• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Whats the best way to cut the dash panel?

Ok, so I got a science of speed center console panel about 3 years ago. Well, fast forward to today and I have finally installed the freaking stereo. Its now time to cut the panel. How do I cut it just perfect so that it lines up correctly?

I am sure some of you who did it have recommendations on how you did it. Its just hard for me to figure out exactly how I want to go about it.

Dremel tool. It cuts pretty straight.

Well, I understand that, I am more concerned about WHERE to cut than how. I guess I should have made that more clear.

It really depends on your head unit. For example my Alpine uses a sleeve that I could use as a template. I just moved it around on my center dash until it looked right. For me I measured the distance between the climate control and the clock and used that measurement. Then I traced around the sleeve and cut it out with a dremmel. The thing to watch out for are these two things:

1) The depth of the head unit. If it is long enough, it can hit into a bracket that runs behind the center dash. Make sure you measure behind and that you either clear it or that your head unit sit above it. I also used that bracket to make another bracket to hold the back side of my head unit up.

2) The width of the head unit. The center dash actually tapers down at the bottom so that the bottom width is narrower than the upper part. If you aren't careful, you may actually run out of width.

I think that someone actually makes a mounting bracket for me. I have the kenwood stereo double din. I am planning on having the second screen up in the pod to run the nav screen and the radio down below.

Which Kenwood are you using?

SOS has a proper double din mounting bracket for sale. I wonder though how far out the kenwood face would stick out of the dash or would it be flush like the installs by other members.

I have the bracket on its way. If it ever shows up. I just think it will look a little tacky to just have a square hole there and no pocket you know?

please tell us how difficult it is and how bad the edges look when its done

The factory has a rolled edge in towards the current unit and we cannot reproduce that look smoothly, so im wondering how much filing/sanding i need to do to mount a double din nicely

Back