• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Valve Cover Sealing

I'm putting the Head Covers (Valve Covers) back on after maintenance and the manual calls for me to "apply a thin layer of liquid gasket to the mating surface of the cylinder head covers and the rubber seals to prevent the rubber seal from falling off."

I was told to use HondaBond for this which I have. The gaskets are new and the mating surfaces are clean. I also know to do this at least a couple hours ahead of time to allow the HondaBond to set up enough to hold the gaskets on.

Question 1: Do you put it on the entire surface b/t cover and gasket, or just a few areas you dab it on, or a few strategic locations like the corners, etc so as to avoid having to dig the thing out if you want to replace it later.

Question 2: I noticed that the tech that worked on my car last put dabs of honda bond between the gasket and head surface in the little corners where the curved cam cutout meets the flat head surface. Is this an area that will leak if you don't do this? Do others do this? Any other special places to put the HondaBond?

Thanks,

Bill

Hi Bill

how u doing today?

I usually only put the Hondabond on few stratigic places where the gasket meets the head.

I dont put any gasket materal in the grove where the gasket goes into the valve cover since its tricky to take out and also if you dont clean it out before putting it back in next time it can cause oil leaks.

Dont put it on the complete surface becuase its unnessary and also hard to clean off well next time.

Usually the rubber gasket fits in and does not move once its in there.

Place the hondabond at the edges of the cam retainers where you go from the hump to the straight angle. Sometimes the gasket does not seal that turn well and you need the HB to do the job.

Also here is a tip.

when you place the valve cover back on and before tightening it down. run your fingers along the blind side of the valve cover and feel for the gasket. Sometimes in assembly the valve cover gasket slips out of the grove or does not seat flat. when that happens you'll get an oil leak and also if you tighten it down, the VC ( valve cover ) will cut or rub through the gasket.

good luck, your almost done... right? :D

Rob

ps: if you get stuck, just give me a call. u got my number :wink:

Hi Bill

how u doing today?

good luck, your almost done... right? :D

Rob

ps: if you get stuck, just give me a call. u got my number :wink:

Whew! I'm doing great! Still laughing from the Scion thread:biggrin: .

Thanks for the tips. Manual isn't very accurate on this, I guess. I'm almost done. Trying to set the record for longest maintenance.:biggrin: Plan to crank it this weekend, God willing.

Whew! I'm doing great! Still laughing from the Scion thread:biggrin: .

Thanks for the tips. Manual isn't very accurate on this, I guess. I'm almost done. Trying to set the record for longest maintenance.:biggrin: Plan to crank it this weekend, God willing.

lol... man i hear ya. i got a quick mouth but with the 100foot flames that thread is shooting, i dont even have the testicular fortitued to step in and dance. :biggrin:

good to see your ready to fire it up.

just make sure tap the starter really slow a handful of times to do a final check.

you got any pop corn, i bought a 7000 pack last night and im already out.:tongue:

Back