• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

WARNING: Mobile Smog Checkpoint

Here is a legal question that hopefully someone can answer.
Don't they need cause to pull you over and subject you to this screening?

agreed - it brings up the question of some sort of profiling (not racial at least but what kind of car you're diving for sure) especially if its modified! It sounds ot me like they're trying to outlaw any aftermarket modifications. I'm glad i have CARB headers and OEM cats but the oem cats are too restrictive and I want the extra air flow... I can tell it has reduced the performance of the car significantly.... :frown:

About 2 years ago I got tagged in one exactly like this on the northwest corner of Palos Verdes Drive North and Hawthorne Blvd.

You have got to be kidding me...I make that turn almost every single day and never saw anything like that.

Not that I have anything to worry about.

They have been trying to implement this in Arizona over the last couple years. However their ideal method is to integrate emissions sensor detection into the current speed/red light cameras that are so widely in use.

You will get a notification in the mail to visit your emissions testing station otherwise the registration will be pulled if you're over threshold.

There are two things that really upset me:
#1 - There are a lot of out of state plates, in fact plenty from Sonora Mexico that have zero emissions driving around on our roads. This makes me believe Arizona residents are being targeted, and is unfair.
#2 - Citizens continue to vote these idiots into power. We are very close to a police state. What's the percentage of vehicles on the road that actually fail emissions? Very small. So small those few vehicles wouldn't have much of an environmental impact, not to mention those are the same people that can't afford to fix their vehicles in the first place.

Funding should definitely be placed in more important life or death type programs, such as violent crime law enforcement, or border protection to stop the drug cartels from murdering families in home invasions.

they have been trying to implement this in arizona over the last couple years. However their ideal method is to integrate emissions sensor detection into the current speed/red light cameras that are so widely in use.

You will get a notification in the mail to visit your emissions testing station otherwise the registration will be pulled if you're over threshold.

#1 - there are a lot of out of state plates, in fact plenty from sonora mexico that have zero emissions driving around on our roads. This makes me believe arizona residents are being targeted, and is unfair.
#2 - citizens continue to vote these idiots into power. We are very close to a police state. What's the percentage of vehicles on the road that actually fail emissions? Very small. So small those few vehicles wouldn't have much of an environmental impact, not to mention those are the same people that can't afford to fix their vehicles in the first place.

Funding should definitely be placed in more important life or death type programs, such as violent crime law enforcement, or border protection to stop the drug cartels from murdering families in home invasions.

i agree 100% nobama 2012

they have been trying to implement this in arizona over the last couple years. However their ideal method is to integrate emissions sensor detection into the current speed/red light cameras that are so widely in use.

#1 - there are a lot of out of state plates, in fact plenty from sonora mexico that have zero emissions driving around on our roads. This makes me believe arizona residents are being targeted, and is unfair.
#2 - citizens continue to vote these idiots into power. We are very close to a police state. What's the percentage of vehicles on the road that actually fail emissions? Very small. So small those few vehicles wouldn't have much of an environmental impact, not to mention those are the same people that can't afford to fix their vehicles in the first place.

+1000000000 AZ state's funds are being wasted on those "FEMA / DHS Checkpoints" and they'll probably start doing smog checks too... "Show me your papers!" Sounds familiar! The governor of AZ needs to step down.

Last edited:
Just register in city that doesn't require smog...done deal. Most people don't know that it isn't a state wide requirement.

How or where can I register my car smog free in ca lol

Blythe CA does not require smog. Never has. I don't live there but I do however run DC headers, test pipes and pride V1. Every year when my registration comes in...smog exempt. The caveat is you cannot have a PO Box. Also, all out of state cars coming in for first time registration must pass smog. Without divulging a step by step process to circumnavigate the smog requirements, hopefully you can fill in the blanks. For me it is worth not having to deal with all the BS for a car I use once a month, if that. I believe there are other cities that have this same "loophole" (although it really isn't). DMV should have the list but just running a google search produced 18 counties that don't require smog. Screw it, here is the list of required smog counties (scroll half way down) http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/smogfaq.htm. It has everything to do with population size. If you are registered in a rural area there is typically no smog requirement. Most people don't realize that smog ISN'T a state requirement but a regional requirement. Ultimately, if you can't get around having to smog there are always other avenues but in my experience you'll likley only find them via a face to face conversation.

Hope this helps.

Nick

Last edited:
Blythe CA does not require smog. Never has. I don't live there but I do however run DC headers, test pipes and pride V1. Every year when my registration comes in...smog exempt. The caveat is you cannot have a PO Box. Also, all out of state cars coming in for first time registration must pass smog. Without divulging a step by step process to circumnavigate the smog requirements, hopefully you can fill in the blanks. For me it is worth not having to deal with all the BS for a car I use once a month, if that. I believe there are other cities that have this same "loophole" (although it really isn't). DMV should have the list but just running a google search produced 18 counties that don't require smog. Screw it, here is the list of required smog counties (scroll half way down) http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/smogfaq.htm. It has everything to do with population size. If you are registered in a rural area there is typically no smog requirement. Most people don't realize that smog ISN'T a state requirement but a regional requirement. Ultimately, if you can't get around having to smog there are always other avenues but in my experience you'll likley only find them via a face to face conversation.

Hope this helps.

Nick

Good info! Thanx. I just my cats back on. Not worth the trouble here in la.

Hope this helps.

Nick

You are mostly right on this. Smog is a state requirement, it's required for all cars sold and brought into the state of CA. The requirements for Smog (the levels, the testing methods, etc) are the same all across CA.

What isn't a requirement across the state is biennial smog inspections for vehicle registration renewals. Some CA counties allow automatic renewal without a smog inspection on a biennial basis.

OK, I think I have finally seen one of these. There was one setup this morning along southbound Hawthorne Blvd, just up the hill from Ernie Howlett Park. Good thing I was driving the other way because it was certainly holding up traffic heading on to the peninsula.

It is nice that California is saving the world for the rest of us. Toyota is making a killing selling the Prius on false expectations. (you too can save the world!) To build a Prius battery alone takes resources that pollutes the world.

To put this in perspective... India and China have no smog regulations at all. I was in China and on a good day the smog is so bad you cannot see three city blocks away. China has fewer cars than California, but not for long. They are growing at an exponential rate. I have also been in the Philippines and two stroke oil burning cycles are popular and polluting the sky.

Here in Alberta, Canada we do not have smog checks. I would prefer to see at least safety checks to keep the junk off the roads. Here is an example of how laxed the regulations are...my buddy bought a brand new Dodge Challenger and had the catalytic converters replaced with test pipes before new car delivery. The dealer was happy to do it. This is not an issue, as the car will never be checked for smog, unless it leaves the province.

If I lived in California, I would drive a '60s Mustang as you only need to pass 1960's smog regulations. (please clarify if I am wrong about this)

It seems that regulations are too tight in places like California, and too laxed in other places. A happy medium everywhere would satisfy more people and protect more of the environment.

It is nice that California is saving the world for the rest of us. Toyota is making a killing selling the Prius on false expectations. (you too can save the world!) To build a Prius battery alone takes resources that pollutes the world.

To put this in perspective... India and China have no smog regulations at all. I was in China and on a good day the smog is so bad you cannot see three city blocks away. China has fewer cars than California, but not for long. They are growing at an exponential rate. I have also been in the Philippines and two stroke oil burning cycles are popular and polluting the sky.

Here in Alberta, Canada we do not have smog checks. I would prefer to see at least safety checks to keep the junk off the roads. Here is an example of how laxed the regulations are...my buddy bought a brand new Dodge Challenger and had the catalytic converters replaced with test pipes before new car delivery. The dealer was happy to do it. This is not an issue, as the car will never be checked for smog, unless it leaves the province.

If I lived in California, I would drive a '60s Mustang as you only need to pass 1960's smog regulations. (please clarify if I am wrong about this)

It seems that regulations are too tight in places like California, and too laxed in other places. A happy medium everywhere would satisfy more people and protect more of the environment.

http://chinasmog.wordpress.com/2012/08/14/china-has-laws-against-pollution-but-why-dont-they-work/

I got this quote from a poster on Fchat in the socal section. Any truth to this?

Starting 2013 no more Dyno test for cars that are 0BD2 and newer meaning 1997 and up all it is plug in scan tool at the smog place no check engine light no dyno test and your on your way. Oh and my favorite for 2013 Motorcycles will need a smog test and the awesome part about that is Harly-Davidsons will need their stock Exhausts put back on - yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

cars 1997 and older that are OBD1 they will still be apart of the old dyno test and problem is those places will start drying up and god only knows how far one will have to drive to a center that has those. should be interesting to see what happens in the long run.

I got this quote from a poster on Fchat in the socal section. Any truth to this?

My understanding was it's true for cars 2000 and newer. VISUAL and OBD2 inspection (so you still have to hide your turbo real good)

So 1995-1999 OBD2 cars will still get dyno tested.

http://www.smogtips.com/new-smog-law-AB-2289.cfm

Can't wait for my NSX to turn 25 so I can get it a California Historical Vehicle plate and be free from all this smog bullshit.

I was pulled over the other day for having an "aftermarket exhaust" (not bc it was loud) - and I said "look its a $3k exhaust from japan" and showed him a printout of the law on aftermarket exhausts (I have oem cats on now anyways) so he let me go... not sure why the cops even bother dont they have anything else better to do? :mad:

Where did you get the print out of the law on aftermarket exhaust? Linky? I want to have it in my car just in case. Thanks.
I was pulled over the other day for having an "aftermarket exhaust" (not bc it was loud) - and I said "look its a $3k exhaust from japan" and showed him a printout of the law on aftermarket exhausts (I have oem cats on now anyways) so he let me go... not sure why the cops even bother dont they have anything else better to do? :mad:

You are mostly right on this. Smog is a state requirement, it's required for all cars sold and brought into the state of CA. The requirements for Smog (the levels, the testing methods, etc) are the same all across CA.

What isn't a requirement across the state is biennial smog inspections for vehicle registration renewals. Some CA counties allow automatic renewal without a smog inspection on a biennial basis.

You're absolutely right. I realize I wasn't as clear as could be on the specific details you mentioned. I didn't mean to say that new registrations didn't need smog certification just that the renewal for me was exempt as well as in other various counties.

Nick

Passed through one of these smog check checkpoints yesterday near my place (West Covina), on Vincent ave. I was in my DD, thankfully not the nsx. But it seems they have an eye for certain cars. Cars that you know gets used on a daily basis and probably have high mileage. I noticed a couple older model vans and a small truck. I have 95 Lexus, so thank goodness they didn't tell me to pull to the side.

Back