• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What heats up first, oil or water temps?

I recently installed aftermarket gauges to monitor both water and oil temps in my 1992 NSX. After starting cold, I've noticed that my oil temp gauge goes up first and corresponds with the OEM temp gauge (which I believe is water temp). I've also noticed my aftermarket water temp gauge takes much longer to go up, maybe 10-15 minutes. Did I plug the sensors into the wrong gauges? It seems like water should be heating up first and it's an easy fix, but I wanted to confirm with others first.

the oil is closer to where the heat is created

I'm not a mechanic, but I would think the oil temperature should warm up first. The heat comes from friction and from the burning of fuel in the cylinders - all of which happens in the engine. The purpose of the cooling system is to flow coolant through the engine and draw that heat away from the engine into the radiator, where the air flow can cool it down. So heat is generated in the engine, and "expelled" via the radiator. So the oil temperature would warm up first.

I have an aftermarket oil temperature gauge in my CRX.
It is my experience that the coolant takes around 5 minutes to warm up. That's the standard temp gauge in most cars.
The oil temp gauge doesn't even move all that much the first 5 minutes. But after 10 minutes the oil also reaches it's normal operating temperature.
On a freezing cold day it can even take up to 20 minutes.

I realise that the CRX is a very different car, but still my guess would be that you have indeed switched the sensors/wires.
Especially since your oil gauge corresponds with your OEM temp gauge.

Last edited:
I was always taught oil takes longer than water and even when your water temp is up to normal, the oil is not yet ready for high-load, high rpm driving.

That said, the NSX cooling system takes longer to heat up than front-engine cars because of the long path and high volume of the coolant. With my NSX, I know exactly the point on the way to work where the temp needle starts to move and I can tell how cold the engine is by when that needle moves. On freezing cold days, it is a couple traffic lights further down the road. On super hot summer days, it is even before I get out of my neighborhood.

definitely oil longer than water. I had oil temp gauges in most of my cars. Sounds like you really plugged in the sensors the wrong way.

The water will reach its operating temp in about 5 minutes as already mentioned.
Oil normally takes at least 15 minutes.

Bernhard

OK, you have water surrounding "FIRING" cylinders, thermostat is closed, no flow of coolant to radiator until fully warm. Oil has a few bearings, slipping around and oil viscosity changes with temp(no thermostat). Bottom line is coolant will heat quicker....it is designed to;).

HTH,
LarryB

drats......I'll have to stick to driving:redface:

I believe the job of the thermostat is to get the oil and combustion chamber up to the optimal operating temperature as fast as possible [ for fuel efficiency and lubrication protection] , then to maintain that temp by opening, to allow the the rest of the system [coolant & radiator & fans] to keep temps in that optimal range.

Back