• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What is APPLE planning?

Fragmentation is not the reason for poor sales. I think the biggest reason is rampant piracy. It makes for a strong case to release your app free with ads as the monetization model under Android.

iPhone 4 shipped in June 2010 so we're all at least 7 or 8 months left on contract.

You can get the upgrade by signing a new contract at the ATT store; you might have to wait till the rush is over before they will honor that.

You can get the upgrade by signing a new contract at the ATT store; you might have to wait till the rush is over before they will honor that.
Fat chance of that. I've bought 2 iPhones - 1 at an Apple store and 1 at an AT&T store. You couldn't drag me back in the AT&T store again. I would go to WalMart first, and I hate WalMart.

As I said earlier, everyone I know who's checked has found their eligibility moved up so the can upgrade now if they want. I haven't checked mine (not interested yet) though.

Looks like it is for 4S only. Smart move as people will probably want to upgrade to be able to use it.

Already rumors that Siri will be available on jailbroken phones. I've never used Siri and really have no interest in voice recognition. Doesn't seem like a compelling reason to drop a couple hundred $$. I'm really disappointed this launch wasn't a much bigger step forward in terms of hardware. I'm still waiting for that piece of hardware that makes me say OMG!! this 3GS is now crap, I HAVE to have this new thing! I really thought this would be the iPhone 5 launch... though I don't know if that will have the OMG!! factor either :).

So in other words, stuff that has been on Android phones for years now. Gotcha :wink:

There has been nothing like Siri on Android. Vlingo and Google Voice don't compare.

With regard to the camera... If you go by the spec sheet you're correct. Android has had 8MP cameras for some time. But if you know anything about cameras you know that image quality is much more than pixel count alone. The iPhone 4 camera has been reviewed very well. Image quality, color balance, lens quality is competitive with some 8MP phones.

The 4S camera will raise the bar and I'm sure it will be one of the very best camera phones, if not the best. And the supporting software, like the ability to tap to lock focus and exposure will go further than the competition.

The proof is in the details and customer satisfaction and not the simple number on the spec sheet.

Already rumors that Siri will be available on jailbroken phones. I've never used Siri and really have no interest in voice recognition. Doesn't seem like a compelling reason to drop a couple hundred $$. I'm really disappointed this launch wasn't a much bigger step forward in terms of hardware. I'm still waiting for that piece of hardware that makes me say OMG!! this 3GS is now crap, I HAVE to have this new thing! I really thought this would be the iPhone 5 launch... though I don't know if that will have the OMG!! factor either :).

The thing with Siri is that it's not just another app. It changes the way you actually use the phone on a daily basis. It's tightly integrated and seamless. Keep in mind this is not a system where you speak commands like in a new Honda - "Set Temperature to 71 degrees". It understands context and abstract concepts. Much different than anything out there.

Regarding hardware - I don't know what else Apple could have done with two exceptions. One, is obvious and that's a larger screen. Of course, some like the smaller form factor. But I probably would have liked a 4 inch diag screen size. Next is 4G. And that's just not ready for prime time. Plus the chipsets are HUGE and power consumption is an issue - at least for Apple. Everything else from a hardware perspective that they announced is state of the art. CPU, GPU, Battery life, send/receive antenna, camera.

So what exactly would make you go "OMG!"? Did you want console level graphics in there? When you look at the Infinity Blade 2 video.. it's apparent that it's starting to get close to there already!

From my vantage point, they've just raised the bar on the HW front. As with anything, it's all about engineering tradeoff. The more performance and functionality you put in, the more you take a hit on battery life and cost. It's EASY to make something really powerful. It's HARD to do the same while keeping the form factor small, the power draw minimal, and the cost down.

I'm not sure what they could have done, they're Apple, they think of things that I don't. If it's something I could have come up with, then I'm sure someone would have done it by now :). I'm just now trading in my Q6600 rig for an i7 because after 4 years, it's finally getting long in the tooth and couldn't keep up with all the VMs I'm running (Windows 8 Dev preview, my old virtualized desktop from my previous PC, Microsoft Lynx, CentOS based Asterisk, etc). So I guess I either upgrade when I see something that knocks my socks off that the older hardware simply can never do, or when the device no longer is capable of meeting my needs. I *want* to upgrade, so I'm always looking for a compelling reason, but then I have to compare it to the cost and decide if I can justify it financially. The answer was no for the 4 and no for the 4S. I'm hoping for SOMETHING that makes the answer YES! Maybe it would be much longer battery life. I have to keep my phone on a car charger while driving and when at a customer site and home, I keep it plugged into my laptop. I've run down the battery from 100% in 90 minutes while going for a walk while simultaneously listening to Pandora thru bluetooth headphones, using the GPS for Runkeeper and playing Slingo :). On a typical day, if I didn't charge it, I would probably run it down in 4 or 5 hours. I took it off the charger about 3 hours ago and it's already down to 75% and I haven't really done much at all other than emails, a bit of browsing and updating angry birds.

IMO, if they had put this EXACT same phone out with a 4" screen people woudl have been thrilled.

Well the new Samsung Galaxy Nexus phone is coming out next tuesday. First phone with 720p screen (higher res than iPhone4), and close to same DPI as the retina display in 4.5".

Well the new Samsung Galaxy Nexus phone is coming out next tuesday. First phone with 720p screen (higher res than iPhone4), and close to same DPI as the retina display in 4.5".

I thought it was a 4.65" display. Thats just TOO Big.

Exactly.

And if it had 4G, it would have been unstoppable.

Not if 4G LTE murdered the battery. I think they made the the right call there.

However, you can BET AT&T will be advertising that their iPhone4S is 4G and Verizon is not.

The next BlackBerry on QNX will be LTE so it will be interesting to see that that does to the Battery.

Exactly.

And if it had 4G, it would have been unstoppable.

The problem is that Qualcomm's 4G chipset requires Qualcomm's CPU plus two additional chips to do voice and data. It doesn't physically fit in a phone the size of the iPhone, destroys the good battery life that is essential to a good user experience (high priority for Apple), plus Apple's committed to their own CPU design. Qualcomm's smaller chipset will not come out until Q3 2012. In short, the parts just aren't there yet.

All the talk about LTE draining the battery is true. But with the amount of data transmissions that Apple users use (notoriously more than any other type of phone), I would say not having the option for LTE is a huge miss. For the most part, if you were really upset about battery life, you can always turn off the LTE antenna.

IMHO speed > battery, especially with having the option to conserve. The key here is having options. If you look at what people in the Apple blogs and forums are complaining about, its screen size and LTE. Those are the two things you do/use most on a phone.

All the talk about LTE draining the battery is true. But with the amount of data transmissions that Apple users use (notoriously more than any other type of phone), I would say not having the option for LTE is a huge miss. For the most part, if you were really upset about battery life, you can always turn off the LTE antenna.

IMHO speed > battery, especially with having the option to conserve. The key here is having options. If you look at what people in the Apple blogs and forums are complaining about, its screen size and LTE. Those are the two things you do/use most on a phone.

Keep in mind though on the other phones with LTE you can swap the battery. So even if your battery lasts till noon, you can put in another to last until you get home.

I think that's the thing that Apple does that confuses tech savvy users. They make their product so that joe blow or my mom can buy it and no matter what, even with wifi, bluetooth, everything on, it *will* get decent battery life. I don't have to tell my mom, "oh, you should turn that off when you're not using it, it drains your battery." Hell no. Offering an option to have a bad experience is just not an option for them. They always choose the good experience at the cost of being cutting edge because people overall will be happier, even though techies wish they had that cutting edge feature.

People will say, "Yeah, my phone's been working pretty well. Battery lasts pretty pretty long too" instead of saying "Man, make sure you turn that 4G off, or else you'll run out in less than a day!" It colors the experience for normal people since they don't forgive those flaws as easily--they don't recognize it as a forgivable flaw/tradeoff like some of us would.

Then, a little later, when 4G chipsets get better, they will come out with a phone where you can leave 4G on all the time and it will still get great battery life.

It's how they did iPhone 1 where they had slow 2G EDGE while everyone made fun of them for not having 3G. iPhone 1 had great battery life and lasted 3-4 days on a charge. Then when chipsets got better, they incorporated 3G on the next phone and battery life still took a big hit, which shows how bad it would have been a year earlier with immature chips. Then they got things pretty decent by the time the 3GS came out.

It's the same pattern here. It worked for them before, you can't blame them for following their successful formula again.

Last edited:
But you see, having the customer remember to turn on/off the LTE in order to get anywhere near decent battery performance is not Apple's way. If you can't do it right, then wait until you can. Again, look at the customer satisfaction stats. If having the latest 4G speed with compromised battery performance was a winner then those phones would be leading the pack in customer approval. Apple is the leader.

That's one thing that separates Apple from the pack. Yes, if you always have to have the latest and greatest then you might be disappointed. But since 4G is still ramping up, I believe Apple is making the right call for them and their customers. Apple wants to deliver a 4G phone that's not a battery hog and won't cause them to increase the size of the phone. So, they're going to wait a bit - probably until next year until the market and chipsets mature. They did the same with 3G and it paid off for them. They take a more measured approach on many things like this.

There will always be other manufacturers who will jump in and immediately implement the latest stuff. And they'll do this just to separate themselves from the crowded Android pack. They need something to distinguish themselves.

It's been said that Apple prides themselves just as much on what they don't do as what they do.

(heh, Glen - looks like we're thinking along the same lines).

Last edited:
^^ Thats all fine and dandy as long as Apple doesn't claim themselves to be first and make it sound so ground breaking when they finally do offer a feature that everyone else has been running for over a year. The sad thing is most of the isheeps will buy right into it too.

How about this.... You can sell your 3GS on the bay for good coin. The 3GS camera sucks!!!!!!! Reason enough to upgrade.

I had never even heard of vlingo until siri so i decided to check it out. Wow, pretty cool. its now from on iPhone. Its freaking 20 bux on blackberry, but it has even mote fuctionality. it can read email and texts like siri. You can also voice dictate in any app. Pretty cool stuff.

Its clearly not as robust as siri, but its not bad and free for iPhone users.

I had never even heard of vlingo until siri so i decided to check it out. Wow, pretty cool. its now from on iPhone. Its freaking 20 bux on blackberry, but it has even mote fuctionality. it can read email and texts like siri. You can also voice dictate in any app. Pretty cool stuff.

Its clearly not as robust as siri, but its not bad and free for iPhone users.

Judging from the text message you sent me with Vlingo, I'd say it needs a grammar lesson or a spell checker.

Back