• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Warning! Re: Larry Garcia, Nsx Modified

Larry & Butch could certainly use a secretary! I am lucky to live 5 miles away from such good guys & great NSX mechanics and consider it an honor to have my car worked on by them. I leave Larry a message about a "routine" problem and I know he will call me back when he has a chance, sometimes it might take up to a week. If it is "Sooper-Emergency" status, I roll up in person & they hook it up on the spot, often free of charge. So basically, it's a two-way street, I let things slide that are a hassle for them, and they let things slide for me, like nitpicking down to the 1/4-hour for every time they put a wrench to it.
I personally am involved in an international business and have had situations where things go awry way further than across the country . . try getting a refund from China! But I can say this much, Larry is not a crook and I am sure he will handle whatever his responsibility is in the matter. I will attest to the fact that NSX Modified is not an organization which intentionally engages in fraudulent activities. They may occasionally be guilty of mild to moderate "flake-ism" , and I would say it ends there.
I am with the world-famous JACK - "Larry - I'll be back!"

The Wolf

Jackmac, Yes! I know THE SWISH so what? I also know other San Diego and LA NSX owner. How THE SWISH and Larry conduct their business had nothing to do with me! So don't you start this shit with me
mad.gif

My only question is: Great mechanics Larry is, why is he Ok if the supercharger is Bad?

Yellowdancer,
I have nothing against you...but if you are brad's friend, then why don't you tell him to come foward and simplfiy this mess. And yes, whenver I see you, I always see Brad....so go figure it out.
JACK

I happened to be around NSX Modified during the time the SC was being finished up. The SC was burned up pretty badly and I saw Larry fixing it for about 1 week. I rotated the SC and had no problems turning it. The SC was done nicely, I just don't see why Larry would intentionally put a washer in the SC. My speculation would be maybe who ever installed the SC might be responsible. Who did the install of your SC?

------------------
1991 Silver GT Stormer
1992 Red JGTC Stormer

Originally posted by nsxpowered:
I happened to be around NSX Modified during the time the SC was being finished up. The SC was burned up pretty badly and I saw Larry fixing it for about 1 week. I rotated the SC and had no problems turning it. The SC was done nicely, I just don't see why Larry would intentionally put a washer in the SC. My speculation would be maybe who ever installed the SC might be responsible. Who did the install of your SC?

I can hardly believe all the blame being put on one of the very few VERY good NSX mechanics in this country! The guy bought a used SC, had it shipped, and didn't even rattle it around or check to be sure it was clean before putting it on? Says it only turned over a few seconds before locking up with a washer in it? Duhh! I think I would have looked it over a little before installing it. Larry is a good and very honest guy, and spends a lot of time fixing our cars, doing a great job of it, and not answering his phone. How much money can you make talking on the telephone? Give him a break! I have nothing but good things to say about Larry, and the quality of his and Butch's work. I guess the easiest thing to do is not go there if you don't like him, or his way of doing things, but don't whine about him! Especially people who don't know him, or haven't been lucky enough to have him work on your car. I'm really surprised to see that all the people who he takes care of aren't sticking up for him, like he does for you! Shame on you.

Originally posted by jackmac:
Hi ppl and (Jsecret),
I think it is about time to put an end to this thread. It has obviously gone too far, and loyal customers like myself and others NSX owners on this forum are becomming disgusted. My question is shouldn't this Brad guy (Swishh) also be reponsible in this mess? Yes, I have personally met Brad and his friend YELLOWDANCER, but the truth is that I do not like them and never will...And Jeff, I thought Larry promised you that if you send back your supercharger he can return you a working one? What is there to doubt? If you need witnesses, I think you have plenty enough after posting this thread (including myself).
And to Topdaytrader, you don't even own a NSX so what horror stories have you heard? You obviously have not met Larry and Butch, so you have no right to judge them.
As for Larry not answering the calls or emails, I (and other of his customers) might be able to chime in....it is simply because some people are taking advantage of Larry. I personally see many times that people (who do not have appointments) show up and ask Larry and Butch to fix their cars right at the spot. And surprisinly, Larry does not charge them a dime. So stupid....isn't he?
I am not here to brag about anything, for that is not the point I am trying to make. I just think that this thread should come to an end. Larry and Butch, if you guys see this post...just want to tell you guys that you will always have my business...nuff said.
JACK

You need to have some common sense. JSecrest order many components from LARRY GARCIA/NSX MODIFIED and never receive them. First Larry pretend he's helpful and nice. But after he received the money from JSecrest, he never return JSecrest's calls? Sound like a fraud to me. I don't need to know Larry or own a NSX to know whats fraud. Because Larry fix stuffs for you for free. That doesn't mean he can't fraud other ppl. You need to be more mature than that.

I have to admit, I was wondering why the person that installed the supercharger didn't do an inspection first. I haven't done a SC on a NSX but have done many JR SCers. I have alway rotated the supercharger to make sure nothing is in there. Water will even lock these things up. I'd say I would try working with Larry some more. If it was my shop I wouldn't have done anything for you. Larry is giving you the benifit of the doubt even though you didn't have a qualified mechanic install it. By qualified I mean has installed a CT SCer before. A washer in a twin-screw SC would lock it up immediately. There would be no couple of turns. A twin-screw compresses the air inside the SC requireing very tight tolerances. I would be happy Larry is willing to work with you.

Hope things work out for the best for you.

[This message has been edited by nsxxtreme (edited 07 December 2002).]

I have no illusion that Larry will try to resolve this after all his previous opportunities and countless lies. Its something you really have to experience to believe. He has not contacted me and his issue with a SC exchange is pure BS.

You will note he didn't even respond to my offer to exchange through an intermediary and he is doing nothing to rectify taking money for goods not delivered which is a far more serious crime, although smaller monetarily than the damage caused by his negligence.

This story stuck a chord with many other people including Len3.8 who I have encouraged to tell his story. He tells me you could change a couple of the sentences in my original post and you would have his story. Only, his story as he told it to me, involves significantly larger money and and a far larger outright fraud. Additionally, Len says he knows of a third similar incident. These things simply do not happen with a reputable business or person of integrity.

You will note that Larry is not even trying to rectify this even though he has been forewarned that I will soon be getting the appropriate authorities involved and posting this story on every other NSX and Acura website. For what its worth, the Beter Business Bureau will also be notified. In short, the guy can't care about his business or his personal reputation.

I'm not taking anyone's part here!
I have one question that doesn't seem quite apparent from the posts so far, which may or not be relevant, but for my own curiosity:
Who paid Larry for the inspection, Jeff Or Swisher? (or was it gratis from Larry?)

p.s. As far as ending the thread here, that's like leaving the movie halfway through!

[This message has been edited by D'Ecosse (edited 07 December 2002).]

Originally posted by nsxpowered:

If you saw this burned up SC between Oct. 20 and Nov 1st when it was shipped and it was mine, this story just took a very, very very ugly turn for the worse and has now turned into conspiracy to defraud. I hired Larry to serve as intermediary and to inspect the SC before I bought it. It was to be an excellent condition 13 month old SC that looked like a 13 month old SC. I bought the unit for top dollar after Larry's OK. If your story is correct ((which I find hard to believe) perhaps Larry did not get repaid for his refurb job which could be why he is so angry with Brad.

Topdaytrader,
I am sure I am mature enough, and that is why I am driving a NSX. Common sense? That word does not come into play here. You are simply making a judgement based on what you read and what sounds more "convincing." Oh, and what horror stories have you heard about NSX modified...lets hear them. This issue is between Larry, Brad, and Jsecret....so you don't have to rub it in.

Jsceret,
If you can answer my questions....who did your supercharger installation? Why did you buy a burned supercharger in the first place?
JACK

For those of you suggesting that the washer should have been found before installation, the unit came to me inspected and fully assembled by Larry-SC unit, snout, manifold, injectors, etc. The whole assembly is not something one would shake listening for a foreing object rattling around inside any more than you woul pick up a rebuilt engine and do the same. The unit did turn until the washer got stuck. The washer would most likely have been in a cavity inside the unit at the front of the SC where it would not be visible except on complete disassembly.

This is like a mystery to all of us because we want to find out the truth. Is it FRAUD or is it NEGLIGENCE? Is it Brad, Larry or the Mechanic that installed the SC?

If Larry was contracted to preassemble the Comptech supercharger, then yes he is a prime suspect. If he had just looked at the condition of the SC and told you his honest opinion, then he would not even be in the picture. What puzzles me is the burnt supercharger that was seen at NSX Modified by nsxpowered. Could it be that Larry kept the newer Comptech SC of Brad's and passed off a burnt one that was sitting around in his shop to Jeff? If so, he had to have put that burnt unit into the solvent tank for extensive cleaning and maybe that is how the washer accidentally got in there without his knowledge?

It is a very bad business practice to not return phone calls right away and at the times that you tell your customers you would. If Larry told you to send back the broken SC so that he will give you a replacement, I am sure he is not going to be purchasing a brand new SC to give to you. That basically tells me he has at least 1 or more superchargers sitting around at his shop at any given time. Because of his actions, I wouldn't trust him either. I don't see any reasons why Larry doesn't just send you the replacement and then have you send the defective one back to him.

There has got to be some kind of identification for the Comptech SC so that Jeff will know the one he got was the one from Brad. That info will tell you whether Larry at NSX Modified is fraudulent or negligent.

2nd suspect is Bradley Scott Swisher. Did he provide any photos of his Comptech supercharger to you before he brought it to Larry at NSX Modified? Pictures say a thousand words so as a sight unseen purchaser, I would have asked for as many photos as possible to make sure the item is exactly what he described it to be.

I guess nobody knows the intentions or relations between Bradley and Larry so one can only guess. If they indeed are working together, then it is definitely a scam and should be reported to the proper authorities.

Lastly there is the mechanic which Jeff trusts and was standing by his side during the installation. How qualified was he in regards to installing a supercharger? I for one wouldn't even know where to begin. Without the proper instructions directly from Comptech, I am pretty sure many mechanics could possibly make a small mistake that could turn out to be a major problem. Are there any other washers that are required to be used in the install? If so, then yes the installing mechanic could be at fault. If there was no washers being used, then there is no way that that person can be held responsible for what happened, provided that everything was installed correctly.

Now that the unit is with Mark Basch, I think Larry should just communicate with Jeff and Mark to see how this problem can be resolved. If he doesn't take this matter seriously, then I think he will lose alot of potential customers and his business will suffer. This has been a nightmare especially for Jeff but also the NSX community. Please let us know the outcome. Good Luck Jeff!

Caveat Emptor!!!

All I have to say is that this whole situation is bad. Next thing you know some is going to start a lawsuit because larry agreed to become the medium for this transaction. Do you think he will do favors for other nsx owners from now on? jeez
I can personally say that Larry has been good to me and I think i am a very picky guy. But now all these people posting slandering comments before the whole situation is even resolved is just sickening to me. J- if this was a house and you found out the foundation was cracked after the fact, you would be SOL.
This reminds me of that guy that got fired from his job.
sad...
How many nsx member own a business, let alone, deal with people that are so uptight? Yes, i understand that he is running a business and maybe he should do things differently but i also know that i have heard a ton of BS about every other nsx vendor as well.
I commend larry for his efforts with the nsx, him opening up a shop, and dealing with "not your average customer".

In the end,good luck with everything, but you also get what you pay for.

penny for your thoughts

This thread is not good. The post that implied that a certain ex-Microsoft executive no longer does business with Larry was questionable. I thought his NSX was just parked in favour of another car.

Im sure the charger came from ERZ in NY they had it for sale on ebay ..I think it sold for $4500-$5000 with other extra stuff full comptech exhaust clutch etc..anyway majority blame on the failure surly relies on the last mechanic that installed and inspected it prior to start up on a live motor..after all thats what your paying your mechanic for??arnt you?? 3 top mechanics fail to find jammed washer in the SC blades??I think its unfair to put 100% blame on Garcia or Swisher for the failure of the charger. Considering the premiuim paid by Secrests I would suggest Garcia refund his inspection or handling fee and Swisher perhaps refund a realistic sum that would satisfy Mr. Secrest, and since there was no mention of what Secrests mechanic charged perhaps his mechanicc can drop a few $ aswell.

While attempting to remaing totally neutral here. I have to say that from this story, it seems like this started out as purely a favor from Larry to the SC purchaser. I have no knowledge of the CTSC nor how it works, but I do know that if I spent that kinda money on something, I'd, for my own satisfaction, do as many inspections on it as I could, before I intsalled it. Or at least have someone local look it over once more. Not in distrust of Larry, but because there can never be too much attention to detail on such an expensive and important part. Just with my small mechanical knowledge, i'd have to say that if a washer was that close to the impeller that it didnt fall in until it started spinning, it must have been lingering somewhere inside loosely, just waiting to be jarred enough to slip into a moving part. As far as the rest of the story, its kind of unclear what exactly you were holding Larry responsible for, but it also seems like there was a major breakdown in communication, which is never good. Hopefully you'll both reach a resolution that is acceptable to both parties.

------------------
1992 NSX

Nsextasy, true this was the burn't up SC on ebay. I have witnessed it in person @ Larry shop.
Not answering phone calls, your not the only one. One the other hand, if you show up in person expect attention and service.
Buying used products, headaches are included.

Jack, I usually participate in the CalCoastal group's activities. It's just a little too far from Santa Monica down to the meetings down in OC. Especially at traffic hour. I did go to the dinner get-together that Steve Riter put on at The Proud Bird. That was a good meet. =)

Couple questions that are important here...

1) Is the SC that Jeff got, the same one that Brad gave Larry?
2) If it was the same one, and somebody saw that it was burnt in the shop, why was it passed off as being in excellent condition?
3) The installation process sounds as though it consisted of merely bolting the kit on since it was already pre-assembled. If this is the case, and bolting on the kit did not require the use of washers, then it must have been inside prior to install. And what about the grit that was found? Does that indicate anything else?
4) What items did Jeff pay Larry for and not receive yet? Was Larry given any compensation for doing the inspection on the SC?
5) If Larry gives great service for people who drop in, and Jeff lives in Florida, why the hell didn't he just drop in?! jk.
wink.gif

Darkcyd,
Thanks for actually reading all the details and posting intelligent well informed questions.
Larry did charge me for the inspection as well as for the assembly of the SC and parts istalled (injectors).
Let me repost my prior comment about the washer:
"we discover that an aluminum washer at least 20 mm had jammed inside the supercharger, damaging every blade on the rotors as well as the housing. (This washer could not possibly have come from my garage where the work is being done but where cars have not been worked on previously. It is also far larger than any washers one encounters in the engine compartment while doing the SC installation. Further, an aluminum washer of this size would be rather unusual, and one might expect, pretty scarce outside of NSX shops. And finally, we didn’t remove the tape covering the openings until the unit was ready to go on the car.) To give Larry credit, he didn’t try to deny responsibility for the washer."
In its damaged condition and presumably flattened state, this washer actually measures one full inch across (I just remeasured). Those of you who work in your engine compartments will know that there is simply nothing anywhere close to this size you encounter while doing work on the top of the engine.
While one cannot absolutely prove 100% that Larry is reponsible for the washer, there can be no excuse for the oily grit, the lies, failure to return phone calss as promised and the FAILURE TO DELIVER PARTS PURCHASED FROM LARRY. Only Larry can be responsible for the rest of this and it points definitively and indisputably to shodiness of workmanship, integrity and honesty. The washer situation must be viewed in the full context of all this.
And if Len tells his story, it will be even uglier.

Originally posted by SexyRed:
Nsextasy, true this was the burn't up SC on ebay. I have witnessed it in person @ Larry shop.
I would like to know more about this burned SC and what people know about it. I vaguely recall Larry saying something about painting on my SC which should have been unecessary.
Did anyone see my supposedly good SC in the shop during this time?
For that matter, has anyone seen the supposedly good SC which Larry claims to have? (He had told me he had one with very damaged blades previously).
Unfortunately, I was not smart enough to get pictures from Brad beforehand.
Being a small community out there, did anyone see this SC on Brad's car for a year before I bought it?

Back