• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What is APPLE planning?

5 inch diagonal?! - Perhaps you should pick up one of those 7 inch Android tabs. :biggrin:

Yeah, that's running into kinda big territory for a phone, but one thing I would like to see from an iPhone is a wider screen. Keep the exact same form factor as the current iPhone 4/4S, but extend the screen into the area where the home button and speaker is to a 16:9 ratio, while keeping the same "retina" level pixel density.

Siri is REALLY cool, no other phone has anything like this that I am aware of other than "call Mike Jones cell" or "play smashing pumpkins" which the current iPhone does now. This is an intelligent improvement that searches conceptually and knows what you are saying even if you ask 3 different ways. Very cool stuff and only the 4S will have SIRI.

Was worried that they would have a 4S without dual core, processing/wireless upgrades, camera and such. Plus I had heard that the 5 was going to have some speech recognition that interacted with all programs, but SIRI surpassed my expectations there. All of that could have been slated for the true 5 so not a bad upgrade IMO.

Most importantly, it was reported in WSJ I think that Sprint had struck a multi-billion dollar deal to make the 5 a Sprint exclusive which would really suck. If I wait 6+ months for the 5 and it is only Sprint, I will not be a happy camper. While I'm annoyed that it isn't the new design and wider screen, I am happy with the internal upgrades.

Siri is very cool, but couldn't they get a better sounding voice?

I know, it sounds similar to the one from this famous clip:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/FL7yD-0pqZg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

is siri related to the phone or iOS 5 which will be available on the 4 and 3GS? I still have my 3GS. My wife has the 4. I have no compelling reason at all to move to the 4 or 4S, they're going to need to do a lot better than this. I really hear Android calling to me possibly in the form of a Galaxy S II.

is siri related to the phone or iOS 5 which will be available on the 4 and 3GS? I still have my 3GS. My wife has the 4. I have no compelling reason at all to move to the 4 or 4S, they're going to need to do a lot better than this. I really hear Android calling to me possibly in the form of a Galaxy S II.

Looks like it is for 4S only. Smart move as people will probably want to upgrade to be able to use it.

Well, can't you say the 3GS hardware is "really crap" compared to the 4S? So I am not sure how you don't have this issue on iOS.

It depends on what you're trying to do. If you are CPU-bound, then yes, the 3GS is way way behind the 4S which is dual core and much higher clocked. Most apps and games are not CPU bound though. Most of the user experience goodness comes from the ability of the GPU to keep up (hence why a crappy low powered, low clocked ARM CPU paired with a decent GPU still gives a great experience while browsing the web or email or whatever on an iPad).

On the GPU front, the 4S has substantially higher pixel throughput *BUT* the 4S also has 4x the number of pixels it needs to render compared to the 3GS. So in the end, from a pure framerate perspective, it ends up where the 4S is faster, but not a lot so when fillrate bound. Of course from a functionality and triangle throughput perspective, the GPU on the 4S is significantly better which lets you perform all kinds of cool effects that aren't possible on the 3GS.

Since Apple has a closed ecosystem where they control the hardware, they can ensure that there aren't dozens of different configurations each with their own balance of CPU+GPU performance and capabilities. This makes it significantly easier for the majority of iOS developers. You create a single universal binary, the GPU + CPU are generally fast enough to do whatever you need, and all you need to do is provide two sets of artwork.. for the two different resolutions. If you're Epic and pushing the envelope, then yes it's a pain in the ass because you have to tune your engine specifically for each hardware configuration -- but luckily there aren't that many.

On the android front if an app is lightweight, it too won't have a problem. The issue is that middle of the road android games can run like crap on some hardware because the manufacturer was trying to get the cheapest possible product out and there's pretty much no minimum bar that Google has set. There's also all kinds of screen ratios and resolutions and dot pitches which makes it a nightmare for the developer.

It depends on what you're trying to do. If you are CPU-bound, then yes, the 3GS is way way behind the 4S which is dual core and much higher clocked. Most apps and games are not CPU bound though. Most of the user experience goodness comes from the ability of the GPU to keep up (hence why a crappy low powered, low clocked ARM CPU paired with a decent GPU still gives a great experience while browsing the web or email or whatever on an iPad).

On the GPU front, the 4S has substantially higher pixel throughput *BUT* the 4S also has 4x the number of pixels it needs to render compared to the 3GS. So in the end, from a pure framerate perspective, it ends up where the 4S is faster, but not a lot so when fillrate bound. Of course from a functionality and triangle throughput perspective, the GPU on the 4S is significantly better which lets you perform all kinds of cool effects that aren't possible on the 3GS.

Since Apple has a closed ecosystem where they control the hardware, they can ensure that there aren't dozens of different configurations each with their own balance of CPU+GPU performance and capabilities. This makes it significantly easier for the majority of iOS developers. You create a single universal binary, the GPU + CPU are generally fast enough to do whatever you need, and all you need to do is provide two sets of artwork.. for the two different resolutions. If you're Epic and pushing the envelope, then yes it's a pain in the ass because you have to tune your engine specifically for each hardware configuration -- but luckily there aren't that many.

On the android front if an app is lightweight, it too won't have a problem. The issue is that middle of the road android games can run like crap on some hardware because the manufacturer was trying to get the cheapest possible product out and there's pretty much no minimum bar that Google has set. There's also all kinds of screen ratios and resolutions and dot pitches which makes it a nightmare for the developer.

Good stuff. Thanks.

How powerful of a chip do you think Apple will need to run a "retina dislpay" iPad3?

The apropos comparison here is Windows computers. Windows is far more "fragmented" than Android, and yet still manages to succeed. "Fragmentation" is nothing more than Apple FUD.

I know, it sounds similar to the one from this famous clip:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/FL7yD-0pqZg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This video is funny and true for most people that buy them! They couldn't have a clue what they do better or worse than any other phone and just buy the brand. I don't fall in that category IMO. :)

However, for those EVO lovers out there (and I personally think they have a lot of cool stuff on them) I have tried to use one and think it is a bit clunky and harder to use. Also, we personally did several speed tests on an iPhone 4 and an EVO loading the same websites at the same time and the iPhone actually loaded the pages faster even though it was 3G. Maybe it was a fluke but we all had a laugh over it.

Bottom line, in my personal experience, Apple stuff just seems to work, computer, phone, or tablet. You can have 100 phones with the same features but it doesn't mean they work the same or operate the same. For example, both a Porsche 911 and a Ford Tempo have anti-lock brakes, but that doesn't mean they brake the same. :) ha, ha.

Everybody tries to copy their stuff and technology so it can't be that far behind the curve as the cartoon says. :) I've had my phone for 2 years and it has been flawless, even the battery life. I've never had any other phone that has worked worth a crap after the first year or so. They deteriorate quickly so it is good that carriers come out with new phones every year.

The apropos comparison here is Windows computers. Windows is far more "fragmented" than Android, and yet still manages to succeed. "Fragmentation" is nothing more than Apple FUD.

FUD? Obviously you're not a game developer. Windows is ABSOLUTELY more fragmented than Android and is also the reason it's a complete F'ing nightmare developing decent games on it without setting some minimum requirements.

Under Windows it's easy to put on your box: Needs a Geforce blah blah, and a x Ghz dual core CPU or whatever. What do you put on your Android app to setup a minimum hardware requirement?

This is why game developers like writing stuff for consoles -- the hardware stays the same for everyone for several years straight.

Last edited:
Good stuff. Thanks.

How powerful of a chip do you think Apple will need to run a "retina dislpay" iPad3?

If they quadruple the number of pixels, they should try to quadruple the number of render back ends otherwise they will run into the same situation as they had with the iPhone4. Casual games and apps run fine, but the minute you try pushing the hardware, it falls behind the previous generation's capabilities.

FUD? Obviously you're not a game developer. Windows is ABSOLUTELY more fragmented than Android and is also the reason it's a complete F'ing nightmare developing decent games on it without setting some minimum requirements.

That's exactly my point. Yet games get written for Windows nonetheless. Why would Android be any different? Nothing wrong with requiring minimum specs for an Android game.

Also, games tend to be the bleeding edge for app development. I doubt the standard fartbox app developer has to worry about fragmentation that much.

I suppose this could have been predicted:

Samsung to file injunction against Apple for iPhone 4S

Samsung Electronics announced plans Wednesday to file preliminary injunction motions in Paris and Milan, Italy, to block the sale of Apple's iPhone 4S there.

"Apple has continued to flagrantly violate our intellectual property rights and free ride on our technology, and we will steadfastly protect our intellectual property," Samsung said in a statement.

That's exactly my point. Yet games get written for Windows nonetheless. Why would Android be any different? Nothing wrong with requiring minimum specs for an Android game.

Because it's easy to list the requirements on the box for Windows games. For android, how exactly are you going to do that? List every phone it's compatible with? List every ARM CPU + GPU Core that it's compatible with? Most people have some idea of what kind of CPU and graphics card they have in their PC if they're buying a game (or they have an easy way to find out). Most phone users don't have a CLUE what hardware is inside their phones, and there is no easy way to find out.

Also, games tend to be the bleeding edge for app development. I doubt the standard fartbox app developer has to worry about fragmentation that much.

Agree 100%. The problem is not just hardware performance + functionality fragmentation though. It's also different screen resolutions and aspect ratios. It's also fragmentation with different app marketplaces. There are many different levels of fragmentation that you don't need to worry about with iOS.

Ask any developer who has their app on both iOS and Android about their sales. Sales are typically 10:1 (or even more) in favor of iOS. Why is that? From a ROI perspective, it's a pretty easy decision which platform devs want to spend their time on. I'm really hoping this changes soon because I'd love to open up my games to another XX million users.

"The real reason there's no iPhone 5: The carriers"

In retrospect, it shouldn't be a surprise that Apple released a half-step iPhone this week, instead of a revolutionary and redesigned iPhone 5. Think about it--the real reason for the iPhone 4S is the same as for the iPhone 3GS: carrier contracts are two years long.

The 4S isn't meant to be an upgrade for iPhone 4 users--it's a lure to get new iPhone users in the door, and you iPhone 4 folks will get your iPhone 5 upgrade just in time for a new contract. And if you decide you can't wait and spend big bucks to break your contract or buy the iPhone 4S at full price...well, that was your choice, wasn't it?

Look back at Apple's iPhone release history and you'll see that the iPhone 4S is just the next step in the product evolution, which went from 3G to 3GS to 4, and now to 4S. It actually makes perfect sense, once the lust for new technology and new Apple hardware starts to subside. If anything, Apple is playing a very clever shell game with carrier contracts that allows it to grab new buyers every year instead of every two years.

Think about the staggering for a second here and you'll see it's a pretty smart strategy on Apple's part. iPhone 3G owners on contract could skip the 3GS and get a meaty upgrade in the iPhone 4, while iPhone 3GS owners can feel great about jumping all the way up to the Siri-enabled iPhone 4S. Meanwhile, iPhone 4 owners get most of the features of iOS 5, minus Siri, and can pay a nice fat premium if they really, really want it. Either way, Apple sells iPhones year after year after year.

Sure, the iConsumer is being played, but the rage is less than what it would be if the forced upgrade march--an inevitability with Apple and all other consumer tech--was moving at a faster clip than the carrier contracts.

Source:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-31322_3-20115654-256/the-real-reason-theres-no-iphone-5-the-carriers/

I'm guessing the iPhone 5 will debut next year with the new iPad 3.

Last edited:
Sorry, don't beleive this at all. You really think Apple is going to do a damn thing a carrier wants? They do what they want.

DING DING DING!!

I wouldnt be shocked, if it ends up true, that Sprint commits suicide to commit to that 20 billion dollar exclusive rumor either. It honestly, would just make sense to a degree.

You guys do realize that the next iPhone (2012) won't be called the iPhone 5...right? It will be iPhone 6, or something else, but not "5", lol. The 4S is the 5th iPhone.

Uhh... I don't think so. The next major change will be iPhone 5 and then 5s after that. I suspect Apple will try to get at least two years from one major design change.

You guys are so funny..

Here are the names and order they were released
1) iPhone - June 2007
2) iPhone 3G (the 2nd iPhone, but the 3G meant 3G capable) - July 2008 (~1 yr later)
3) iPhone 3GS (the 3rd iPhone, just like the 2nd phone, just Speedier) - June 2009 (~ 1yr later)
4) iPhone 4 (the 4th iPhone, this time no "G" because it's not 4G compatable) - June 2010 (~ 1 yr later)
5) iPhone 4S (the 5th iPhone, which is the iPhone4 just Speedier) - Oct 2011 (~1.3 yr later)
6) iPhone ??? - mid to late 2012??

I guess wouldn't call the 6th iPhone the "iPhone 5" either, that just doesn't make sense...

Ask any developer who has their app on both iOS and Android about their sales. Sales are typically 10:1 (or even more) in favor of iOS. Why is that? From a ROI perspective, it's a pretty easy decision which platform devs want to spend their time on. I'm really hoping this changes soon because I'd love to open up my games to another XX million users.

On this I agree with you. I'm not sure why Android app sales are so bad; fragmentation might be the issue, but I suspect it's moreso because Android users are cheap bastards (at least, yours truly Android user is :biggrin:). I've had my phone for well over a year now, and have not yet paid for an app. I either find what I need for free, or skip it.

I also don't play games on the phone (well, except for an occasional Solitaire), and so wouldn't be a very good Android game customer. I suspect that there are many others like me as well.

On this I agree with you. I'm not sure why Android app sales are so bad; fragmentation might be the issue, but I suspect it's moreso because Android users are cheap bastards (at least, yours truly Android user is :biggrin:). I've had my phone for well over a year now, and have not yet paid for an app. I either find what I need for free, or skip it.

I also don't play games on the phone (well, except for an occasional Solitaire), and so wouldn't be a very good Android game customer. I suspect that there are many others like me as well.

My wife has had her phone over a year now and has never bought a single app. I bought angry birds and that carmack game.. but thats it. Not sure what everyone is buying.

Back