• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What year NSX to get

Hi, I plan to buy a NSX sometime in the next year. My question is what year to buy? I like the hard top, I dont want the targa top, but at the same time I would like the 3.2l engine and 6speed tranny. I just wanted to see what everyone else thought about it? I plan to change alot of parts on the car, so either the 3.0 or the 3.2 is good. The other question is disregarding money, which NSX would you rather have, 91-01 or 02 and up?

01CLtypeS/NSX said:
I like the hard top, I dont want the targa top
Then get a '91-94.

01CLtypeS/NSX said:
at the same time I would like the 3.2l engine and 6speed tranny.
Then you could look for a Zanardi NSX or one of the handful of non-Zanardi '97-01 Coupes.

01CLtypeS/NSX said:
I plan to change alot of parts on the car, so either the 3.0 or the 3.2 is good.
Then save your money and get the earlier model (3.0).

01CLtypeS/NSX said:
disregarding money, which NSX would you rather have, 91-01 or 02 and up?
I'd rather have a fixed-roof coupe, so of course I'm limited to the '91-01.

Incidentally, I strongly recommend that, whatever year you decide to get, you live with the car for a while (say, six months) before you start changing parts. Get to know and understand the car and its performance capabilities. After doing so, you might decide to change totally different parts than you're considering now (or maybe more or fewer or even none at all).

i agree with nsxtacy if you plan on doing alot of work to the car might as well get an older one that you plan on tearing apart. then you can get the hardtop, swap in a 6 spd trans and whatever else you would like to do

Here is my '93...it has a painted roof (no shit!?) :biggrin: 6-speed trans, '97 brakes and wheels. I prefer the fixed top stiffer handling etc. I'm not sure most would notice a 3.0 vs 3.2...maybe you should buy 2 cars!!! Didn't work on my wife either :rolleyes:
Whatever you buy you'll love it and there is no place like prime baby!!

Attachments

• 7936040623-05-med.jpg
    7936040623-05-med.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 948
Eric C. said:
...maybe you should buy 2 cars!!! Didn't work on my wife either :rolleyes: ...

YES!! Go with the two car theory!! It is an excellent plan. :smile: :wink:

If you can afford it, then buy the latest model. If not,buy the earliest you can.
But if you are going to take it apart and modify, then get anyone with good body work and no accident record.

Does anyone know if they stopped offering the coupe in 01?

Is there still an option to order say an 04 or 05 in the fixed roof style?

I'm aware that the 97-01 coupes are extremely rare but I can't say I've ever seen an 02-05 coupe.

As an ACURA dealer is should the answer; but I dont.... Can you get a 2002-present coupe?? I know the 97-01 coupes are rare, and was wondering how many were made?? Also, my last question is I know that you can track the production #'s and colors in the FAQ section but it ends in 1998; anyone have a complete make-up the entire production #'s?? 1991-present, broken down by color, T's , coupes, trans type and interiors?? Thanks :smile:

BRIDGEWATER ACURA said:
Can you get a 2002-present coupe??
No. The fixed-roof NSX Coupe was discontinued for the North American market after the 2001 model year.

BRIDGEWATER ACURA said:
anyone have a complete make-up the entire production #'s?? 1991-present, broken down by color, T's , coupes, trans type and interiors??
All attempts to get that breakdown for model years since 1998 have been unsuccessful.

Ken,

As always your responses are tremendous and very knowledgeable, thanks and happy holidays!!

nsxtasy said:
No. The fixed-roof NSX Coupe was discontinued for the North American market after the 2001 model year...

Hey Ken.....is that one low mile Grand Prix White '01 NSX Coupe still floating around??? That poor car cannot seem to find a loving home and has almost no miles on it.

nsxtasy said:
Last mentioned in this topic. I guess it's now "in the wind" (lost, and nowhere to be found)...

Man, I hope that poor car has found a loving home. It seems to have had a checkered past to say the least. :(

nsxtasy said:
Last mentioned in this topic. I guess it's now "in the wind" (lost, and nowhere to be found)...

One guy bought it and posted about it on prime... then he found out how cool we all thought it was, so he turned around and tried to sell it for way more than he paid for it. I never did see if anyone bought it. I am wondering if something is wrong with it. It would be an incredible car to get.

I just read about that dealership... wow! My guess is the 01 coupe will end up on a police auction somewhere. I want it!

How Many Parts ???

I plan to change alot of parts on the car, so either the 3.0 or the 3.2 is good.

As far as the engines, there is only 20 HP difference, so I would not let that be a deciding factor for me. I would rather focus on 5 spd vs 6 spd.

As far as you changing "alot of parts", do you mean suspension and related components to improve handling? Or do you mean engine modifications to improve acceleration?

I had a coupe and I now have a targa. To me, and there are many track drivers better than me, the two feel the same on the track. Therefore, the targa (in my not so humble opinion) is a sexier car cruising topless on Westheimer.

NetViper said:
One guy bought it and posted about it on prime... then he found out how cool we all thought it was, so he turned around and tried to sell it for way more than he paid for it. I never did see if anyone bought it.
You're referring to username NYC01. He bought it in April, and sold it a month later. I assume he either sold it directly to Zakar Motors, or sold it to someone who then sold it to Zakar...

Just a thought, I see that you're a 21 year old and since the "newer coupes" are going to be rather expensive, and you're planning extensive mods, make sure that your financial "house" is in order first. There have been many threads here regarding priorities, etc. As a person who makes his living in the financial world, and a self professed "car nut", remember to keep things in "proper order", if after satisfying school loans, outstanding bills, obligations, you're still able to proceed, more power to you, if not, wait, be patient, it will happen in time, and yes, it's worth the wait!!!! :biggrin:

RPM217 said:
Just a thought, I see that you're a 21 year old and since the "newer coupes" are going to be rather expensive, and you're planning extensive mods, make sure that your financial "house" is in order first. There have been many threads here regarding priorities, etc. As a person who makes his living in the financial world, and a self professed "car nut", remember to keep things in "proper order", if after satisfying school loans, outstanding bills, obligations, you're still able to proceed, more power to you, if not, wait, be patient, it will happen in time, and yes, it's worth the wait!!!! :biggrin:
Excellent realistic advice. Sometimes we all need a reality check.

fannsx said:
Excellent realistic advice. Sometimes we all need a reality check.
Absolutely.

Here's something else to consider, along the same lines. When you spend money on a car, particularly a high-end sports car that is expensive to buy and expensive to maintain, it may be unwise, because there are other things in life that are higher priorities... but at least you can get most of that money back in market value when you decide to sell the car. On the other hand, when you spend money on mods, you will probably never see it again. Mods should be a far, far lower priority than the car itself.

Zakar motors bought that white 01 coupe @ manheim auto auction from a dealer in virginia....

NetViper said:
One guy bought it and posted about it on prime... then he found out how cool we all thought it was, so he turned around and tried to sell it for way more than he paid for it. I never did see if anyone bought it. I am wondering if something is wrong with it. It would be an incredible car to get.

I just read about that dealership... wow! My guess is the 01 coupe will end up on a police auction somewhere. I want it!

Nothing was wrong w/ that car, he drove it for a while find the car wasn't for him and sold it for a 360. How did you conclude he was asking for more than what he paid for.

Very good advice... :wink:

Back