• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Viper or NSX?

I agree, I look at the new Vipers and think their boring compared to the earlier years. But that's just my opinion.

ROFL. someone hates 02 style nsx. LOL<i am a fan of it.
viper . u probably like drag race. nsx is built for cornering.
also, american cars choke in corner. only for drag. :biggrin:
I have to kindly disagree in regards to Vipers (and Corvettes). The Viper is an awesome car on the track, it is very crude as others have mentioned, has a big engine, big brakes (for the time), big tires, and thats it. It is much less refined than an NSX, and although American cars have been historically big, heavy, fast in a straight line and can't corner to save their lives, the Viper (and vette to an extent) is an overkill of raw power. Rather than refining cars to maximize their potential/what's there, Dodge put a huge V10 with only 55-ish HP/Liter to produce 450hp, big tires and brakes on it to make the car very competitive. It won LeMan its first year out in GT, and takes more brute force and a completely different driving style to make it go fast compared to the NSX. But it's far from slow around corners. :smile:
First gen Viper is not a good daily driver. In fact, if I remember correctly, it had Velcro windows. My old class mate had one.

NSX will be easier to own as a daily driver, perhaps cheaper.
Only the first 2 years had removable (don't believe velcro was used, but they had little slotts to place the side window in) side windows. Later RT10s (94+ i believe) and all GTS' had roll-down windows.

Hands down NSX is a better (and in general) daily driver. If you like to be very cautious getting in and out (which is hard in general in a Viper) trying not to get burnt from the exhaust that goes through the door sills, and if you like a harsh and loud ride with a crappy stereo and plasticy dash, then you could get away with it as a daily driver -but it's not very practical.

But what the heck, I love the Viper, and I want one...
When these guys show up and clean the snot out of our NSX's nose...
mitsubishi_evo_recall.JPG

2006-Subaru-Impreza-WRX-STI-FA-Speed-1024x768.jpg
Equal drivers = its a close match (EVO/STI vs. NSX)

The real reason behind your post is:
winshirt61.gif
:)

stuntman--i completely agree, i have drove a viper and contrary to popular belief it handles very decently(i know nsx's do handle better); this is often one of the most overlooked attributes of a viper. i agree it is not near as refined as the nsx, but i do like brute power and the basicness of the vipers. i will be taking a look at a viper at a local lot within the next few days, ill be sure and let you

It's funny for you to think that someone who wanted a nsx wouldn't look at a viper and would get a z06. although i like the look of corvettes are way to common see about 10 or so a day, and z06's look too much like the base vettes. i also like the targa the nsx and viper rt/10 offer, which is a no go with the z06

i am very interested in the two cars...and still very undecided

From what you have mentioned, I think you'd be happier with the Viper.

stuntman--i completely agree, i have drove a viper and contrary to popular belief it handles very decently(i know nsx's do handle better); this is often one of the most overlooked attributes of a viper. i agree it is not near as refined as the nsx, but i do like brute power and the basicness of the vipers. i will be taking a look at a viper at a local lot within the next few days, ill be sure and let you

It's funny for you to think that someone who wanted a nsx wouldn't look at a viper and would get a z06. although i like the look of corvettes are way to common see about 10 or so a day, and z06's look too much like the base vettes. i also like the targa the nsx and viper rt/10 offer, which is a no go with the z06

i am very interested in the two cars...and still very undecided
A lot of people toss the idea of how a car "handles" around without explaining whether its the 'feel' of the cars handling, or the outright performance of a cars handling (I may be accused of this as well...). Like mentioned before, the NSX is a better handling car in terms of feel, refinement, and attitude. In terms of outright grip and performance the Viper probably still has the upper hand, hands down to the early year NSXs with the tiny 205/225 tire setup. But with wider tires (235/275), the NSX could hold its own with the viper's (2nd Gen) 275/345 tire combo -but still remains down on power and a lot of torque (which can be fixed with a turbo :biggrin:)

So in terms of handling, the NSX is more refined and has a better balance, but in terms of outright grip and performance, stock 4 stock, probably would have to say Viper, but it dosn't mean you can't drive an NSX to be faster than a Viper owner, or modify it lightly to perform better than a Viper. But so can they so it could be a never ending argument.

I have not backed to back an NSX to Viper on the same track to see which one can post a faster lap... yet, but i'll be sure to dig up this thread once I do :smile:

I wrote these a few years ago, but here's the articles from my old site:

on the NSX vs. Viper: http://web.archive.org/web/20040722012016/www.nexttestdrive.net/nsx_comparo.html

on the Viper alone: http://web.archive.org/web/20040607070600/www.nexttestdrive.net/viper_gts.html
Very nice writeup! I agree with everything you have stated except I would have worded:

"The NSX looks out for you...where the Viper will bite you out of spite for you not listening to it."

to more on the lines of:

"The Viper will do whatever YOU ask it to... In a big way (whether thats a good thing or a bad thing). If you do not give the correct inputs to the car you might not like the response, but by no fault of the car but by fault of the driver. The Viper is not forgiving, it rewards correct inputs and punishes incorrect inputs"

But in all honesty, I can't remember when I agreed with any publication/writeup (magazine, TV, etc...) as much as I agree with yours.

I like your writing style, your description of the both Viper compared to NSX is spot on, your ability to communicate the feel and experience of being in and driving the Viper is far better and more accurate than most automotive journalists.

Having a lot of seat time in both, you have described what it is like in a Viper better than anything I can remember. Do you write for any magazine? If not, their are many out there that should hire you.

And yes, Viper + no ABS is not very practical nor safe for daily driving use. They require your attention enough without traction control or any other form of stability system, but throw in a lack of ABS and its a bad combination for most people. The later year (and 2nd Gen) ABS equipped Vipers give a much better sense of security (but not much).

But anyway, nice writeup. Have you done any more like this for any other cars?

Your kinda screwed . either way if you get the viper your gonna say sometimes i wish i got the nsx. But if you get the nsx you might say damn i wish i got a viper. buy both of them problem solved

Stuntman : how are you? I think we meet at the track a few weeks ago. I should have let you take the Viper out even in the rain, I am sure you would have shown me and other thats its a myth how a Viper handles, I have been loving it.

Stuntman : how are you? I think we meet at the track a few weeks ago. I should have let you take the Viper out even in the rain, I am sure you would have shown me and other thats its a myth how a Viper handles, I have been loving it.
Hey Heeltoe914,

I'm doing pretty good. Yes we did meet a few weeks ago at Streets of Willow. I was admiring your Viper (the car that got me into liking cars 15 years ago) that day.

I was doing a little instructing that weekend, maybe next time I'll ride with you for a session and if you're willing, it would be interesting to see the laptimes of the viper vs. NSX. :smile:

Billy

I have seen you drive, I will ride with you.

i have a 97 supercharged gts 17kmiles that i drive daily when im not on my hayabusa. i am 25 and love driving the viper around. it is cheap to maintain. and fun to drive.. get the viper

Well I confirmed what I was saying about the Viper being a great handling car in the hands of the right driver.

Take a look at what went on New Years day.

I really had to think hard about taking the Viper over the NSX when in comes to twisties, but I loved every minute of it against the heavy hitters in this group. I wonted to make a statement and with Viper in hand we did. The Viper was tracking and passing with a rock solid feel drive it smooth and it pays you big time. I live 3 mile from ACH so driving up there is like going to the supermarket for me, we also hit all the great roads up in Santa Clarita.

I think to drive a Viper for 15 min and than form and opinion is doing yourself and the car and injustice. I two did that but after the first 200 miles I love the car.

Attachments

• viper Groupe  hill pic 07NY (Small).jpg
    viper Groupe hill pic 07NY (Small).jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 104
  • viper Groupe pic 07NY (Small).jpg
    viper Groupe pic 07NY (Small).jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 87
  • viper Groupe 959 pic 07NY.jpg
    viper Groupe 959 pic 07NY.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 108
  • viper Groupe TO pic 07NY (Small).jpg
    viper Groupe TO pic 07NY (Small).jpg
    52 KB · Views: 102
  • viper Groupe TO 2 pic 07NY (Small).jpg
    viper Groupe TO 2 pic 07NY (Small).jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:

Attachments

• viper Groupe TO 3 pic 07NY (Small).jpg
    viper Groupe TO 3 pic 07NY (Small).jpg
    49 KB · Views: 198
SORRY TO BRING THIS BACK FROM THE DEAD

I have had a 99 Viper rt10 and a 2003 SRT10..I currently own a 1991 NSX...

With my BBSC and KN filter my 1991 nsx is as fast as my stock 99 Viper was..I tested them both and was able to run similar trapp speeds in the 1/4 mile...

But just a few bolt ons on the 99 rt10 viper and she trapped a solid 3 mph higher than my BBSC/kn filter NA1 nsx..

my 2003 SRT10 was faster than both of them in bone stock form..

But thats only half the story.

The Vipers are exotic cars just like the nsx and have their own unique look.. ( especially the RT10)

But the nsx looks a lot more of what people consider exotic..It has that low slung small mid engine look going for it...To me it looks like a low down cheap version of a Saleen or other superexotics..The Diablo defiently comes to mind..

no one is gonna confuse a viper for any high end exoctics..But some will with the nsx..

While the Viper has a monstrous beautiful engine ( especially my 2003 SRT10) the engine being in the rear under the glass in the rear on the nsx is just at a differant level...

Then theirs the interior..

My 1991 NSX's interior puts my 99 rt10s interior to shame..but Id give my 2003 vipers interior a slight nudge over my nsx...But comparing my 2003 SRT10 vipers interior to my friends 2005 NSX interior and it's no contest. the NSX wins hands down...

Then theirs the drivability.. YOU CAN NOT DAILY DRIVE A 1992-2002 VIPER...It just aint gonna work. These cars are VERY easy to wreck. I almost wrecked mine just leaving a stop sighn. the raw power doewn low in these years is just Immense.

You can however Daily drive a 2003-2008 viper. They were tamed and the interior comfort was much improved. I drove my 2003 SRT10 Daily for weeks at a time because it was so comfortable. my 99 rt10 however was only for weekends...

But trust me you DID NOT want to go through a mcdonalds pick up in my 99 rt10 or my 2003 srt10..The hoods are VERY long and they buck at low speeds..

My NSX on the other hand..Well just going through a parking lot to go pick up food through a Mcdonalds drive through feels fun. Almost like Im on a little race track. The front end of the nsx is VERY short and feels gokart like. The car LOVES cruising at low speeds...

With my BBSC and KN filter my 1991 nsx is as fast as my stock 99 Viper was..I tested them both and was able to run similar trapp speeds in the 1/4 mile...

But just a few bolt ons on the 99 rt10 viper and she trapped a solid 3 mph higher than my BBSC/kn filter NA1 nsx..

The Vipers are exotic cars just like the nsx and have their own unique look.. ( especially the RT10)

But the nsx looks a lot more of what people consider exotic..It has that low slung small mid engine look going for it...To me it looks like a low down cheap version of a Saleen or other superexotics..The Diablo defiently comes to mind..

no one is gonna confuse a viper for any high end exoctics..But some will with the nsx..

While the Viper has a monstrous beautiful engine ( especially my 2003 SRT10) the engine being in the rear under the glass in the rear on the nsx is just at a differant level...

My 1991 NSX's interior puts my 99 rt10s interior to shame..but Id give my 2003 vipers interior a slight nudge over my nsx...But comparing my 2003 SRT10 vipers interior to my friends 2005 NSX interior and it's no contest. the NSX wins hands down...

Then theirs the drivability.. YOU CAN NOT DAILY DRIVE A 1992-2002 VIPER...It just aint gonna work. These cars are VERY easy to wreck. I almost wrecked mine just leaving a stop sighn. the raw power doewn low in these years is just Immense.

You can however Daily drive a 2003-2008 viper. They were tamed and the interior comfort was much improved. I drove my 2003 SRT10 Daily for weeks at a time because it was so comfortable. my 99 rt10 however was only for weekends...

But trust me you DID NOT want to go through a mcdonalds pick up in my 99 rt10 or my 2003 srt10..The hoods are VERY long and they buck at low speeds..

My NSX on the other hand..Well just going through a parking lot to go pick up food through a Mcdonalds drive through feels fun. Almost like Im on a little race track. The front end of the nsx is VERY short and feels gokart like. The car LOVES cruising at low speeds...

it's good to hear you, snakey. haven't seen you for a long time. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Snakey!!! You are still alive? I took a 10 - 1 be that you were dead by now. I was just getting ready to collect.

I remember driving one of the original Vipers (I think it was a 94), and the thing was huge fun. It didn't have the HP of the newer ones but that killer torque curve was still there. I've driven plenty of 400hp cars and this thing 'felt' much faster. I'd have to say fit and finish on the was embarrassing, and the clutch was insanely stiff. I almost let out a grunt every time I had to shift. Daily drive that thing and your left calf is going to look like Arnold's.

The whole myth about American cars not being able to handle is so dead. It's just like German cars being totally unreliable.

Yea, this stuff was true 20 years ago, but today it's a different ball game. You can refuse to respect American muscle and German engineering if you want, but all that will do is get you behind in the game. Never underestimate your opponets.

With that said, if you can afford these cars, why wouldn't you just get a $7000 civic as your DD?

Then just buy what you REALLY want and don't worry about the DD wear and tear on the car.

The whole myth about American cars not being able to handle is so dead. It's just like German cars being totally unreliable.

Yea, this stuff was true 20 years ago, but today it's a different ball game. You can refuse to respect American muscle and German engineering if you want, but all that will do is get you behind in the game. Never underestimate your opponets.

With that said, if you can afford these cars, why wouldn't you just get a $7000 civic as your DD?

Then just buy what you REALLY want and don't worry about the DD wear and tear on the car.

Agreed!! :biggrin:

I have seen plenty of vipers with 150k plus on miles so I'm not really worried about reliability and cost of ownership.

:eek::eek::eek:Ok man, I've NEVER seen a Viper with OVER 100k. I've never HEARD of one that was super reliable. They have NEVER been known for that. You may have to go to a Viper forum to hear good things about reliability. You don't need to come to Prime to hear how reliable NSX's are. Just look at this report. This was done in SEPT. of THIS YEAR.

http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/article/105665/Best-10,-Worst-10-Cars-for-Repair-Costs

The Viper is the NUMBER ONE WORST CAR for yearly repair costs.

And as a final note, when I was looking for my special ride, I was looking at a Vette, an NSX and a Viper. The Vettes you see everywhere. Vipers turn heads but they ride like hell and for the price I was looking at them... I didn't think the plastic "jeep windows" were a real hot option. I'm not tooting the horn of NSX's. I don't care what you buy. I know I've never thought twice about my purchase. I don't think I'll ever sell it. But don't come on here talking about how reliable Vipers are. That's just plain dumb. :tongue:

On a side note, 3 of the top best built cars were Hondas. Good luck.

Very nice writeup! I agree with everything you have stated except I would have worded:

"The NSX looks out for you...where the Viper will bite you out of spite for you not listening to it."

to more on the lines of:

"The Viper will do whatever YOU ask it to... In a big way (whether thats a good thing or a bad thing). If you do not give the correct inputs to the car you might not like the response, but by no fault of the car but by fault of the driver. The Viper is not forgiving, it rewards correct inputs and punishes incorrect inputs"

from personal experience, the above pretty much sums it up- the viper is by far one of the least forgiving cars to drive fast anywhere BUT the straight line. any little hesitation, missed apex or gravel / dirt will only amplify the fact that there is such a thing as too much power for the exercise.

I own a NSX and my dad owned a Viper for several years before getting a Z06. The Viper is fun for a weekend drive, but was not fun when going to run errands. I found the NSX to be much better for a dd.
I have never thought about owning both because the NSX is good for dd and a total blast on a weekend run. Of course, I live around a lot of forests and twisty roads that go through hills. In Kansas where everything is flat I may like the Viper a little better.:biggrin:

Hope this helps.

Back