• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

We should able to get these made for our NSXs!!!

235130.jpg

235131.jpg

WOW!! I wonder how much that would cost (including installation!!)

:eek:

Yeah, but the outer body skins of the NSX aren't all that heavy anyway. It's the underlying structure that contributes to the weight.

The Porsche had more to gain because of its steel body.

-Jim

this is amazing! yeah, i would like to know the cost of something like this for the NSX.

i saw the nsx drag car on tv this weekend and the owner said he took each body panel off and used a mold to make each panel carbon fiber. maybe he should start mass producing them lol

The whole ordeal is probably a lot more benificial to a porsche, whose body is made out of freakin stainless steel. NSX's being all aluminum its just not cost efficient...

Just as an example I'd venture a guess that the Porsche probably saves 250-300 lbs by going over to CF. (CF hoods typically save ~40 lbs for most cars)

An NSX or Corvette would probably save 100-150 lbs.

Seeing as the process would cost the same for a porsche or an NSX or a vette, the porsche has the most to gain from this.

Why make the NSX only slightly better at something it already excels at. The engine needs more power guys. Unless you guys are sporting single turbo's and putting 420+ to the ground, there are bigger worries on your mind... JHMO. But hey its yalls NSX's

hlweyl said:
i saw the nsx drag car on tv this weekend and the owner said he took each body panel off and used a mold to make each panel carbon fiber. maybe he should start mass producing them lol

Adam's car used the NSX body for a rough mold, but if you ever saw it in person you would realize that the proportions are way out of whack. And just to let you know, there are full body carbon fibre NSX's running on the tracks in Japan. YES, it does exist Virginia, and yes it is overtly expensive. Don't even pretend to imagine thinking about it. They won't sell it to you anyhow. Guess how I know.

100-150lb savings will not be able to just the estimated high costs.

that weight could be easily shaved by following dali's weight loss program.

just a pair of new seats, lightweight exhaust could easily take off about 80lbs....

during a conversation with an NSXer, we felt that the cheapest way to shave off pounds is at the belly of the driver.....:D

Blue Knight said:
during a conversation with an NSXer, we felt that the cheapest way to shave off pounds is at the belly of the driver.....:D
The cheapest, but not necessarily the easiest. :D

i tried to shave off a few pounds but i don't think it will help very much since i'm 5'9" and weigh about 170lbs.....max i can try to take off is about 15lbs.

I'd love to see an all carbon fiber NSX. Weight savings of even 150lbs is pretty significant. Not only does it help with the power to weight ratio but also handling and braking. Weight reductions are worth their weight in gold - and this one would probably cost it too.

I asked over on f-chat and a sponser there makes custom CF parts, assuming we have enough interest, we can slit the production costs, thereby making it cheaper for spec. parts since makeing the mold is prob the most expensive part.

sponser: Valence

other thread:
f-chat link

Blue Knight said:
this is amazing! yeah, i would like to know the cost of something like this for the NSX.

Having some past experience w/CF & FGlass molds being custom made for racing production. I can tell you that it would be very costly to have these made for our cars and I wouldn't be surprised if its well over 5 figures for a complete kit. While the weight savings are important you can do better increasing hp. Unless you just want something unique, save your money guys!!!

I just ordered the Marga Hills wide body kit in carbon fiber== front bumper, front fenders,rear fenders. I already have the side skirts in fiberglass, the NSX-R wing in CF and I bought the JGTC hood in CF, but returned it due to poor quality. I am doing this mostly for cosmetics b/c in all honesty the factory aluminum pieces have all been lighter so far. The bumper will be here in 3 weeks and I will see if it is lighter than my Burn-up bumper which was already MUCH lighter than the stock bumper. The fenders were about the same weight and the JGTC hood was heavier by about 10lbs?? I havent decided which hood I will go with,but it will definetly be all CF, not CFRP.

Before I get flamed for wasting money, my car is already fast enough(11.9@118) for me and I have done just about everything else. I dont wont a supercharger and I am still waiting for the testing of the turbos to be complete. I have already changed the gears,headers,exhaust,intake,clutch,flywheel,seats,stereo,paint,suspension, brakes, pads, etc and I have dual stage nitrous, sooo theres not much left. So thats why I went CF wide body.

Blue Knight said:

LOL... unless the driver is female; they can spend hundreds of dollars on 'lose weight fast' diets. The CF might be cheaper afterall. ;)

I'd like to know how much (w/ and w/o labor) that Porsche CF body would cost. Any guesstimates?

hey, after all....shaving lbs from the NSX in motion translates to a higher power-to-weight ratio....

Back