• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

VIS Carbon Fiber Hood (Backyard GT style)

Price: $500.00/each (3 remaining)
We're blowing out our remaining stock on these carbon fiber hoods. Now you can look cool at the gas station for less, and you won't be seen in the McDonald's drive thru trying to pay for a more expensive Japanese version.
The quality is excellent on these - the mold was made from a more expensive Japanese variant.
Anyway, we're blowing these out for $500 a piece, which no matter how you cut it, is a fantastic deal, given the newfound attention your NSX will receive (oh sorry I meant performance increase :) )

If you do a search, you can find higher quality pictures of the hood, but I didn't want to steal them from someone else's post.
If you have any questions at all, please don't hesitate to contact me via:
PM
Email: [email protected]
Phone (10am-6pm Pacific time): 626.968.5608
Fax: 626.968.9478

This is my first vendor "for sale" post, and my goal is to establish an excellent reputation among NSX owners. I will bend over backwards to acheive this. I intend to sell ONLY parts that we have in stock, and deliver in a very timely fashion. I work at an actual office, with warehouse, established in 1997.

Carbon-Hood001.jpg

Carbon-Hood002.jpg

Carbon-Hood004.jpg

Carbon-Hood005.jpg

Carbon-Hood006.jpg

From the VIS website:
attachment.php

"ViS Carbon Fiber Hoods are made from the finest carbon fiber available. Each hood is protected with a UV coating, that will allow the hood to hold its high gloss finish. All our carbon fiber hoods are Grade A and above. ViS Carbon Fiber Hoods have a tight carbon weave, rolled edges, and one piece undersiding. Make sure when purchasing a ViS hood, look for the ViS Authenticity Badge."

Last edited:
NSX-R version? Also, front lip options?

hmmm... Nice to know there are competitive offers out there for CF hoods for the NSX. :smile:

Is there any plans to make a NSX-R version of this hood :confused:
(I'd be very interested in that) And if there is such an option, are these hoods easily prepped for paint (OEM paint quality finish is desired)

Also, the yellow NSX pictured w/ the hood in your post... The front lip on that NSX, is it the Comptech Widebody Lip? It looks molded to the front lower bumper; or is that infact a different front bumper w/ an integrated lower lip? IF you can look into a lip like that for the OEM 01-01 NSX front bumper, I'd be committed to buy immediately (if priced reasonably of-course, on par w/ WW). :wink:

I think there is a great opportunity now for a non-CF/carbon-glass front lip (similar material as WW front lip, for durability & cost) as Wings West is no longer in business. Particularly a lip that resembles the Comptech version!
:biggrin:

Im interested at that price....how much for shipping cost? or is that included??!!? :smile:

zip 60108

me too

$500 is what? include S & H if so............IM DEFINITELY IN! That makes me 2nd in line for 3 hoods...lol!

That is if the fit is right too, ya know the seibon hood was placed on in a matter of minutes (belive 30 to be exact) so hows the fitting on this VIS one?...and are they rolled edges?

If its all good then like I said IM IN!

Let me try to get all of these questions at once:
First of all, one hood has been sold, so there are now 2 remaining (in stock anyway).

Secondly, that price does NOT include shipping. Shipping varies depending on where the hood is going, but is typically around $115 due to the enormous size of the box. I have emailed/pm'ed exact shipping costs.

Brad, I'm about 45mins. from Costa Mesa (I actually commute from Newport). If you'd like to swing by and check the hood out, you're more than welcome. Our address here is:
16059 Kaplan Ave.
City of Industry, CA 91744
Lemme know before you leave so I can pull one from the warehouse.

The hoods DO have the rolled edges, and fit every bit as well as the Seibon hoods do.

Osiris: As per the cf NSX-R hood, we're willing to take on such a project, given that the demand is there. I'd have to get ~20 people in (group buy) in order to begin. Maybe I should gauge interest?
The hoods are easily prepped for paint - just a quick sand, some primer and you're ready to go.
The lip is an integrated design - we sell it as one whole bumper. It is designed to look just like the Comptech widebody lip.

As for Wings West, there has been some confusion about their status, most likely due to the lack of a press release, but here goes: VIS has just purchased Wings West, and is in the process of moving operations from Mexico back to City of Industy, CA. Figure on them being up and running by the summer.

On the carbon fiber trunk... yes.

One just came in - still figuring out what it's gonna cost though. I'll shoot some pictures of it tomorrow!

NSX-R version of CF hood & lip/bumper availability/cost?

95Mr2Turbo said:
Osiris: As per the cf NSX-R hood, we're willing to take on such a project, given that the demand is there. I'd have to get ~20 people in (group buy) in order to begin. Maybe I should gauge interest?

hmmm... Yes, setup a Group_Buy 'feeler' thread here on 'Prime... Including questions to people as to which NSX-R hood available currently do they want it to be most akin to! I just want it to look close to as NSX-R as possible! :cool:

95Mr2Turbo said:
The lip is an integrated design - we sell it as one whole bumper. It is designed to look just like the Comptech widebody lip.

I might be looking for a lower front bumper (mine's a bit "roughed up"... :redface: ) I'd be very much interested in the integrated lip/bumper. Please post some more info' or pm me about the cost, etc. Would you consider an OEM lower front bumper/lip combo? Very interested!

I have two questions:

1) How much would it be for just the front bumper? Do you have a different picture of the bumper? Will it fit with the non-wide body fenders?

2) What kind of mirrors are they? Do you sell them as well?

TigerNSX said:
I have two questions:

1) How much would it be for just the front bumper? Do you have a different picture of the bumper? Will it fit with the non-wide body fenders?

2) What kind of mirrors are they? Do you sell them as well?

Ditto.. I have the same two questions. :biggrin:

type-r.............type-r hood.......
i want type-r hood.....let's do group buy!!!

do you have any plan to make wide body with carbon?
wide rear fenders....side skirts....with carbon........yum yum !!

jimmy

The front bumper works with non - widebody fenders. As you know, it's an original design, based on demand for WW lower lip, and Mugen variants. I have this bumper in stock, and cost is substantially cheaper than other aftermarket offerings, at $750.00.

Here's another look:
VIS-wb front.jpg

The mirrors are about a month away after placing your order. They are Testarossa style units.

95MR2turbo

:eek:

I MUST have a pair of those beautiful mirrors. Please keep me posted as
to when you will have them ready! I have had these in mind for some
time now those are absolutely perfect! Thanks!!!

Terry
T-Med

As of right now, the mirrors do not come in CF. There are no plans right now to make the hood for 02+ cars, but I shall keep you posted should that change.

As of now, all in stock hoods have been sold. We anticipate getting more in on Monday.

Hey all,

Wanted to post an email that I received today from Art about the VIS hood:
I feel that it is an honest assessment of the fitment as well as the quality. I want to be selling exactly what I'm selling here :)
bottom line is that the hood will fit, but it does require modification. Because Art was able to perform the necessary fabrication work doesn't mean that a novice will be able to.

Without further delay!

James,

I'd like to write you prior to posting on NSXPrime. For details call my cell as I don't have much writing time!

Rating system:

1- Does not meet requirements
2 - Barely meets requirements and expectations
3 - Meet requirements
4 - Exceeds requirements and expectation
5 - Far exceed requirements

Exterior finish and workmanship - 4
Note: definitely worth the money spent $500, but the product should not be sold for more due to all the required modification described below.

Alignment to body - 2
Note:
The hood is narrower than the stock by a few millimeter, that exposes some of the fender attachment hardware. And has bigger opening around the head lites.
See my writing on fit below.
General curvature is almost perfect.

Fit - 1
Hood
[at first] The would not sit on the car properly, front or back was up by about 3/4". The problem was with the under hood fiberglass support structure right on top of the weather-stripping going across the car (that runs about 12" in front of the windshield from side to side)
Solution: I had to keep removing fiberglass from the bottom with dremel tool and keep trying to get the hood to sit on the car properly. Some of the fiberglass has been removed completely and I need to re-fiberglass all those areas to maintain overall rigidity and esthetics.
Bottom line: The hood thickness exceeds the specification.

Wire mesh
Has to be pushed back on top of electrical box and hood stand bracket (that are on the right and left side right behind the radiator) in order to eliminate rubbing.

Last but not least: I have not weigh the hood but it seems heavier that stock aluminium hood.
Overall rating: 3 because I like the design and the good exterior finish.

Take care,
Art

That being said, we've sold 8-10 of these in the past and haven't heard anything like this yet. In fact, we've had calls commending the fitment! This can be attributed to the inconsistent nature in production with CF/Fiberglass pieces.

I just bought one of the VIS Hoods and will let everyone know if I have the same fitment issues. But I must say I am pleased with the quality of the hood. A 4 Rating on Art's scale would be accurate. Thus far my dealings with James and his crew have been excellent. He has always been available and willing to help. Upon further discussions I've learned that they can get just about anything CF for the NSX. I would suggest starting a list and then seeing what he can do. :smile:

And for anyone who didn't catch the earlier posts, this company just purchased Wings West and is in the process of relocating the manufacuring warehouse from Mexico back to Southern California this summer.

James,

Needless to say that you have been very helpful as Casper91, myself and others have gone through experiencing and experssing your customer satisafaction skills; BUT if most/all the sold hoods have had near perfect fitment then it should be fair to request that my hood be inspected and returned to Vis for replacement at no charge. It is probably a defective hood and would not pass their final quality inspections.

I definately look forward to other buyers feedback on their fitment.

Please chime in!

Let me add again the top finish is great.

Last edited:
could whoever bought and installed these hoods place pics on this so everyone can see...rather then hearing about it. I think that would be great. what do you all say?

Back