• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Want to test injectors and coil Packs

NSX Brethren
I have broke down my engine because I have a head gasket issue. I waffled on whether I would do this my self or have a great mechanic do it. In the end I decided to do it my self. I’m confident in my abilities and a total removal gives me the ability to square away every single wrong bolt, worn tube and bad gasket I find. (More on this later) In addition, I love bling-y crap so the money I saved will go into powder coating, polishing ect..

The question:
I have quite a bit of sludge build up in two intakes. I think its from a bad injector letting fuel puddle. Is there a DIY way to test these things ?

Also
I had rust around my rear bank coil packs (I believe the moisture came from the well documented window garnish drip). I want to make sure that these rear coil packs have not had any adverse affects from the moisture. Is there a way to test these as well?

For Entertainment:
As some of you know (Oldmnsnsx) I practically stole my nsx from a guy getting a divorce many years ago. As I explore my car the amount foolishness I find never ceases to amaze me. This is going to top any story.

So I take my heads to the machine shop to have them checked for cracks. I get a phone call... the machinists starts the conversation with "Do you have a mechanic or somebody that don’t like you" ((long pause)) No why ..
"well how do you suppose a lug stud got in your head"
I went through all the stages of greif in .5 seconds
panic (What the ..!!!!)
anger (Who did this!!)
denial (maybe they have the wrong heads)
acceptence (Omg omg omg)

Finally embarassment: I say: "Sir I have no idea how a lug stud got in my head" machinist: "in 35 years Ive never seen anything like this, your lucky, there was no damage to anything"
Fervent thankful prayer followed........

Hey Knukle Head,

I would take your injectors to a shop that has an injector cleaner and have them cleaned and flowed. Out West here they charge around $25 ea to do that. I know that there are places on the web where you can send them out, but you will have to check on price.

The coil packs can be checked by using your OHM meter to check the resistance. (PG 23-95)

Be sure to clean the throttle body and intake plenum, they get dirty too. (You might find the lug nut for the stud)

Lucky You on that lug stud.....that is STRANGE!!!! The wife must have known where to put the oil and figured that since he was acting like a "STUD" (just reading between the lines of the divorce papers) that his "HOT CAR" needed a stud put in it, her parting "BLOW job".

Brad

RC Engineering for injector flow/clean:

http://www.rceng.com/Fuel-Injector-Cleaning-P43C0.aspx

Coils:

In regard to the coils, the ohm test will tell you if it is dead, but most times the issue is that the end rubber cap(that the spark plug fits into) has stretched with age and does not make a good electrical seal, therefore the coil will misfire. To check this insert the plug into the coil pak, and it should not be loose at all, in fact it should require a good firm pull to get the plug out.

HTH,
LarryB

Back