• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What is up with people???

I was driving, and enjoying a nice Sunday drive. Came out of the blue this big black V10 Dodge truck tail gating me, I went nah I didn't want to get in trouble with the cops down Brookhurst street, local in here in S. California. So we caught the next light, he changed to my left and took off when the light turn green... well I didn't pay attention to him again, but then he slowed down and waited for me. At this point, I went ok let's see what he was up to? So I took off, caught up to him and passed him, I guess he was trying to catch me but he couldn't. So he tried to run me into the curb, what was up with that??? I tell ya man, sometimes I wonder what is really going on in their heads?:rolleyes: Just want to see if anything like that happened to some of us here?

I've heard too many stories to be willing to race ANYONE unless I knew I would lose (and what's the fun in that). I am perfectly happy letting them think what ever they want. The only time I've ever had someone keep coming back to try and entice me into a race was an Audi S4. I simply ignored them. So many people are such sore losers, I simply don't bother.

Some folks just suck it seems. Had a Neon come bombing up through traffic to catch me first week or so I had the car. He got along side and kept revving, the his friend rolled down his windows and started yelling something (my window was stuck so couldn't hear him :) ). I just shook my head and went to the right lane. He cut in behind me and started riding my tail flashing his high beams, so I just slowed down to 45 mph, flipped the rear view mirror out of my eyes and continued the conversation I'd been having with my passenger.

They carried on like that for about 5 miles! Jeez.

Some people just think they have something prove, or they are just bastards looking to cause trouble. With my built prelude and a some weight reduction it was in the low 13's which was plenty enough for the street, but from the outside it looked pretty stock. It took a lot of composure to ignore people because I knew how fast the car was, but they didn't. I just get out of people's way...it's not worth the risk these days. My cars see the hardest driving out in the middle of nowhere with no cars around, just some nice pavement and a lot of curves ;)

Here is an incident that occured to me few weeks back. I came to a stop at a light, and a truck full of gardening tools pulled up next to me, and revved his engine to try to demonstrate his manhood. Not sure what it is about, maybe he heard my Taitec exhaust (which is tad on the loud side) back a few blocks when I drove by, and needed to show me that he's got something also.

I have abosolutely no intention to race him, and I have nothing to prove to anyone. I usually ignore all people on the streets that try to provoke me. When the light turned green, to my surprise, the truck squeeched his tires and took off. His entire tools, ladders, buckets..etc fell off his truck bed and spread all over the road while this guy stomped and drove down the street. I couldn't stop laughing when I passed him at the next light, when he's trying to make U turn to go back and retrieve his tools.

Point is, there are always idiots out there, ignore them, move on with you life. Don't even bother acknowledge them. You, as an intelligent and responsible driver, know what action will provoke people, and what action will be interpreted as a 'challenge'. We've all been in those situations, so just play smart, and really "don't get into it" Let them play the fools that they are.

Lol this saturday morning I was driving and noticed a porsche coming up hard on my rear. So I thought ok porshe wants to play so I kinda slow down. Well he caught up and pulled up next to me for a second and then took off.... and thats when I noticed the Word "TURBO" on the rear :D .

SilverOne said:
Here is an incident that occured to me few weeks back. I came to a stop at a light, and a truck full of gardening tools pulled up next to me, and revved his engine to try to demonstrate his manhood. Not sure what it is about, maybe he heard my Taitec exhaust (which is tad on the loud side) back a few blocks when I drove by, and needed to show me that he's got something also.

I have abosolutely no intention to race him, and I have nothing to prove to anyone. I usually ignore all people on the streets that try to provoke me. When the light turned green, to my surprise, the truck squeeched his tires and took off. His entire tools, ladders, buckets..etc fell off his truck bed and spread all over the road while this guy stomped and drove down the street. I couldn't stop laughing when I passed him at the next light, when he's trying to make U turn to go back and retrieve his tools.

Point is, there are always idiots out there, ignore them, move on with you life. Don't even bother acknowledge them. You, as an intelligent and responsible driver, know what action will provoke people, and what action will be interpreted as a 'challenge'. We've all been in those situations, so just play smart, and really "don't get into it" Let them play the fools that they are.
Wise words, and great story, SilverOne...wish I could have seen that!
But are you sure it wasn't the resonance from your Taitec that blew his load out of his truck bed? I mean, your Taitec is BIG 'manhood' :D

I personally do not think that Xcite50 did anything wrong and here is why:

1.) All he did was pass someone that was slowing down. He did not fly by at VTEC flipping the guy the bird or anything. If the driver of another vehicle is intentionally slowing down I would find it idiotic to continually slow down, as if that trend continued you would not only find yourself eventually stopped, but also blocking traffic flow considerably.

2.) The guy in the truck was obviously one of the types of people that just act like an idiot because they can and it makes them feel more powerful. This is the LAST person that I would want to slow down and spend time dealing with. What if he had continued to slow down and then stopped Xcite50 and attacked him?? If he was crazy enough to do what he was doing, this would be entirely possible. Again, Xcite50 acted appropriately as far as I can see.

I would find it sad to think that we live in a society where passing a slow moving car is suddenly looked at as 'provoking' and is seen as a 'well, you deserved it' justification when getting run into a curb. There is NOTHING that Xcite50 did to provoke this, and from what it sounds like he was just passing a slow moving vehicle with an unstable driver. Xcite50 did NOT attempt any violence or anything that could be construed as such, and therefore should be exonerated of all guilt in this incident. The responsibility is squarely placed on the shoulders of the guy in the truck, period.

My wife and I were driving downtown when a Neon (with a lot of Neon) and a bunch of young people were weaving and driving erratically. At one point they sped up, past me, slowed down, and entered my lane. I instinctively let off the gas/swerved and then in anger blew the horn. That definitely incited them but they were in front of me, windows were coming down, and they were slowing down. Who the heck knows what could be happening and I had no intention of finding out.

I used their C pillar as a shield and kept slowing down faster then them (while simultaneously dropping a couple of gears so I could make a fast get-a-way should that become the best defense. They kept trying to slow-speed-slow to bait me alongside them but I kept them at bay until the next exit when I could pull off knowing they could not.

If someone comes along and says - "maybe you shouldn't have honked the horn at them" they would be right. I knew they were not paying attention, might be under the influence, and seemed to be looking for trouble. We are all human and have emotions that some times get the better of us. In any event - nothing is worth loosing your life (or even their life) over. So take away some empathy as we feel for you and it sucks BIG time that people like that are out there but also take away some good advice - you are never in such a hurry that you can't take a 60 second detour and get away from the a-holes with a license that can ruin a lot more then your day or your pride. When they are in front of you - you are in a much better position to get away then once they are alongside you or behind you IMO. Heck - get their license plat and call the cops (once you are safely away).

NoSX said:
Wise words, and great story, SilverOne...wish I could have seen that!
But are you sure it wasn't the resonance from your Taitec that blew his load out of his truck bed? I mean, your Taitec is BIG 'manhood' :D

Hey NoSx,

I might have witnessed this "great story" told by SilverOne. You just had to be there. My buddy and I couldn't stop laughing, we almost doo'ed in our pants.

Hey SilverOne, did this happen on 1/10/04 on Jamboree in Irvine/Tustin area? I was out in So.Cal. and didn't have my video to tape this for America's Funniest Video. :p

NSX-antic said:
Hey NoSx,

I might have witnessed this "great story" told by SilverOne. You just had to be there. My buddy and I couldn't stop laughing, we almost doo'ed in our pants.

Hey SilverOne, did this happen on 1/10/04 on Jamboree in Irvine/Tustin area? I was out in So.Cal. and didn't have my video to tape this for America's Funniest Video. :p

wow, very interesting, surprised someone actually witnessed it. Can't remember exact date, but it was on a Sat morning around 6am, and you're right about the location.

As I was saying...
icon8.gif

It's easy to distinguish between a friendly challenge (revving, smiles, etc) and outright aggression (tailgating, slamming on brakes in front of you, etc). Sometimes we find ourselves in aggressive encounters such as this. They may not even start out as our own choices; there are jerks out there who will act aggressively towards us, just because we drive a nice car. Yes, that sucks! But each of us can to decide how to deal with it, and the likely outcome in doing so.

Once you see someone exhibiting aggressive behavior on the road, commonly known as "road rage", and particularly when that behavior is directed at you, it is up to you to decide how to deal with it. Once you realize that you are in such a confrontation - even if you did nothing to warrant it - there are things that you can do that are likely to be perceived as responding to the individual, and there are things that you can do that are likely to be perceived as not responding to him. This is your choice, and knowing how your actions are likely to be perceived can help you determine the likely outcome. If you do something that is likely to be perceived as a direct response, the aggressor may feel a need to react even more strongly to your actions, and the situation may escalate in a way that may be beyond your control, such as if he forces you off the road or pulls a gun. Yes, it happens, and people have been killed in road rage incidents. So think carefully about how you want to react, and what is more important to you - "showing him up" vs arriving home safely with your car and yourself.

When I am driving my car, and I see someone acting aggressively and trying to provoke me into reacting, and I wish to avoid a confrontation, there are three things I do:

1. Stay away. That means staying in other traffic, or keeping at least a few cars in between mine and his.

2. Move with traffic. That means doing what the other cars on the road are doing, driving at the same speed, and basically not doing anything that could be perceived as a reaction to his antics, such as speeding past him.

3. Stay behind him, preferably with some distance between you. In any encounter, you have all the options if you are behind another car. You can watch him at a safe distance and see any unexpected moves. You can take a turn or exit after he has committed to going straight. (In fact, you can take an exit, and get right back on the highway a minute later, and unless you drive fast enough to overtake other traffic, you're unlikely to see him again.)

Here are some other tips about how to avoid being a victim of road rage, from the AAA Foundation website (and notice the bolded part, which is the precise point I had made previously):

The risks of driving alone can be exaggerated -- be sensible about your safety but don't be afraid to drive on your own. However, if you feel threatened by another motorist, the following gives advice on how to defuse the situation or protect yourself:

- If you're being hassled by another driver, try not to react. Avoid making eye contact, as this is often seen as confrontational. Don't be tempted to accelerate, brake, or swerve suddenly; again, this may be seen as confrontational and increases your chances of losing control of your vehicle.

- If a driver continues to hassle you or you think you are being followed, drive on to the nearest police station or busy place to get help.

- In town, lock the car doors and keep the windows and sunroof only partly open.

- When stopped in traffic, leave enough space to pull out from behind the car you are following.

- If someone tries to get into your car, attract attention by sounding your horn or a personal alarm.

- Do not be tempted to start a fight and do not be tempted to carry any sort of weapon. It may only provoke a potential assailant and could end up in his or her hands.

Be safe out there, and bring it home in one piece. There are already too many wrecked NSXs in the world.

Back