• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Wheel Cleaner Part2

One day one foot of snow, the next day its 60 degrees and I cant sleep. Used the opportunity to try Rim Juice.

http://rimjuice.com/index.html

I used the SSR's on the bmw, Heres the wheel in all its nastiness: (yes thats caked on brake dust and winter salt) :eek: I hosed it down last night using the strongest stream on my hose. I ran my finger across the outside lip before starting and all I got was a slight smudge. So pretty much nothing you see on the outer wheel is coming off with just water. I'm just going to see what it does on the outer lip.

IMG_0300.JPG

IMG_0301.JPG

Obviously nothing is going to get this all off in one shot. Or will it? So I wet the wheel, get it nice and wet and proceed to spray on the rim juice per directions. I spray the entire wheel and let it sit for about 1 minute before applying more. Once I started spraying more, you can see the areas where the spray was hitting.

IMG_0302.JPG

You can see it working! I Spray some more..

IMG_0303.JPG

OMG :eek: its getting it all off. This is the same wheel with no agitating, just spraying.

IMG_0305.JPG

Heres a shot of the bottom of the wheel where all the excess spray went to:

IMG_0308.JPG

5 Mins later, no scrubbing and about as far as I want to take this tonight, How can this be the same wheel?

IMG_0307.JPG

I was really amazed with this stuff. :eek: If it wasnt 3 am, I would be tempted to clean all the wheels on all of our cars ot ar least have done a more complete job on this one. (this no scrubbing thing makes you lazy!)

I used alot about 1/3 of the bottle on the 2 front wheels. Without scrubbing, the rim juice got off more than anytihng else I have used in the past. (yes, even p21S) with the least amount of effort. I really wasnt expecting the wheels to get as clean as they did in one sitting. This is the same wheel that I was considering getting re-finished. It took me a few applications of p21s and some elbow grease to get close to clean. I have to admit, this is much better. The wheel is very clean, and no dirt or dust is left on the areas of rim I used the rim juice on. Best of all no scrubbing! I'm putting in an order tomorrow.

Disclamier: no association w/ Rim juice, bla bla bla*

Last edited:
You're doing this at 3 am? Well I guess that's better than mowing your lawn at 3 am. Looks great. Thanks for the information. I'll put an order in as well.

Be careful ordering this stuff from their website. When you go to checkout it commits you to to make 12 monthly purchases.

"Maveric's Rim Juice Instant Wheel Cleaner
Fast, Powerful, No Scrub Wheel Cleaner
Bills every 1 Month(s) for 1 Year(s)"

Hugh said:
Be careful ordering this stuff from their website. When you go to checkout it commits you to to make 12 monthly purchases.

"Maveric's Rim Juice Instant Wheel Cleaner
Fast, Powerful, No Scrub Wheel Cleaner
Bills every 1 Month(s) for 1 Year(s)"

:eek: :eek: :eek:

I've used to use Simple Green to clean my wheels but it is nowhere near as strong as this stuff appears to be. You do have to scrub still whereas he appears to be spraying the wheel grime off. There are some strong wheel chemicals out there that can do the same but some of them will eat through your anodized coating if you have polished lips. This one claims to be completely safe.

Hey guys thanks for your interest in Rim Juice. We are correcting the 12month auto billing problem. Will be fixed within 24 hours:wink: .

Just ordered a bottle, thanks for the write up Don. Spring is coming so it's almost detail time and I've got lots of yukky winter crap on my rims.

all you wanted to know about anodizing. what does that have to do with this particular cleaner? or are you just trying to get across that anodized aluminum is not delicate?

If anyone wants some stuff for their rims to stay clean after you wash it and repel over 50% of the brake dust from sticking, try out this stuff called RIMWAX.. it is made by smart wax and I sell a ton of them here in my shop. it actually works... check the product out on their website: smartwax.com..

my rimjuice arrived yesterday. the first think i noticed was that i paid $9.99 with shipping, and the post office stamp (USPS with delivery confirmation) indicates shipping was $5.50, so these guys sold a big 32 fl oz bottle of this stuff for $4.99. no complaints here! it wouldn't surprise me if they started charging for shipping soon.

anyway, i'm looking forward to the next day it gets up to at least mid-40's here to try this stuff, so it might be a couple of weeks. i'll post some pics as well once i get the chance to try this stuff. i'm replacing my rims and tires and am planning on selling my OEM 7-spokes and was really dreading cleaning them so i'm hopefull this product will save me lots of elbow grease.

OK, I gave this stuff a very quick try today. It's 40 degrees out and once you're playing in water, it feels a lot colder. My rims aren't nearly as bad as donwon's even though the last time they were washed was May or June of 2005 (just before Bove's Blast). I also found that my nozzle was broken on my hose, so the 'strong stream of water' that's mentioned in the instructions was my thumb over the end of the hose. Also I didn't have a cloth per instructions, so the dirt that remained may very well have wiped right off with a cloth. When it's warmer I'll try another wheel and do it the right way :).

Image 1-4
The wheel before doing anything
(image 1 accidentally overwritten, i no longer have the original)
IMG_1301.jpg

IMG_1302.jpg

IMG_1303.jpg

Image 5 + 6
After spraying on RimJuice
IMG_1304.jpg

IMG_1305.jpg

Image 7 + 8
After rinsing with my thumb covered hose
IMG_1306.jpg

IMG_1307.jpg

Image 9 + 10
Second application and another rinse
IMG_1308.jpg

IMG_1309.jpg

Image 11 + 12
Third application and another rinse
IMG_1310.jpg

IMG_1311.jpg

Total time involved, approx 3 minutes. I never touched the wheel with anything but the water from the hose.

Last edited:
Any idea on the pH? Spray on hose off is great if your wheel can handle the chemical. I've seen a mild acid etch wheels (BBS LM) and discolor calipers (Honda S2000).

Anodized surfaces cannot handle acid. It will etch and turn them cloudy.

No idea here, perhaps the guy in this thread who's selling it (Maveric) can chime in. I think they may sell litmus tests at the drug store, perhaps I use that to get a general idea of the pH. The bottle does say 'danger, corrosive'.

the wife is putting the baby in bed, so i've now resized the images to a more reasonable size :).

oops, my photoshop resizing batch job overwrote the original pre-wash pic with the clean one. i no longer have that one particular pic :(.

The seller (Maveric) provided a link above which says exactly the same thing about acid:

The advantage of a thicker anodic coating is its durability and longer life. The Achilles heel of anodizing is it's chemical resistance. Eventually the surface of an anodic coating may succumb to acidic pollutants in urban environments. Anodized surfaces, like other building components, must be protected from acidic attack during construction.

Hopefully given that the seller provided that link, his product isn't acidic (although the corrosive warning might indicate otherwise).

Acid in a wheel cleaner needn't be a red flag, one should simply know the product before using it on sensitive wheels. Most painted wheels can handle a strong wheel cleaner as long as the wheel isn't hot or the product left on too long.

Some more info via an email I received from RimJuice:

Ph is around 10, many are much stronger. But be sure to follow directions and not overuse.

We have developed an updated formula that will be available for sale late April that reduces the PH to nearly neutral without compromising its effectiveness. I tested it several timse on my BMW OEMs - with all the finger spokes - and its incredible. When it's available I will e-mail all my web buyers and offer it out at a discount. I may even do a buy-one, get-one.

Just out of curiosity, why are you guys so against spraying and wiping your wheels down with a microfiber? You'd save having to clean your wheels three times to get the same results of simply spraying, wiping, rinsing.

Back