• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What makes an NSX reliable and a Ferrari unreliable?

I've had 4 civics, Integra, s2000, NSX and now a porsche 996 Turbo. I've been on both forums for quite a while. The 996 Turbo is VERY reliable and with a chip and exhaust I've never heard of an engine blowing. A chip and exhaust you are making around 500-525 hp conservatively.

I dont see how you can say that is unreliable. Again I am referring to the 996 turbo motor derived from the GT1 platform. I'm not talking about boxters/cayanne's/997 NA motors. The turbo motors are in a class by themselves.

Overall comparing a NSX vs a 996Turbo are comparing apples to oranges, not the same thing at all.

- David

Another words, a completely different design paradigm.

I think John has hit right on the nail :smile:

The reliability of Honda (or similar brands) comes from MINDSET.

If you WANT something to be reliable, you CAN make it reliable. It's not just the territory of the Japanese.

However, if you are satifisfied with a just-so-so product, you will end up with a so-so product.
And as long as your customers don't care about that too much, or sometimes even like to brag about how much they spend on maintaining their car, why would anyone complain. Most Ferrari owners have more than one car.
Now, if you would get stuck besides the road every other week because your only car let's you down all the time, then you would start thinking.

I think a big part is simply expectations. Ferrari doesn't expect it's owners to drive their cars more than a few thousand miles in the entire cars life. Why over-engineer a engine that will never see it's 30,000 mile checkup?

I think a big part is simply expectations. Ferrari doesn't expect it's owners to drive their cars more than a few thousand miles in the entire cars life. Why over-engineer a engine that will never see it's 30,000 mile checkup?
I know several 308 owners who had at least 100k miles on their car. Irrelevant I guess since few will buy those cars today.

Take a poll of 100 NSX owners, and 100 Ferrari owners.

Im not sure that Ferraris are unreliable, per se, just maintenance intensive.

+1 agreed.

Magnum PI beat the hell outa his car and both Miami Vice Fcars were kit car:biggrin:

I truely believe that the if the Honda guys felt reliability was being sacrificed for performance, they would either go back to the drawing board to try to get that same performance and the reliability they want, or they would scale back the performance for the sake of the other.

Ferrari is all out.

Think of an NSX as the Navy Seal team, and Ferrari as a Marine Demolitions unit.

Both perform, one just uses discretion as it does so. :wink:

Don't say that to a Navy Seal though. I'd pity the fool.

Back