• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Viper or NSX?

jp2005,

I'm a youngster here and judging by your pose you look like the same young punk I am so I'll give you what I think.

Get the NSX.

The Viper is bad ass in terms of hp but it lacks the refinement of the NSX in alot of ways (interior, build quality, handling). I have mates who drive huge HP cars (911 4S, EVO's, STi's, and S2000's tuned) and all of them drool over my NSX in terms of its cornering and handling abilities. All of them can equally launch hard and give me a run for my money and I still keep up relatively close. I don't win but I drive a car that is daily driver reliable and still performs amazingly.

Trust me you'll like an NSX for the finesse it represents.

not familar with any type of icy anything pose.

Icy_hot_Stuntaz.jpg

Werd.

For a daily, get the NSX hands down.

Having owned all three generation vipers (93rt/97gts/03Srt), I wouldnt even think of DD'g any of them. Not that it couldnt be done, but i still would not want to drive it on a daily basis.

The Gen I is really just a toy, and the rawest out there..no windows, top, etc. I had a door poppers, vipermania hardtop, and plexi side windows too, but its just totally impractical if you want to drive and park anywhere.

My Gen II GTS was a bit better in terms of conveniences (power windows, etc), but if it does get warm in the cabin and its not too comforable.

Gen III was the most civilized and would be the best if you HAD to use it for DD IMO.

lol not me at all, im generally driving down the road with the country music blairing, i do listen to all kinds of music...dont see how that looks like me at all:rolleyes:

anyhow, just hope to find the right nsx, because i dont want to settle and be dissapointedm it seems to take forever:mad:

i think ill get the nsx for a daily and then a few years from now pick up a viper:confused:

You look just like the Icy Hot dude that was caught on To Catch a Predator. I have owned/own both. The Viper is much less a daily driver, but you won't be embarrased by every half-assed "sporty" sedan out there either.

JP 2005,
First off, I haven't been to this board very often lately (lots of kids and lots of work), but I don't know how your basic question turned into a critique of your picture. That's just stupid to me. To your original question.

I went through a similar decision between the two cars. For a daily driver, the NSX is hands down the car to have. If your funds are unlimited, get both. However, everyone has a budget - it just depends how much you want to spend. After my second NSX, I thought I really wanted something different. My first NSX (92 w/ 50K miles) was a garage queen and the second one (95 w/ 30K miles) was a daily driver for a year. Less than 6 months after I sold it, I wanted another sports car (MB CLK 500 was my DD). I almost bought a 2001 Viper GTS w/ 13K miles but in the end, for all of the reasons previously mentioned (hand built, fit, finish, refinement, handling, etc), I went back to the NSX for the third time!

I used the analogy of the NSX being the perfect supermodel, great tan, straight teeth, poised, and sophisticated. The Viper is more like the girl with a miniskirt, spiked high heels, fishnet stockings, and a bit rough around the edges. We all like the nasty, fishnet stocking chick once in a while but not for the long term "daily driver".

DC935, who has owned all three generation Vipers, said the NSX and this is from first hand experience. The Vipers are raw brutal horsepower and I did not at all feel comfortable throwing it into a corner like the NSX. The NSX is such a perfect car and IMO is the best supercar out there for a DD.

Sounds like you are on the right track with your decision for the NSX. Good luck.

...of course I posted a similar post on a viper forum and got the opposite answers...i I guess it just depends on who you talk to...I have seen plenty of vipers with 150k plus on miles so I'm not really worried about reliability and cost of ownership isn't on my mind I think I would find the nsx more practical but I know I would want a ctsc or a turbo setup down the road...

I'd like to read the posts from any Viper owner pretending that it's a feasible daily driver. I've spoken to dozens of Viper owners and mechanics and none of them has ever tried to pretend that it was a daily driver. Ever. It's not, just like the Lotus Elise is not a daily driver. I can imagine a Viper forum knocking the NSX but I cannot imagine anyone asserting the Viper is a DD. :rolleyes:

If it's a daily driver you want the NSX might not be the car for you but the Viper certainly isn't either.

If you're buying the car for power you will be disappointed with the stock NSX. A CTSC is going to be needed to get you anywhere close to Viper land. And even then you're not going to have that kick-in-the-pants low-end torque you'll get in the viper, Z06 or even a 435 hp Trans Am.

The NSX's advantage can only be felt on the track. Aside from it's ease of use, daily driveability and excellent looks and reliability of course. I know you mentioned servicing the Viper isn't a concern but it should be. Forbes estimates cost of ownership to be $1.00 per mile. :eek: That's up there with Ferrari, Lambo etc. The NSX comes in at around $0.08 per mile I believe...

Not to mention much worse overall gas mileage in the Viper and much more expensive tires.

ive got a 99 viper gts acr 2,000 miles and there is no wayyyyyyyyyyy in hell i would daily drive it. its smaller than a miata on the inside and just not practical. even though the exhaust is in the rear put your leg on the side sill when you get out and it will be burnt. its a fun car i love it will never get rid of it thats why i want an nsx. if i wanted to daily drive it i can. so ill have both LOL

Well I will make this short I have both. My 92 NSX has a few updates to make it handle the way I like my cars to handle. I still would never wont to drive it as a DD to small inside and really not that comfortable but yes WAAAAAY more comfortable than the Viper. I weight only 142 so getting in or out of either is no big deal but for others that or bigger than yes it’s a challenge. As a DD I would not wont the door dings our the extra expense on either the Viper or the NSX.

My 02 viper RT 10 makes my SC NSX feel a little slow. Hands down the best power for the dollar. I am not into all the electronics cars have today I like to wrench on my cars and that’s getting harder and harder to do with modern day cars. I have read and have friend that will confess that it’s a myth that the viper cannot go 100K with out needing major work. The thing is most use them and drive them as a weekend toy. So finding them with 100k is hard but thay are out there and still running very strong.
If you have never taken a driving class or raced at speed in a controlled environment than you will not like the Viper at all you really have to work up to the power and handling but once there you are only going to wont more. It’s a smile a minute car.

So as a DD I would say if you have the money to buy either why not put together another 3-4K and find a great deal on a Honda or a Toyota as your DD than buy whichever car makes you happy and fits your taste. If you like handling and live in a area where you can enjoy a cars handling go with the NSX. If long country roads and freeway onramps is the trill of the day get a Viper.
Also consider your job if you go to the same place 10 miles from your home everyday with a stop for dinner from time to time either will do. If you make many stop and go running from location to location all day like and estimator neither will do, get the Honda or Toyota lock the sports car in garage and enjoy going to dinner with it and giving yourself something to look forward to on the weekends after a hard week at work. JMHO

Sonny,
Clean out some of your mail box, tried to send you a PM about the SC but get the message it's full.

BTW, NSX all the way !

Get both of them. I think I will pick one up right after I by a house within the next year. It will be earlier years viper or the 2006-2007 Z06 and still keep the nsx as my daily driver. Its makes a perfect daily driver for me, sometimes you could use more room but thats the same with the viper too. Eitherway can't go wrong its for you so you know best....have fun with it bro

Not to mention Maintenance, Insurance and dependability.
After all, it is a Honda/Acura.

I've owned both (03 and 00 NSX, 98 Viper RT/10) and this will be an easy choice for you. the NSX is much nicer for a daily driver. More comfortable, nicer interior, much more reliable, less depreciation...I could go on and on.

Icy_hot_Stuntaz.jpg

Ummm.... I am sorry I don't mean to offend anyone but is this picture a joke? Am I supposed to know these guys?

I posted the topic on viperalley about half a year ago, asking if it was a good daily driver(hence, why I said a similar question, I never said they bad mouthed the NSX, just stated I got opposite answers;ie. the Viper can be a daily driver) and can't find it...it was when i was trading in my Crossfire and considering a Viper for my daily driver. Well, me and my daughter's mom split, so I got the Escalade EXT because I had to get something with a backseat for a few months until the baby was old enough to be in a forward facing car seat; I figured I may end up keeping it because I may like driving a truck but ever since I got the EXT all I want is back into a two seater sports car.

Now she is old enough and I am very happy to begin my search for a NSX, but if the right Viper comes along I will go ahead and get one. Winters are not to bad and I have other vehicles for the few snow days we have.

By the way, I am 6'2 and about 200 or so pounds so getting into any coupe is a chore, so this does not bother me.

I have considered every car from an Elise/Exige to a SL55, but I know the NSX or Viper is the right pick.

NSXGMS--Like I stated I couldn't find my exact post but I found this post and very many similar ones on the alley and VCOA all using the Viper for daily drivers by just using Google

"I drive a 1999 RT and drive it every day. I have no leakage problems. The only time you might get wet is sliding over the large sills. Get a RT10 because you get a hard top and you have the option for the open air ride (with soft top in the trunk). Which is fantastic. Its like owning two cars. Email me if you have any questions. I owned a NSX without targa top which led me to the RT. Boy what a difference." --KING RT10
http://forums.viperclub.org/archive-management/544450-viper-daily-drivers.html

Heeltoe914--I could easily get another car to be my daily driver, but I like my daily driver to be my favorite car, so why settle for a Honda or Toyota during the week and the "fun car" only on the weekends, when I could have the "fun car" everyday of the week. I understand why some people don't believe in their nicest car being their daily driver, but that person isn't me.

Guys, please understand I am not defending a Viper saying it is a better daily driver, it IS NOT a better daily driver than a NSX, but at the same time a NSX is not a better daily driver than a SL55. But for some it isn't all about which is the best daily driver, it is what makes you happiest to drive and that's why some here choose to drive their NSX every single day.

Last edited:
When these guys show up and clean the snot out of our NSX's nose...
I'm still confused. I see those cars all the time, they're a dime a dozen. No one gives them a second look except high school boys.

We aren't at the drag strip. In what possible way to do they threaten me?

When these guys show up and clean the snot out of our NSX's nose...
:rolleyes:

Oh ok - whew thank you for clearing that up. I will sell my NSX so I can go and buy an sti or evo today.....:rolleyes:

I don't know much about the viper, but I always thought it was best to stay away from any <97 MYs (except the 96 coupes). I thought the newer 450hp motor was a big leap ahead of it's predecessor in terms of performance. I thought it was almost a second quicker in the quarter mile.

The bottom line is that the NSX is the better daily driver!! If you have lots of cash to burn - then buy both and join the rest of those who do not have enough toys on this planet...lol...or better yet - why don't you keep up with the Jones' and buy a used Lamborghini!!

Dam:cool:

:rolleyes:

Oh ok - whew thank you for clearing that up. I will sell my NSX so I can go and buy an sti or evo today.....:rolleyes:

I was responding to the poster who made the "embarassed" comment. That's all. The next poster asked "how?", and I posted a sample of two 4 dr. sedans which can "embarass" our cars on the street or track. That's all. Don't read more into my response than what's there. I'm an NSX owner, posting on an NSX forum, not a rice-tard.

:rolleyes: squared.

i am surprised you guys are getting so worked up over a viper- anyone appreciating the nsx should probably pick the Z06 first when looking for an american musclecar.

My opinion about the Viper:

Last month when I went to the SF International Auto, to preview the GTR, I saw the Viper on display and no one was over there. When I look at the new 2008 Viper now, I think it's started to look a little dated and does not have that "WOW" appearance. Unlike the first generation NSX, the first generation Vipers really starting to look outdated.

They still have lots of power and one of the right things Dodge/Plymouth has ever produced since the Daytona / SuperBird in the 70's.

My NSX is almost 15 years old and still gets more comments and looks then the other exotic cars including F-car.

Back