, it would detract from their pleasure to see their NSX degrade in condition unnecessarily, IE driving it in rain, or valet parking it in some unknown spot and having it dinged or spit upon. There is NOTHING WRONG with these people, or how they choose to derive pleasure from their NSX.

So why vent at these people? It's about as useful at yelling at a child who loves to eat ice cream. Ain't gonna help them or you.

So to posters like Andy, just chill and let other ppl enjoy their NSX how they want to.

Originally posted by Edwardo:
...Do you own your NSX, or does your NSX own you?

[This message has been edited by NSX_Dreamer (edited 21 February 2003).]

This is me I love to just look at the car, clean it wax it, etc. I have only put 5k miles on it in two years but not because I do not want to drive it. I get more of a thrill out of just plain owning it and keeping it in better than mint condition.

On another note, I stayed at the Wyndham in Pittsburg a few months ago and had them valet park my new $37K truck. Needless to say I tipped the valet guy 10 bucks and still ended up with a dent that I did not see until the next week when I detailed the truck. It was too late to turn it in to the hotel and now I have to pay to get it fixed out of my own pocket. Live and learn.

Originally posted by steveny:
Needless to say I tipped the valet guy 10 bucks and still ended up with a dent that I did not see until the next week when I detailed the truck. It was too late to turn it in to the hotel and now I have to pay to get it fixed out of my own pocket. Live and learn.

Sorry to hear that.
frown.gif
Yes, live and learn. My first car I didn't pay special attention to parking, and ended up paying $1400 for a new paint job to remove the dings plus a couple weeks of car rental fees. To me, it's far easier to take a few minutes to park away from other cars (and the exercise is a added benefit too!) than spend all that time and money later on to repair the damage. YMMV.

Phoenix - to me, the NSX is just a car. Sure, the community is cool.....but a car is still a car. Do you think that a Camaro is something special, because there are clubs and forums for that car like there are for our car? Answer - no.
a car is still a car? so what if the car was a mclaran f1 or a ferrari 250 GTO worth millions of $$$ would it be viewed as just a car then!. just a thought.
What's my "problem"? Nothing. I simply have an opinion that differs from yours. But that hardly constitutes a "problem", now does it?

I'm glad you would not buy my car from me - it is not for sale. However, I would venture to wager a bet. Side-by-side my 95 is cleaner than other 95s, and more than one NSXer has made this comment to me. Therefore, just because I drive my NSX in the rain or valet park it, does not mean that it is "not taken care of". Nothing could be further from the truth.

oops guess i put my quote in the wrong place.
in case your wondering what i am on about,i made the quote that a car would not be viewed as just "still a car" if it were a mclaren f1 or a ferrari GTO

I have an opinion on this, born directly out of a hideous valet parking experience.
And I think that anyone believing: 1) because they tipped before, during, and after the experience that they're somehow 'immunized' from shenanigans or 2) that because it's an upscale place they'll be OK is being really naive.

I also believe that the NSX is " just a car"…but it also just happens to be a car that, because of the very nature of its manufacture, can be wickedly expensive to have fixed properly when somebody f*^$cks it up.

But here's my story. Several years ago I took an almost new RX7 to the Ruth's Chris Steak House in North Palm Beach (note: not exactly Le Cirque…but not Burger King, either). Anyway, after dinner I notice on the way home that it's driving a little weird. To make a long story short the %$#hole that valet parked the car must have damaged the sub-frame (To the tune of $2,000! And note, this is over 12 years ago on an RX7! Any guess what a similar problem with an NSX would cost in 2003?!)…

Bad Part, Part 1. So try, unless you have video of the Cro-Magnon actually parking the car, to prove that THEY did it! (And in spite of calling the restaurant manager immediately…I LOST on this specific point in small claims court.)

Bad Part, Part 2. Restaurants sub-contract these services! So guess what? For all of you "it's just a car" owners out there, even if you do go to the best place in town, if your NSX ends up needing thousands of dollar worth of repairs, their insurance won't cover it, and accordingly, they're simply going to refer you to the subcontracted service (please refer to Bad Part, Part1).

Now in my case, I somehow managed to call the corporate headquarters of Ruth's Chris Steak House, and actually get the CEO the chain, Ruth Fertel, on the phone. And after pleading my case directly to her, she was quite appalled, and promptly sent me a check.

In the end, though, the moral of the story is that I was lucky…and I truly hope that none of you need to go through that kind of a process with a car that you care about.

Way back my brother ran a stereo/detail shop near the beach. Pretty exclusive area. Beach goers and shoppers would routinely leave theirs cars for many hours.

The stories I could tell. But use your imagination.
Take the worst case scenario you can imagine, now double it.

The kids that worked at this place were mostly from well to do homes, and a few were responsible for some very serious crimes as a result of having access to the keys left by customers.

If you are a regular at a restaurant the valets will let you park the car and take your keys.

Never leave your house keys or documents that have your home address in the car.

Haha I saw how the local Ritz Carton Hotel how they park the valet cars. its like racing inside the garage fun to see, you can hear tires screeching sound etc. And lotta funny stuffs

Originally posted by spartan2-3:
Last summer, we stayed at the "Ritz Carlton" (Halfmoon Bay) and I asked the valet Parkers not to move my car and should be left where It was parked.

At 4am, I went out for a run and I went berzerk to not see my car.

According to "Ritz" they had to move it due to a "Golf Tournament", yeah right!!! I would never,ever leave my car keys to anyone specially if Im staying for the night..

ok, Im done venting....

I've heard all the horror stories from friends who used to be valet parkers, and I try not to valet the car if I don't have to, but sometimes there are situations where it's inevitable that you will have to use a valet. For example, if you just happened to drive the NSX that day, and made a same day appointment at a place in a busy part of town that has valet parking only. Or, if your NSX is your only car, and you are taking someone out to a nice place (date or business dinner), IMHO, it's a bit inapproprate to make someone wait while you look for non-valet parking which can sometimes take quite some time in busy parts of some downtown areas. The good thing with a car like the NSX is that they usually park it up front where it can be in view.

-Ben

Back