• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What is the difference between 2002,03,04,05

Can anyone post a picture of the blue gauge, I'm interested to see how different it looks, TIA.

Here ya go!

MyNSXinterior.jpg

Perry is showing a pufter little shifter here. Missed the "blue guages", on purpose. :tongue:

slurpee Buy it NOW!

Ummm apologize, it is no longer there. Blk 04 w/tan 6 spd now listed.
Sales: Ray Charles

I cant do a tan interior, I'm too messy. And I cant do blue, the wife hates blue....so the longer I search, the more picky I get...red on blk, silver on blk or blk on blk, with blk on blk bring the preferred choice

Ummm apologize, it is no longer there. Blk 04 w/tan 6 spd now listed.
Sales: Ray Charles

Perry is showing a pufter little shifter here. Missed the "blue guages", on purpose. :tongue:

LOL Hey Neil

What funny is I never realized the gauges were blue until I took the pic. Even when I put in the polished gauge rings and cf overlay. Doh!

OK I know no one wants to pay more than they have to, but please keep this in mind. This is an extraordinary car, with incredible resale and terrific reliability, very low cost of ownership, that is not produced anymore. It is a car you buy for the joy of it and not as an appliance.

If you are going to invest your money into it, get the one you like and stop worrying about 2K here or 3K there. If you were buying any other car of this sort, a Z06, a Maserati, a used Ferrari, a Porsche MB or BMW, you would lose that 3K the second you signed. Within 6 months you'd be out 5K and in two years you'd be out 30K in depreciation and maintenence alone. The NSX is a 2/3 priced all aluminum limited production (more limited than say Aston Martin) bargain of a car. If they gave you a car that was worth 100K for 66K, would you still hold out and try to get it for 64K? If you find an NSX that you like, the color you like, BUY IT. You will not regret it. Any clean NSX is a bargain.

As for 02 versus 03, 04 and 05, I think the price difference is miniscule. The NSX holds its value so well that an older one still commands quite a bit of money. Try comparing any other car of this caliber in an 02 versus an 05. The price difference will be 30-40K not 10K. I would buy the newest one that I can find. That is why I have an 05. I think NSX owners on this forum really have a skewed of what a standard car is like, they are super spoiled by this little depreciation cost. To them, to save 5K or 10K is well worth it, because it is "the same car". Well, not really... one is an 05 and one is an 02. On paper, and in book value, they are very different. One is 3 years NEWER than the other. Its a price difference that anyone shopping for a Mercedes or an Aston would pay in a heartbeat because they are looking at MUCH higher differences in those cars even when they too are "the same car".

Yeah I offered niello 68k, but they wouldnt bite, plus they didnt know if or how I could avoid the sales tax, as I am out of state
Unless you're registering the car in the state of sale, you don't have to pay the sales tax, you'd get a temporary pass/registration from your state, or the selling dealer, in either case you'd need proof of insurance, but you'd pay sales tax once you register the car in your state. I've never heard that a purchaser had to be tax to a dealer when taking the car out of state to be registered elsewhere

OK I know no one wants to pay more than they have to, but please keep this in mind. This is an extraordinary car, with incredible resale and terrific reliability, very low cost of ownership, that is not produced anymore. It is a car you buy for the joy of it and not as an appliance.

If you are going to invest your money into it, get the one you like and stop worrying about 2K here or 3K there. If you were buying any other car of this sort, a Z06, a Maserati, a used Ferrari, a Porsche MB or BMW, you would lose that 3K the second you signed. Within 6 months you'd be out 5K and in two years you'd be out 30K in depreciation and maintenence alone. The NSX is a 2/3 priced all aluminum limited production (more limited than say Aston Martin) bargain of a car. If they gave you a car that was worth 100K for 66K, would you still hold out and try to get it for 64K? If you find an NSX that you like, the color you like, BUY IT. You will not regret it. Any clean NSX is a bargain.

As for 02 versus 03, 04 and 05, I think the price difference is miniscule. The NSX holds its value so well that an older one still commands quite a bit of money. Try comparing any other car of this caliber in an 02 versus an 05. The price difference will be 30-40K not 10K. I would buy the newest one that I can find. That is why I have an 05. I think NSX owners on this forum really have a skewed of what a standard car is like, they are super spoiled by this little depreciation cost. To them, to save 5K or 10K is well worth it, because it is "the same car". Well, not really... one is an 05 and one is an 02. On paper, and in book value, they are very different. One is 3 years NEWER than the other. Its a price difference that anyone shopping for a Mercedes or an Aston would pay in a heartbeat because they are looking at MUCH higher differences in those cars even when they too are "the same car".

Dang! Turbo2go with the smackdown! Didn't know you had it in you Dave!

Yeah I offered niello 68k, but they wouldnt bite, plus they didnt know if or how I could avoid the sales tax, as I am out of state

Niello won't let that car go for $68K. You might have had a chance at $70 or $71K, but I know they'll hold it before they give it up at $68K.

But, don't worry. Be patient and keep looking. The right NSX will find you before you find it. :smile:

Oh, and what's the difference between 02 to 05? Three years, that's about it. There are no material differences during those years. A few minor changes, here and there, but nothing that is too significant.

Dang! Turbo2go with the smackdown! Didn't know you had it in you Dave!

LOL... well... you buy cars that depreciate a lot used. You buy Audi, VW, Mercedes, high-end BMW's, Astons, Fords, GM's, and Chryslers... these cars you buy used because in a year it has tanked in value.

There are some cars that are not worth buying used: Camry's, accords, civics, almost any Honda, Toyota, some Acuras, certain Lexus models. The guy has driven it for 3 years and has 56K miles on it, it has a dent in the rear and no warranty, and he is willing to give you a whole $1900 discount off what you can get a new one for. Why? because that is the book value for it. :rolleyes: If I can have a rare exotic automobile that is 3 years newer for anything less than 20K, I am taking it.

I think it is a mistake when NSX shopping to hold out for that bottom dollar. Countless times on this forum I have heard people complain that the car they wanted just got sold from under them. Some people say "oh 75K is a lot for a used 05" but when there are 10 made in that year in that color, 2 are wrecked, 6 are not for sale and one comes up, is it really a time to hold out and try to save a small amount of money?

Everyone mentions that the 02 NSX is 10K less than the 05, but no one mentions that when you go to sell the car in 2, 3, 4 years, you get 8K of that 10K back. No other car is like this.

We have some investment professionals here. I bet they have done their homework and crunched the numbers and that is why they have newer NSX's. Initial cost and cost to own are usually not the same thing. Sometimes something looks like it costs more but over the long haul, it costs less. It is just fantastic that such a fine and fun vehicle is also a good investment.

Just trying to give you another perspective on it is all Slurpee.

LOL... well... you buy cars that depreciate a lot used. You buy Audi, VW, Mercedes, high-end BMW's, Astons, Fords, GM's, and Chryslers... these cars you buy used because in a year it has tanked in value.

There are some cars that are not worth buying used: Camry's, accords, civics, almost any Honda, Toyota, some Acuras, certain Lexus models. The guy has driven it for 3 years and has 56K miles on it, it has a dent in the rear and no warranty, and he is willing to give you a whole $1900 discount off what you can get a new one for. Why? because that is the book value for it. :rolleyes: If I can have a rare exotic automobile that is 3 years newer for anything less than 20K, I am taking it.

I think it is a mistake when NSX shopping to hold out for that bottom dollar. Countless times on this forum I have heard people complain that the car they wanted just got sold from under them. Some people say "oh 75K is a lot for a used 05" but when there are 10 made in that year in that color, 2 are wrecked, 6 are not for sale and one comes up, is it really a time to hold out and try to save a small amount of money?

Everyone mentions that the 02 NSX is 10K less than the 05, but no one mentions that when you go to sell the car in 2, 3, 4 years, you get 8K of that 10K back. No other car is like this.

We have some investment professionals here. I bet they have done their homework and crunched the numbers and that is why they have newer NSX's. Initial cost and cost to own are usually not the same thing. Sometimes something looks like it costs more but over the long haul, it costs less. It is just fantastic that such a fine and fun vehicle is also a good investment.

Since I'm probably going to call you soon for some free advice in your field, I'll weigh in with some free "investment advice" as I'm one of the "investment professionals" that you refer to. A car is not an investment, do not buy it as such. The best a car can return to you is enjoyment and a "portion" of your outlay. Cars that appreciate are usually classics, not to say that a "handmade, all aluminum, limited now out of production sportscar" can't or won't appreciate, don't buy it with that objective, you're likely to be disappointed. Buy it because it gives you enjoyment, puts a smile on your face, and most importantly, you can afford it without taking the principal or cash flow from funding education or retirement needs. OK, I'm finished with my "sermon":biggrin:

Well, i think most will agree, you buy a car like this for enjoyment while also trying to protect the investment(or maybe that is every car we buy). It would appear by observation that the value of the car depreciates almost exponentially with the miles on it. There is an 02 which has 13k miles on it for 63k. There is an 05 with 21k miles on it for 75k. If I put 20k miles on it in the next five years, do you really think the 05 will be still be worth 12k more considering it would then have 41k miles and the 02 would have 33k miles? My guess would be no. The older the cars get, the more they become valued on the miles.

My thoughts are I'll pay a lot more for an 05 over an 02, but only if it has comparable miles. At some point, an 05 with x amount of miles on it is worth the same as an 02 with 13k miles. My guess is x is about 35k miles.

Last edited:
Since I'm probably going to call you soon for some free advice in your field, I'll weigh in with some free "investment advice" as I'm one of the "investment professionals" that you refer to. A car is not an investment, do not buy it as such. The best a car can return to you is enjoyment and a "portion" of your outlay. Cars that appreciate are usually classics, not to say that a "handmade, all aluminum, limited now out of production sportscar" can't or won't appreciate, don't buy it with that objective, you're likely to be disappointed. Buy it because it gives you enjoyment, puts a smile on your face, and most importantly, you can afford it without taking the principal or cash flow from funding education or retirement needs. OK, I'm finished with my "sermon":biggrin:

LOL... I meant "investment" in the scope of cars. I didn't mean investment literally. I thought that was obvious. :smile:

What's odd is the NSX especially 91-94 buyers generally get all their money back when they sell as the prices don't seem to be going down on those.

Yeah you hit the nail on the head again. I still don't understand why it's a status symbol to buy the high end cars that lose half their value in a year or so. What's worse is people them used thinking they're getting a bargain and buy the time they get finished with parts and labor they could've bought a new one:wink:

This is the same for 90's 911's. It's tough to find one up here for less than 20k...unless its in crappy condition. So based on the prices of older nsx's, the most I can 'lose' on my 'investment' is 65k-25k=40k. 40k for 15 years of enjoyment is about 2500 per year. Thats pretty good when you compare to any other car you would buy off the shelf for 40k. As mentioned by somone earlier, the only downside is the initial outlay (which could be making 5% in the bank)

What's odd is the NSX especially 91-94 buyers generally get all their money back when they sell as the prices don't seem to be going down on those.

If I put 20k miles on it in the next five years, do you really think the 05 will be still be worth 12k more considering it would then have 41k miles and the 02 would have 33k miles? My guess would be no.

My guess would be yes, if that happens within a 2-3 year period. If that happens over 5 years then I would say maybe not only because both cars have depreciated a lot and come closer to each other in value.

I think there is a bit of extra value in an 05 simply because it was the last year of production. Anyway, make sure you get the one you want because it is your toy. Get the color you want. I gave up a brand new black/black to get a used silver/silver with 3600 miles on it because I wanted silver/silver. I am now second owner not first, that will hurt resale. I also took more of a risk buying a sight unseen used car than a new car. But I am happy. It is the color combo I wanted. It is not that different than when you are a kid and they give you your favorite bike. It is a lot better if the color is right. :biggrin:

Yeah... when you get down there the deprecioation is almost zero. Basically, it is like putting 30K in a bank and the interest is a free NSX to drive. With how little maintenance is on this car that is a pretty good deal I would say.

for 15 years of enjoyment is about 2500 per year. Thats pretty good when you compare to any other car you would buy off the shelf for 40k. As mentioned by somone earlier, the only downside is the initial outlay (which could be making 5% in the bank)

I have read several times on this board (like 6 times) of guys buying an NSX, driving it for 2 years, and then selling it at or above what they paid. Try that with a Maserati.

Funny thing is that Ferrari too is like this once the initial loss is gone. A used Modena will hold its value rock solid. But the $15,000 oil changes and the average 2K garage queen mileage will kill you. If you don't dreive it and you don't maintain it, you won't lose much.

I believe the oil changes are 300-400 bucks for the modena.....15k is probably if the transmission goes out or if the motor blows.

Last edited:
Anyone know how much 2004/2005 NSXs are selling for these days? I see asking prices in the 70s, but I was wondering if they are actually garnering that much.

Do you think the prices will increase in the next 5 years?

Anyone know how much 2004/2005 NSXs are selling for these days? I see asking prices in the 70s, but I was wondering if they are actually garnering that much.

Do you think the prices will increase in the next 5 years?

05's do sell in the 70's.

Back