• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Weight Reduction

26000 light years from the nearest black hole
What else can I do to try and reduce the weight of my car ('94) without spending thousands of dollars.

I have removed:
spare wheel, bracket
oem battery (replaced with Odyssey 925)
tool kit, jack, air pumpt
trunk mat
floor mats

How much does a CD changer weigh? ( I have one in the trunk)
What is the weight of the "power unit" of the Power seats ?
What is the weight of the Carbon Fiber engine cover?

TIA :)

I think the stock engine cover is 14 lbs. and the average carbon-fiber unit is 4 lbs.

You can remove one glass partition in the firewall for a saving of 4 lbs.

Fouad, I plan on removing the same things. Here's some helpful information from the Dali website that might help....

http://www.daliracing.com/v666-5/info/weight_loss/weight_loss_cost_matrix.cfm

Some of the things I've been thought about...

-Lexan Hatch: saves almost 17 lbs $420
http://www.daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/index_browse_part.cfm?focus=1265

-Lightened Side scoops: saves 4 lbs $250
http://www.daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/index_browse_part.cfm?focus=1096

-Lexan Divider Window: saves almost 9lbs $100
http://www.daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/index_browse_part.cfm?focus=1096

Just a few things you might was to consider....
Regards
Z

EDIT: Looks like a few people beat me! :p Anyone else have any *cheap* weight reduction methods?

Not to mention Aftermarket Headers and Exhaust those Stockers weigh a ton
:D

Steven 91 Blk/Ivory

Steven Spanbauer said:
:D

Steven 91 Blk/Ivory

And they cost a ton.... :(

lightweight flywheel.

Steven Spanbauer said:

This is a great upgrade since you are not only shedding weight, but you will have Hp gains as well. Here are some great headers:

http://www.scienceofspeed.com/produ...oducts/NSX/TAITEC/exhaust_headers/default.asp

And exhaust:

http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/exhaust_airflow_products/NSX/TAITEC/Lightweight_Center-Exit

It is true, however, that you will be spending quite a bit of money for these upgrades :(

But there should be a definite performance improvement you can feel. :D .............I think:confused:

What was the question again:p

Did anyone mention front & rear bumper beams? Early ones are iron, later ones are aluminum to save weight on the T's. Reducing weight at the extreme ends is a bonus. I have an aluminum rear but have never installed it. If someone has an iron rear they can weigh, we can compare.

Unsprung weight is also worth big bonus points, so get lighter wheels such as the Volk TE-37. They are a double bonus for less rotating mass.

Also consider Tien or other aluminum-body coil-overs. Much of the savings is from the smaller diameter springs, the rest from the shock body, and part of that is unsprung.

Racing seats with manual sliders are good too since the stock unit is something like 42 pounds.

Sorry if any of this is redundant.

MAJOR STONER said:
I think the stock engine cover is 14 lbs. and the average carbon-fiber unit is 4 lbs.

You can remove one glass partition in the firewall for a saving of 4 lbs.

I don't understand what you mean, could you explain?
Thanks
Z

Physician, heal thy self. Have you tried Atkins? ;)

But seriously, who was it that mentioned a 300 lb vette owner that was thrilled to save 20 lbs with a $2000 titanium exhaust?

NSX FoYoAss said:
I don't understand what you mean, could you explain?
Thanks
Z

The glass between the passenger compartment and the engine compartment is made up of a sandwich of two panes of glass, with a vacuum between them. I have never heard of removing just one pane, but it makes sense, and it will allow you to hear that sweet six cylinder sound even better!!

ncdogdoc said:
The glass between the passenger compartment and the engine compartment is made up of a sandwich of two panes of glass, with a vacuum between them. I have never heard of removing just one pane, but it makes sense, and it will allow you to hear that sweet six cylinder sound even better!!

really...... huh, you learn something new everyday! So whats the purpose of the vacuum? Sorry for all the questions, but I find this really interesting....
Z

NSX FoYoAss said:
really...... huh, you learn something new everyday! So whats the purpose of the vacuum? Sorry for all the questions, but I find this really interesting....
Z

Two reasons:

1) a vacuum reduces the volume of engine noise traveling from one glass to the next

2) a vacuum weighs less than air:)

sjs said:
Did anyone mention front & rear bumper beams? Early ones are iron, later ones are aluminum to save weight on the T's. Reducing weight at the extreme ends is a bonus. I have an aluminum rear but have never installed it. If someone has an iron rear they can weigh, we can compare.

What is the weight of your aluminum bumper beam? I have always been contemplating switching out my bumpers.

The rear aluminum bumper is about 19lbs. If the bumper was made out of steel and was exactly the same size and wall thickness (which it probably is not) it would weigh about 54lbs.

PorknBeanz said:
The rear aluminum bumper is about 19lbs. If the bumper was made out of steel and was exactly the same size and wall thickness (which it probably is not) it would weigh about 54lbs.

Whoa, thats alot of weight savings! What year bumper beans are aluminum? This is some good info!
Z

The weight reduction probably isn't huge. I'm sure that the Honda engineers minimized the wall sections in the steel bumper vs. the aluminum part. Steel is roughly 3X stronger than aluminum. I looked up the cost of the aluminum bumper and it is about $750 list!

In any case here is a photo of one. The weldment in the center is where the license plate screws thread into. I'm not sure what it looks like on pre '95s, but the aluminum weldment protrudes through an opening in the rear plastic bumper cover.

Attachments

• rear bumper.jpg
    rear bumper.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 1,404
Back