• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What would have made the new NSX sell better?

The steering wheel evokes "racing" not "sports car." Apart from that, 99% of people could not tell you which was which (NSX v. 458) if you removed badging.

I really like Ferrari's steering wheels, but I suspect most designers would say "too busy."

The steering wheel evokes "racing" not "sports car." Apart from that, 99% of people could not tell you which was which (NSX v. 458) if you removed badging.

I really like Ferrari's steering wheels, but I suspect most designers would say "too busy."

Since you started the thread, I just put in my 2 cents what I thought was a weak link on the Gen 2 NSX. I am sure most car guys can tell the 458 interior from the NSX's. Great that you like the NSX interior. To me it is a disaster. Just have to agree to disagree.
Steve

↑↑↑↑ Hi Steve...

Old saying:

"Don't ask a barber if you need a haircut"

-Warren Buffett

Last edited:
the steering wheels is amazing tho.

I agree! Outside of way too many radio controls that I think make the wheel center look too "do everything" and less sportscar-focused-like, the steering wheel/rim itself feels amazing.

Your point is the one of many reasons why gen 2 nsx is arguably my favorite car of all time to this point. HP is important but not everything. Gen 2 nsx can do dangerous things while staying out of the 'hey look at that a**hole over there doing something that looks kinda dangerous' mode.

Ha, I can't quite imagine what dangerous things can be done w/o visibly heading into the "hey look at that a**hole" mode, as the main things I had in mind with my comment were speeding excessively over the limit and overly-aggressive starts or lane-switches at speed...things nearly impossible to hide and not look like an a**hole no matter how effortless or in-control they feel to the driver (or how fun they are...fully acknowledging that anyone else driving faster than you is a lunatic and anyone driving slower is an idiot...). :) My comment though was really mostly about that article and how lower-HP cars can be pretty fun when kept "in legal limits" but where that magazine article stuck to high-HP as if a driver's car can't have less than 240 HP... And with that statement I realize I really probably shouldn't chime in to any more NC1 threads like this since I'm so very not the gen-2's target customer and don't "get" what others get. :) Highest/fastest this or that is no longer attention-getting for me, I don't frequent the track, I don't feel comfortable blasting down I-79 at 85+ mph amongst all the texters and Prius drivers, and I'm completely happy sticking to 45 mph max amongst Pittsburgh's super windy country roads with 25-30 mph limits. The only thing I'm the target customer for with the NC1 is for computer wallpaper, garage posters, t-shirts, and "Honda pride," and for those there is no comparison or better option for me than an NA1/2 coupe. So maybe I better just shuddup and just stick to reading 'round these parts. :)

Last edited:
Which cars have base prices less than NSX that people here mention that they would prefer to own? The 570S and R8V10+ both cost more, and the 911 Turbo is about the same (more if comparably spec'ed).
The base NSX was vaporware for much of the past year. But even taking the base price as the one to beat, I think a few people here would take one of the lesser 911 models over the NSX.

I don't feel comfortable blasting down I-79 at 85+ mph amongst all the texters and Prius drivers,

I don't think I went over 80 mph on I-79S last Friday from camping in Erie, but most everyone saw me coming in the NSX and got out of the left lane :smile: After I passed them and they saw mud all over the car they were probably thinking WTF. I should have taken it to the Vintage Grand Prix this weekend like that :cool:

People don't pull over for me when I'm in the Prius. That alone makes the NSX a better daily beater!

What would make the make the new nsx sell better?
By never creating the first gen...

Last edited:
The car has the stealth factor.

if you want stealth, you don't buy a Supercar. that's the furthest thing from stealth...

there's no way anyone could mistake an Italian steering wheel for a Japanese one. no way. the NSX is bland as, the Ferrari anything but mundane...

Since you started the thread, I just put in my 2 cents what I thought was a weak link on the Gen 2 NSX. I am sure most car guys can tell the 458 interior from the NSX's. Great that you like the NSX interior. To me it is a disaster. Just have to agree to disagree. Steve

i'll agree to agree with Steve...

The interior I thought are not the best but actually very nice and functional. The pics for comparison in the thread are somewhat unfair, not sure if it was done intentionally to show case somewhat of biased opinion. Take the worst looking color configurations of the first year NC1 and compare to a NA2 NSX-R which arguably has one of the nicest interior.

The steering wheel on NSX is not the most beautiful but far superior than bulky NA1 steering that many of us ditch for NSXR style. NC1 steering wheel is certainly very functional. The volume control and channel switch button is pretty good, that is only button I use on NSX. On 570S it has zero buttons, I have to reach over to control even just the volume.

Ha, I can't quite imagine what dangerous things can be done w/o visibly heading into the "hey look at that a**hole" mode, as the main things I had in mind with my comment were speeding excessively over the limit and overly-aggressive starts or lane-switches at speed...things nearly impossible to hide and not look like an a**hole no matter how effortless or in-control they feel to the driver (or how fun they are...fully acknowledging that anyone else driving faster than you is a lunatic and anyone driving slower is an idiot...). :) My comment though was really mostly about that article and how lower-HP cars can be pretty fun when kept "in legal limits" but where that magazine article stuck to high-HP as if a driver's car can't have less than 240 HP..
After you spend sometime with NSX. You will likely be able to better relate to what I meant. It is not as obnoxious like Lambo or Ferrari or most of other supercars.

I am not targeting you at all, merely trying to explain what I experienced and my thoughts. Please don't over analysis. It is just a car, there are tons of cars out there.

I fully agree with your point on the magazine subject. I have an itch for a MX-5 RF, not because it is fast or it is powerful, it just offers the different type of fun I want. It is boring to just have one fun car. I am pretty multi-dimensional car enthusiast.

The thread topic is what would had made nsx sell better. Even if it had best interior in the world, it would not had sold better. The core issue has already been mentioned. Honda's primary goal is not selling a few hundred more NSXs per year. It doesn't move a needle on their top and bottom line.

I had a discussion with a car guy who's never owned anything low production/exotic or super high-end ever a few years ago when the newest NSX was still being developed and the turbo 4 cylinder mid-engine baby-NSX rumor began. He's used to owning 350Zs or BMW 335i, both cars that sell relatively well. He deduced that it was a no-brainer that the least expensive supposedly $60K baby NSX would sell way better than the current NSX now and asked why Honda would bother releasing the current NSX with a 100K+ asking price.

I told him you are stating the obvious, and if all you want is affordable power, then you'll never understand. I brought up the fact that Toyota has already released a turbo 4 cylinder mid-engine car that's cheaper and it didn't sell that much better than the first gen NSX considering the disparity in price tags.

No one understood why anyone would pay $80K+ for a 290 hp NSX either... Until they actually drove it. Even then there are some owners who sold and moved on to faster cars because they are looking for different experiences. It's not for everyone. If you want stupid fast, or simple fast, the NSX is not for you. It's always been a palpable mid-engine car. That's the key factor of the NSX. It offer the mid-engine experience in a very refined form and at a fraction of the competitor's costs. This was why the front engine V10 successor concept was not an NSX IMO. That would have been an all-thrills supercar that many of you want, but not in spirit of the first gen NSX at all. There are people who never fully understood the first gen NSX for what it was/is so it's expected that the new NSX is going to be misunderstood also.

The production interior is drastically different from the concept's interior but it's what you would expect from Honda. The biggest complaints were the seating position and material so there's always room for improvement. I could understand why some would feel let down considering the radical differences between the concept and production, however, there are reasons why concepts don't make it to production.

Getting back to the dead-horse interior issue... The A Spec TLX interior looks more like the NSX prototype interior than the production NSX interior does. To me, the TLX interior looks more sporty, cohesive and generally better than the NSX interior as well, somehow. (Except that the TLX interior looks a bit tall, for a more upright driving position.)

TLX18-031-gallery21-L.jpg

They got to do something about that butt ugly interior. Too many bright works and contrast. It looks like it belongs to an American soccer mom's SUV or a pimpmobile.
SteveView attachment 145853

The prototype interior is so much better.
View attachment 145854View attachment 145855

Getting back to the dead-horse interior issue... The A Spec TLX interior looks more like the NSX prototype interior than the production NSX interior does. To me, the TLX interior looks more sporty, cohesive and generally better than the NSX interior as well, somehow. (Except that the TLX interior looks a bit tall, for a more upright driving position.)

Dash pretty much the same as my Wife's '17 MDX. Learning curve w/ dual screens nav etc, but still pretty good.

One of the BEST aspects of the older generation NSX is although it was NOT the fastest car by any means, you certainly LOOK like you are going FAST as it had the best looking / most unique chassis back then and even now, the shape does not disappoint!!!

I'm not sure why there is all this talk of the interior since we personally love this new NSX interior, no grips no issues - maybe add some carbon upgrades but overall the car is fine on the interior.

The biggest factors that affected this new NSX is price tag. It's a tough pill to swallow going from a $60-80k car to a $200k car. Sure you have some hardcore NSX owners who would buy it but in general it's priced too high. Put it at $120-$150k and a lot of buyers will buy the car.

Another factor is exhaust note in our eyes and the hybrid power train. If Acura was to add a 6-speed manual tranny option and team it up with a N/A motor, it would suddenly have a product only Porsche can match. All of these are our opinions, hey we can dream can't we?

Sure you have some hardcore NSX owners who would buy it but in general it's priced too high. Put it at $120-$150k and a lot of buyers will buy the car.

Another factor is exhaust note in our eyes and the hybrid power train. If Acura was to add a 6-speed manual tranny option and team it up with a N/A motor, it would suddenly have a product only Porsche can match. All of these are our opinions, hey we can dream can't we?

bingo. a $120,000 to $150,000 light weight car with 600 ICE horsepower and you couldn't keep them in stock. it'd be the exact opposite of this current NSX iteration...

p.s. i think a clutch on the floor would help, but wouldn't be necessary for a sales hit.

I think the hybrid drivetrain is just a flat out gimmick. If it cannot hit a 1/4 mile faster or go around circuits faster than the competition then to me it is rather worthless. Unless you have OCD and constantly need to change your driving modes it just doesn't make sense to me. But then again I am Fred Flinestone when it comes to cars.:biggrin:

as you said, what's the point of all the fancy torque vectoring, mulptiple electric engined, techno-wizardy if it's slower than the competition's archaic straight ICE output cars? :redface:

I think the hybrid drivetrain is just a flat out gimmick. If it cannot hit a 1/4 mile faster or go around circuits faster than the competition then to me it is rather worthless. Unless you have OCD and constantly need to change your driving modes it just doesn't make sense to me. But then again I am Fred Flinestone when it comes to cars.:biggrin:

How many people drive their cars on circuits and race 1/4 miles all day? For driving around and having some fun, the hybrid system works very well.

How many people drive their cars on circuits and race 1/4 miles all day? For driving around and having some fun, the hybrid system works very well.
I drove it and didn't really care for the hybrid stuff. But that is just me. I hear a lot of the "theory" that you need to drive an nsx for a week to appreciate it lately. While that may be 100% fact, the problem is emotion and first drives sell cars. Not weekly ownership.

I drove it and didn't really care for the hybrid stuff. But that is just me. I hear a lot of the "theory" that you need to drive an nsx for a week to appreciate it lately. While that may be 100% fact, the problem is emotion and first drives sell cars. Not weekly ownership.

One hit of launch control had me sold.

One hit of launch control had me sold.
A quick sprint in quiet mode hearing the chassis clunk and clank, bump and grind did the hybrid in for me. Otherwise a great car with a solid chassis that needs more power in my opinion. Coupled with a very cozy interior and comfy seats. Less plastic would be great but I really liked the interior.

A quick sprint in quiet mode hearing the chassis clunk and clank, bump and grind did the hybrid in for me. Otherwise a great car with a solid chassis that needs more power in my opinion. Coupled with a very cozy interior and comfy seats. Less plastic would be great but I really liked the interior.

I think the interior is ok. The gauges in my Lexus is350 look cooler than the nsx gauges. I think they could have made that more special.. like an LFA. Also seems like there should be room for a cup holder in those big doors.

Tough to expect LFA interior pizazz in a car that starts under $160K.

LFA started at $375K and actually cost Toyota $750K per car to build (I had an LFA allocation and bailed out as it was too loud to maintain household harmony).

By not changing anything in 2018 model year I feel it may be the coup de grace for the car unfortunately. Here we have a model car over ten years in the making with Acura not listening to any of their own perspective buyers. It was a huge flop in the first model year. Now here we are with corporate continuing to insist it is the best car since sliced bread and carrying the torch to demise by continuing to not listening to their own customers and fan base. Sorry, but you'd have to be wearing google glasses to see that this car is not moving, selling, sparking interest, etc...
Which is too bad because I know the engineering is there but it's as if we have a Trump style CEO over at Acura....

Last edited:
I can tell you that the folks within Acura are not saying greatest thing since sliced bread.

They messed up the launch and have been slow to make corrections (ex. improving communication for folks who ordered a car, getting a test drive program in place).

My understanding is they are working on a better lease.

I can't understand why they didn't at least add some interior and exterior colors for 2018. My guess is the bosses said no more resources for you bad boys.

For example for Lexus, the overly shiny forged wheel that comes with some packages is unloved by many customers. Lexus is now letting folks order the car with the package but with the non shiny standard non forged wheel.

Back