• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

very odd interaction with seller of black on tan 98 w/24K miles in NorCal

as a heads-up, i had one of the most odd interactions with this seller on the phone.

so i email the seller a message stating my interest and number...an hour later, he calls me back and asks my name...i just about finish telling him my name when he says "You sound a lot like the guy harassing me about the car. You're not that guy are you?"
Me..."No, this is my first time contacting you"
Him..."Well if you are, I've got your phone number now and I'm going to give it to my attorney."
(You have it because I emailed it to you, genius.)
Me..."Sorry you've been having bad experiences with other buyers, but I can assure you I'm a serious buyer."

I probably should have abandoned ship after the intro, but I did want to know about the car...and yet the drama gets better. He goes on to be very defensive about the car...mostly focusing on how he's lost his job and "after 22 years." Questions like "has the timing / water pump been done" were answered with "Nope, doesn't need it. I checked it myself and and it looks great." :eek: After what seemed like an eternity of WTF-ness, I said "Sorry, but I'm not getting the right vibe about this car (let alone the psychotic owner). Have a nice day."

Proceed with caution. Car might still be an excellent find with a thorough PPI and very patient buyer.

Here's the ad:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/4258603802.html
98 Acura NSX targa - 6 speed
24k original miles
Black with tan interior
Production no 191. 1 of 5 built w this combo
Cleanest NSX around. It has some nice few upgrades. BB stainless exhaust
Dali racing adjustable sway bars, H R springs
Yoka Hama racing tires, advan a048 225/45/16 in front and 255/40/17 in rear, 1inch wheel spacers
KN cold air intake, Limo tint all around
All original stock parts come with the car
Original window sticker, books, keys, and all maintenance paper work available

Please serious buyers only, no time for games.
$55,000 OBO. Trade for p/touring 68 or 69 camaro.
Call roger cell 510-367-5021 or Home 510-964-0367

Last edited:
sounds like he needs a medication adjustment.

just flag the ad, then his phone calls will stop cuz no one can see the ad anymore LOL

but anyway someone like that run away fast, it prob needs everything and if something happens your gonna have to go to court cuz he isn't gonna give you your money back LOL

RUNNNNNNNN from this car

Yeah, now asking is $55K obo.

He's still a bit high I think especially given the deferred maintenance. I'd think closer to 45K, not to mention the mental cost of navigating a deal with an unstable seller.
Funny that he lost his job of 22 years but he'd trade for a Camaro?

thats exactly what i was thinknig. bitching about unemployment but trading for another sports car.... itll never sell for 55

He's still a bit high I think especially given the deferred maintenance. I'd think closer to 45K, not to mention the mental cost of navigating a deal with an unstable seller.
Funny that he lost his job of 22 years but he'd trade for a Camaro?

Your interaction certainly does sound strange. Maybe you caught him on a bad day. I suppose it's possible that he has no idea about the timing belt and water pump schedule and thinks the "checked it himself" explanation will satisfy the new owner. He'll learn as he goes I suppose. As far as him loosing his job...after the way he dealt with the OP it's really not a surprise. Rule #1 in life....Don't be an a$$hole.

I'm guessing most of you do not live out here in the bay area but I'm going to give him the benefit of doubt there only because I know the amount of BS tire kickers you get around here. His first mistake is to list his cell and other private info on a Craigslist ad.

There are so many scams around here that I am extremely cautious as well about any guy calling about my car. Half of them are dreamers, the rest are dealerships trying to sell my car for me or offering me a sales pitch. The remaining 10% are legit buyers but want to ask you every anal question in the book. (I agree those questions need to be asked but not till after the basics are sorted out)

P.S. I've had great experiences on Craigslist but also got robbed by a guy when I tried to sell my Eclipse double din in a popular and safe night hang out spot so this guy may just be playing it safe after all the stuff he was dealing with. Not the best way to sell a car too bad.

Yes - it has been posted on the SF Bay Area CL for numerous months. Well overpriced...and still overpriced at his current price. Add in the crazy factor... definitely not one to jump into...

Did he drop the price? I remember this car being $59k.

Back