• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What is APPLE planning?

On the current phone the distance between the edge of the phone to the button is about equal to the distance between the edge of the button to the little square in the middle of the button. In the above pic the distance appears to be less than that, even taking into account the angle of the pic.

I'm assuming that's just a mock up (I don't have access to gawker sites from work so I can't check the source of the photo), and there's no reason to panic until Apple makes an official product announcement.

The new MacBooks Pro are supposedly capable of running 3 thunderbolt displays! :eek:
Like this? Oh and make that 4 displays.

macbook_pro_retina_4_monitor.jpg

http://blog.macsales.com/14241-macbook-pro-15-with-retina-display-can-run-3-external-displays

The only thing I saw in that article was "Apple has not yet announced any details about the iPhone 5." :D

As secretive as Apple is, I can't believe that a vendor has the balls to say anything about its products. If Steve Jobs was still at Apple, Foxconn's CEO would be out the door already.
Agreed on both points. The guy slipped up once before and said Foxcon was making a TV for one of their customers, then retracted it the next day. If Jobs was still around, his head would be outside the Apple Corporate headquarters.

I have a Thunderbolt display and use it with my 13in Macbook Air. It's a very potent combination because the Air is extremely portable, but powerful enough to be run as a 'desktop'.

I am huge into photo editing and the 13in Air can even handle Final Cut Pro X video editing. Pretty awesome stuff.

Awesome. I am about to trade my early 13" mbp for a mid 2011 air because of portability. I do photo (aperture) and video as well on my mbp but video isn't to the extreme as it is on desktop. I would use it more for video if I connected to the monitor more. I have to connect my 13" mbp to my 24" dell monitor a lot anyway because of the low resolution on the 13". I will be doing the same with the 11", if not more so it will encourage me to do more video on it too with an external hd.

I am highly considering investing in the thunderbolt display though. I love the size and the resolution... it's just the actual $$$$$ that makes me hesitant haha.

I could pick up one of those cheaper catleap 27" with the same resolution. They are obviously not as good and build quality isn' the same but I may have to. The thunderbolt display is so much nicer though.

Last edited:
The only thing I saw in that article was "Apple has not yet announced any details about the iPhone 5." :D

Admittedly Terry Gou is biased in favor of the Apple device, but OTOH, such a fellow does not toss around the term "shame" loosely. The iPhone 5 (or whatever it's eventually called) is supposedly the last Apple product in which Steve Jobs was personally involved.

Awesome. I am about to trade my early 13" mbp for a mid 2011 air because of portability. I do photo (aperture) and video as well on my mbp but video isn't to the extreme as it is on desktop. I would use it more for video if I connected to the monitor more. I have to connect my 13" mbp to my 24" dell monitor a lot anyway because of the low resolution on the 13". I will be doing the same with the 11", if not more so it will encourage me to do more video on it too with an external hd.

I am highly considering investing in the thunderbolt display though. I love the size and the resolution... it's just the actual $$$$$ that makes me hesitant haha.

I could pick up one of those cheaper catleap 27" with the same resolution. They are obviously not as good and build quality isn' the same but I may have to. The thunderbolt display is so much nicer though.

Keep in mind that the Thunderbolt display is much like a dock. You can plug in your hard drives directly into the display and just have one cable coming out of the monitor, into your computer. Not to mention other peripherals. It also has built in speakers that are very clear and powerful. It's very simple and nice to just be able to plug/unplug 1 cable.

It definitely IS expensive, but it is also an incredible display, and I think it's worth it for all of the other features it has.

Keep in mind that the Thunderbolt display is much like a dock. You can plug in your hard drives directly into the display and just have one cable coming out of the monitor, into your computer. Not to mention other peripherals. It also has built in speakers that are very clear and powerful. It's very simple and nice to just be able to plug/unplug 1 cable.

It definitely IS expensive, but it is also an incredible display, and I think it's worth it for all of the other features it has.

I forgot about the dock. Yes that is definitely convenient when I have to connect and disconnect all the time. Especially if I'm using an external HD as well.

Technically, it's two conjoined cables. Also, for older Airs, the power and thunderbolt are on opposite sides, so it might not work as well for those.

Yes, you are right, I should have been more clear about that. It's 1 Thunderbolt cable, and a power cable.

No kidding. Maybe he meant an ultrabook??

When the MBA came out there were no "ultrabooks". Ultrabooks came into being as a response against the MBA.

Early on, the MBA was the alternative to the "netbook" - a small and light laptop.

-J

When the MBA came out there were no "ultrabooks". Ultrabooks came into being as a response against the MBA.

Early on, the MBA was the alternative to the "netbook" - a small and light laptop.

-J

Call it what you want. A NetBook was a $250 tiny pc with slow processor. It was nothing like a MacBook air costing 5x the price.

A MacBook air would be considered an ultra book now.

Run the Retina display at it's full resolution.

http://9to5mac.com/2012/06/21/how-t...ok-pro-at-full-2880-x-1800-native-resolution/

Here's a way to have that native 2880x1800 resolution on the new MacBook Pro with Retina Display.

Software developer Wineskin has put together a simple utility to run the new MacBook Pro at its full native resolution. Simply click here to download, then run the script. To revert back to Retina mode or another resolution, just go to Display settings in System Preferences. We must warn that text and images look incredibly small in the native 2880 x 1800 resolution, but it can be helpful when working with multiple files. The tweak also truly shows how many pixels this new Retina display MacBook Pro really packs into a small amount of space.

screen-shot-2012-06-21-at-4-42-48-pm.png

Horrible example but NetViper is never wrong. Find me a 94 with an 02+ conversion. kthnx.

At the end of the day, there are only so many ways to make a laptop.

You build lighter, faster and thinner. Apple was first. Others caught up. It doesn't mean they copy apple. Apple has copied a ton of features of android to put them into iOS, but that doesn't seem to matter to you. These days everybody copies everybody.

Anyway, I will keep my eyes open for a 94 with an 02 conversion, but that is going to be a very very very limited supply.

At the end of the day, there are only so many ways to make a laptop.

You build lighter, faster and thinner. Apple was first. Others caught up. It doesn't mean they copy apple. Apple has copied a ton of features of android to put them into iOS, but that doesn't seem to matter to you. These days everybody copies everybody.
There are thousands of ways to build a laptop and Apple hit upon one perspective that everyone has copied. Why you don't want to acknowledge that is very confusing.

I've never said Apple hasn't incorporated features from Android into iOS (notification system), they have, it happens; but when we're discussing who did it first/set the trend, its generally Apple leading the way, not the other guys. There would be no Android without Apple's iOS and the huge success of the iPhone.

There are thousands of ways to build a laptop and Apple hit upon one perspective that everyone has copied. Why you don't want to acknowledge that is very confusing.

I am not sure what you mean. What is the "one perspective" apple hit?

So they made a thin and light one and everyone else should have made them thicker and heavier?

I will give apple 100% credit for the retina display. That is theirs alone. Nobody has done it, and everyone will copy it.

I've never said Apple hasn't incorporated features from Android into iOS (notification system), they have, it happens; but when we're discussing who did it first/set the trend, its generally Apple leading the way, not the other guys. There would be no Android without Apple's iOS and the huge success of the iPhone.

Actually, there would be Android without the iPhone, but it looked like this:

android22.jpg

Back