• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Value of a '91 that was never driven JH4NA1158MT000897

Re: Value of a '91 that was never driven #000897

If you love this car and if money and space it's not a probleme for you, please kept it.:smile:

mlambert890 - well put - bottom line...........

"For ME, whats "correct" is whatever the guy who signed the check for it wants to do with it"

Good luck with the potential sale. You are setting a precedent by selling this "brand new" NSX.

Keep us updated.

If it has never been titled, does it mean it comes with a new car warranty?

Thats a great question! I have a bad feeling thats a NO tho. I understand its a "new" car but these warranties go by miles and years. Soooo my guess because of how old the car is I would say no but there could be some kind of loop hole because of this never titled thing... who knows?

wow, thats amazing. I would probably keep it for another 10 years or more then sell it when the economy picks up. It would be really hard not to drive the car though...:redface:

So to answer a few questions about the backstory:

This NSX was purchased by my father and tow of his friends as an alternative investment. They saw the NSX as a symbol of the emergence of the Japanese auto industry. They also recognized some of the engineering feats such as the all-aluminum monocoque chassis/body.

They decided to purchase the car, store it and basically not touch it except for maintenance. They consulted Honda for proper care instructions based on their plans to preserve this car in it's factory condition. They stored it in a heated/cooled garage full of collectible care in Chicago. My father was the one who held the keys and he went to visit it a few times a year. He would run the engine, use the electronic mechanical parts and drive it around the lot as Honda recommended.

Because they were three of them, it was easy for them all to agree not to drive the car as each of them only owned a third of it. They bought the car to maintain its condition and preserve its value, therefore, driving it would be counterproductive. They made the agreement and they stuck to it. This is also why it was never titled. They never intended for it to see the open road.

We recently brought it in for maintenance and we spent four thousand dollars replacing the wearables and performing any necessary maintenance. We have documentation of all work done.

It had 42 miles until the end of April, when 11 more miles were added testing and making sure everything is in working order. It currently has 53 miles. It is now back in the garage, safe and sound and running great.

Also, for any collectors, we have the original bill of sale, window sticker, certificate of origin and pre-delivery inspection checklist.

It seems that there are not many, if any '91 NSXs out there with so few miles. I have spoken to a few car collectors and museums that have shown interest. After 20 years, there is no rush to sell it, so we are evaluating the market and making sure we get the best price available.

I have spoken to a few people from the forum. If anyone else is interested, PM me for my email/phone number. I can answer any further questions you have.

Here are a few pictures we took this week:

Last edited:

amazing story.Congratulations to the owners for sticking to thier plan.

Wow, what a fantastic story. I'm glad to hear you kept it in working condition. I would guess that like other alternative investments, your core group of buyers would be overseas. As other posters have stated, the US domestic economy is still in the dumps. The emerging markets have been on fire for the last two years though. Best of luck!

You guys did it right thats for sure! I just wonder if you waited 4 more years it would be worth more because its now a classic? I feel the price is fair since you guys took very good care of it. Everything looks perfect minus the front lip or am I seeing things? It looks like it has a white fog thing going on.

No disrespect but if you see anywhere near 80k for this car I will be amazed. Maybe I'm wrong - been wrong before but you can buy a lot of car for 80k. Remember at the end of the day you still have a 20 year old car that is not in many circles considered a highly collectable car. Hope for your sake I am dead wrong. It will be an education wathching this transpire. Good luck! Surely can't be another one out there!

I agree with tbromley, I don't see anywhere near 80k! If true, great story though!

Last edited:

You guys did it right thats for sure! I just wonder if you waited 4 more years it would be worth more because its now a classic? I feel the price is fair since you guys took very good care of it. Everything looks perfect minus the front lip or am I seeing things? It looks like it has a white fog thing going on.

Thanks.
That must just be a reflection you are seeing because the entire car is flawless.

No disrespect but if you see anywhere near 80k for this car I will be amazed. Maybe I'm wrong - been wrong before but you can buy a lot of car for 80k. Remember at the end of the day you still have a 20 year old car that is not in many circles considered a highly collectable car. Hope for your sake I am dead wrong. It will be an education wathching this transpire. Good luck! Surely can't be another one out there!

I know what you mean in a sense. You never really see NSXs for sale for this fugure. But at the same time, this is the only NSX that I know of with mileage anywhere close to 53. And if there are any others, they aren't for sale. They are most likely in a Honda museum in Japan.

It is extemely difficult to price because of its rarity. This is different than a low mileage NSX. There are plenty of low meliage NSXs out there. Those are used cars. Lightly used, but used nonetheless. This is essentially a new car. It's value lies in its rarity. For the right person I could see this being a bargain. I'm sure it will be worth way more in ten years like you guys are saying, but I don't think we have the patience to wait that out. Whoever does will have a very valuable car.

And, sure, 80k gets you a nice car these days, but it won't get you anything nearly as unique as this NSX. You can get a lot of muscle for that price, but a used ferarri/maserati isn't going to appreciate. It will be fun to drive, but it will only lose value. Whoever buys this mostly likely isn't buying it to drive it. They are buying it to own a rare piece of automotive history.

I am interested in seeing where this goes myself. I will let you guys know.

I just posted the listing in the NSX Prime Marketplace. All pictures have been moved to that thread:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1432898#post1432898

I love that the coolant bottle is still white. I don't have the fears some do about long-term storage. No concerns here about mechanical condition even without the recent maintenance and it being started a few times per year. Add the extra care and maintenance and even people without my disposition would probably agree. All this is icing on the cake to a collector who would be more exicited about the pristine condition...than being able to get 400k miles out of it.

Based on the posted VIN, mine was slightly ahead on the assembly line. Three cheers for serial numbers 89_. Seeing this car would be like the first time I saw an NSX (red) behind the velvet ropes at the dealership when I could only dream of owning one.

Last edited:

Goodluck the sale and I think it can get sold for $50K+ and people don't really pay top dollar for speed, they pay for classic/style, build quality and all around performance... Thats why we have a NSX :biggrin:

Great story indeed.

There will always be a buyer for any kind of market out there.

I really hope you get somewhere near 80k for it. Its a museum piece and deserves a collector's garage. And of course, that limits your target audience severely and will take awhile I'm sure to find the right buyer.

But like the other guy said, it'll go for somewhere in the 50-60k range. That opens up way more people. I can probably find guys to do it.

But I'm really rooting for you to get a full asking price.

A 21 year initial investment of $61K now selling for $80K (asking price) sounds like a bad investment? 21 year is a long time, and I can’t help but to think what the group could have invested instead and double or triple the return during the same period. Maybe if they keep the car for another 20 years it could yield a better return at Barrett Jackson.

The target audience pretty much has to be collector (Leno or something), and have no plan of driving it. I don’t think Prime is the right crowd for that. Good luck on the sale nonetheless.

A 21 year initial investment of $61K now selling for $80K (asking price) sounds like a bad investment? 21 year is a long time, and I can’t help but to think what the group could have invested instead and double or triple the return during the same period. Maybe if they keep the car for another 20 years it could yield a better return at Barrett Jackson.

The target audience pretty much has to be collector (Leno or something), and have no plan of driving it. I don’t think Prime is the right crowd for that. Good luck on the sale nonetheless.

Yeah, we actually paid 72k for it, even though the sticker price was 61k. Add to that the storage fees for 20 years. If we had just put the money in the bank, it probably wouldn't be worth much more due to inflation. But if we put it in the markets we could have made some big money, but then again we could have lost money too.

But, it wasn't like buying stock. We actually have an NSX. We aren't driving it, but we have it. Ha. It is my dad's prized possession. We have NSX books and models all over the house. Sure, it didnt end up being a greate investment having put in 20 years. Whoever buys it from us and sits on it for 10 years will most likely see better results than we did.

But what I told my dad was, if he hadn't bought the NSX, that money probably would have just been spent on bills etc. At least by having a less than liquid investment, you don't sell it and blow the money.

I really hope you get somewhere near 80k for it. Its a museum piece and deserves a collector's garage. And of course, that limits your target audience severely and will take awhile I'm sure to find the right buyer.

But like the other guy said, it'll go for somewhere in the 50-60k range. That opens up way more people. I can probably find guys to do it.

But I'm really rooting for you to get a full asking price.

Like I said, we posted the listing at 80k OBO. If someone wants to make an offer they can. We won't be quick to accept any offer much lower than that. We will see what kind of offers we get. Even at 80k, this is a great deal for the right person. For someone who loves NSXs or Sports cars in general and has a collection, they will never find another NSX like this on the market.

I appreciate the interest guys. Thanks.

Fascinating story - I kinda think you'll eventually get close to that price, if you are patient. There are so many folks out there with serious money, that if they are interested / looking for this, they will easily part with big money. It is the car AND the rarity of what you have there (never been titled and essentially "new"). Even in this difficult economy, most of the folks with serious wealth still have that wealth (or more). For them, 70k or 80k is a "rounding error".

Agree with most - most likely a wealthy car collector is your best bet. Just gotta find them.

Thanks again for sharing the story -- wish you great success in getting a great price. Keep us posted please. Jay

Since 1991 I think inflation has gone upwards in the ballpark of 65%.

When I make an expensive vehicle purchase, it's not the value I hope it retains, but rather the enjoyment factor I get out of it over the years.

You don't necessarily have to drive a vehicle to appreciate it. Even when it's raining, all it takes is to crack my garage door open and peek inside to put a smile on my face.

Last edited:

Try and get in touch with Jay Leno..

Back