• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What's the best radar detector out there?

No way, not speeding is...
smile.gif

------------------
Please visit http://www.nsxparts.com. The best place to buy and sell parts for your NSX.

As for radar detectors being illegal, I seem to remember that they are illegal to operate or have in plain view in Connecticut (on the passenger seat is a problem), but in the glove box is fine - I also believe that a number of states in New England have outlawed them - I seem to remember researching this for a trip from Florida to visit family in Connecticut, and I was going to leave the V1 at home for it.

Also, for removing the radar detector, it's a very good idea if/when you get pulled over; however, realize that the office can most likely watch you reaching and removing it - if you have it up high and out of the way, and you aren't using the cigarette lighter, you might consider leaving it, and turning off the car (so it won't beep while you're talking with him). Chances are he won't squat down to look in, and he won't see it, whereas he will see your hand go up, fiddle around, and come back down out of sight. =)

JMO, Y(Citation)MV...

Originally posted by burbel:
I seem to remember that they are illegal to operate or have in plain view in Connecticut (on the passenger seat is a problem), but in the glove box is fine - I also believe that a number of states in New England have outlawed them

Not true. Connecticut rescinded its former ban on radar detectors some years ago, so they are now legal in all six New England states. The only states where radar detectors are illegal are Virginia and the District of Columbia (technically not a state but you know what I mean), as well as the provinces in Canada.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 18 March 2003).]

ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

------------------
Mason
Tire Rack sales...contact me for all your wheel and tire needs.
1-800-428-8355
Ext. 619

1991 Acura NSX (auto)
2002 Honda S2000
1996 Acura Integra GSR
1990 Honda Accord EX
2003 Mitsubishi Evolution 8

The S2 doesn't give directional info. Just individual strength meters and contact type. I can generally tell the direction of the contact by the strength/time of the contact and the local geography. I have never wanted a direction meter, especially if the tradeoff is a HUGE unit, and the loss of the ability to remove it and throw it in the glove box when I am not in the car. I am satisfied with the S2.

In Canada do you get a ticket or fine for the radar detector? Do they take it away? Wonder what happens./

BTW I bought the passport and valentine, so I'm going to hook em both up and see which one is the best and then sell the other.

Originally posted by RoyGee:
BTW I bought the passport and valentine, so I'm going to hook em both up and see which one is the best and then sell the other.

Sell, or return? Both units come with a 30-day money-back satisfaction guarantee.

Originally posted by 9000RPMan:
The S2 doesn't give directional info. Just individual strength meters and contact type. I can generally tell the direction of the contact by the strength/time of the contact and the local geography. I have never wanted a direction meter, especially if the tradeoff is a HUGE unit, and the loss of the ability to remove it and throw it in the glove box when I am not in the car. I am satisfied with the S2.

Those directional arrows on the V1 have a benefit of letting you know there's still a cop ahead in the type of radar trap where you get a warning, see the cop, but don't know that there's another cop just over the hill, or around the curve. It has saved my bacon when I thought the heat was off. The only trade off for the V1 that I can see is HUGE saving in insurance premiums and fines....BTW....it does have 'quick release' and regular release features. But I gotta say a LASER JAMMER would certainly be of value....anybody with info?

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
Get the Valentine 1. Ten people out of ten will tell you that it's the best you can buy. Check out their website.

I just purchased my second VALENTINE 1 it came in the mail "on time".
smile.gif

PS...It's rare that you can call a company
about a product and you can talk w/ the owner (Mike Valentine) if need be w/out hesitation.
smile.gif

The unit works awesome!
Customer service is awesome need I say more??

MYNSX (Bill Chiusano)

------------------
WWW.MYNSX.COM

Originally posted by darcon:
a LASER JAMMER would certainly be of value....anybody with info?

I know of two on the market:

Lidatek LE-20 LaserEcho Laser Jammer
Blinder M-10 Twin Laser Jammer (U.S. website)
Blinder M-10 Twin Laser Jammer (International website)

Unlike radar jammers, a laser jammer is legal in most of the United States.

Originally posted by MYNSX:
PS...It's rare that you can call a company about a product and you can talk w/ the owner (Mike Valentine) if need be w/out hesitation.
smile.gif

The unit works awesome!
Customer service is awesome need I say more??

Not only can you reach him, but he mans the order phones every once in a while, just to stay in touch with his customers. I called once to order more suction cups (a $3 order) and he answered my call.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 20 March 2003).]

Back