• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Vancouver Island 2010 Poker Run NSX & S2K

We managed to raise $1,500.00 up at the mountain Saturday evening alone.
For all of those that didn't get your certificate prizes I will ensure that they get out to you.
Thanks again and stay tuned for the update after I do the math. Pics are on the way I hope.

Thanks Paris and Stefan

Dave

Poker Run Participants:

I received an email from Eileen Torgeson, manager of BC Lions Society & Easter Seals Services (Camp Shawnigan). I wanted to cut and paste the email into here for you.

=============Begin Cut=====================
On behalf of the BC Lions Society for Children with Disabilities we would like to thank you and all of your participants, sponsors and volunteers for your generous contribution to Easter Seals Camp Shawnigan.

Your donations will support Easter Seals Camp Shawnigan, where anything is possible during a week at camp. At Camp Shawnigan it is our goal to provide safe, fun activities in an environment where the focus is on abilities, not disabilities. Campers have an opportunity to challenge themselves, take risks, and try new things in a safe, warm and supportive environment. All of our camp activities are designed to build confidence and independence in our campers. Our specially trained camp staff do everything they can to ensure that campers have the best time of their summer! For many of our campers it is the one week they look forward to all year. The friendships they make there can last a lifetime. For parents, cam provides a week’s respite from the responsibilities of caring for a child with special needs, often a full time job on its own.

The BC Lions Society receives no government funding and relies on the generosity of our donors. Camp is 100% subsidized by the Society and the cost of sending on child to camp is $2,400.00. the facilities at Camp Shawnigan are specially designed and equipped to accommodate children with special needs. The addition and maintenance of ramps and lifts, the modification of doorways, washrooms, sports equipment, and the purchase of special waterproof wheelchairs are just a few of the expenses unique to these kind of operations. the special needs of these children also require Easter Seal Camps to have a very low ratio of counsellors to campers. This low ratio ensures that counsellors have the time to fully understand the individual needs of their campers and the ability to provide the attention and assistance they need.

Again, many thanks from the BC Lions Society and the children and their families you are supporting. Without community spirited people like you, none of this is possible.

Together we continue to give children abilities.

Sincerely,
Eileen Torgeson
Manager
BC Lions Society &
Easter Seals Services

Back