• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Where were you during 9/11

Im curious to hear what people were doing when the news came in, since it is the 9 year anniversary of the attacks.

Me - I was an 8th grader in Middle school. Due to some kind of stupid rule, they did not air the events and did not even tell us about what was happening. I found out when i got home at about 3:30PM and my mom filled me in. At first i didn't know what the World Trade Center was...then realized they were the iconic twin towers in NYC. Then i spent the rest of the day watching it on TV and called some friends to discuss

Last edited:
I was in the Marine Corps.. stationed at Camp Lejeune sitting at my desk. A friend of mine who was a MP (Military Police) called me and said to turn on the radio or TV. I asked him to chill out and what channel. He said ANY channel, it doesn't matter (with sirens in the background) and he hund up. When I did, it was just minutes later that the second plane hit. I knew at that moment.. war was eminent.

The base went on total lockdown, damn near everything was mobilized, and within hours - I was preparing to head up to the Pentagon.

I was broke down in my 1994 cobra with a waterpump problem. I walked to the High School where my friend was picking up his sister and said jump in and listen to this...all over the radio. I really feel dread when seeing the 9/11 video's. I usually am not bothered by this type of things, but this is different.

I was at the lobby entering into the building that I worked and I heard my co-workers said two planes crashed into the WTC and another one crashed at the Pentagon. I asked them which movie did they watch the night before and they said it just happened in New York. I went upstairs and log onto Yahoo right away and I didn't believe what I've read. Since our building is so close to the airport, we were asked to evacuate for safety measure shortly after the south tower was collapsed.

I was in New York with my family exactly a week before 9/11 and my Dad asked me to take some pictures of the WTC and I said "Well, maybe next time". Unfortunately, there is no next time. We were on the UA flight flew back to San Francisco from New York exactly a week before 9/11 and if our trip was planned a week later, who knows we might be in one of those high jacked plane.

The clock radio woke me up and I lay there listening to the reporter saying crazy things. I refused to believe it for a while until I finally decided I should take a look at the TV. OMFG. I went to work and everyone sat around a TV all day and we were just in shock.

It was my 50th birthday. I got up .. turned on the TV to watch while I had breakfast and the first tower was burning but nobody really had a grasp of what happened. Then while I was having juice, the second plane hit. Birthdays haven't been the same ever since.

I was in a hotel in Vancouver on a third day of my road trip. After seeing the news on CNN, we decided to abort the road trip and head back to California. That was a long and eerie drive heading to the Canadian and US border. The free ways were pretty much empty and the news coverage on the radio were full of the horrify stories about the event.

Much like Ian I was sitting having breakfast as I normally do watching the news. I couldn't believe what was happening and I remember vividly the comments regarding a fire in the first tower (don't think anyone believed that a plane had gone into it)...then the reports came in that indeed a plane had hit it.

Walked over to the college I was at and everyone everywhere was glued to the TV's. We saw the second plane hit and dead silence everywhere.

None of us went to classes that day...:frown: I equate it to the surreal feeling of watching the Challenger Shuttle explode after take off. Something you won't see everyday.

I was in history class my freshman year in HS. A teacher came and talked to our teacher that perhaps a prop plane hit the towers. We turned on the TV..about five minutes later the second plane hit and right there I knew it wasn't an accident and thought our whole financial system would crash and that the "bad guys" got us good. :frown:

I was laying in bed listening to Howard Stern and the change in his tone of voice was incredible. I turned on the tv and was watching the situation unfold and when the second jet hit I knew it was a terrorist attack. Even though I moved from NYC 15 years ago, it still saddens me when I see any 9/11 documentary. The innocent lives lost that day are unforgettable. I knew people in the towers and on one of the planes who died. My computer screen always gets a little blurry when I think about all of the families affected by the terrorist attack.

Having grown up not far from NYC I was in shock at what happened. I remembered going to the WTC when it first opened with my parents. I had watched the buildings going up when I was a kid and had eaten at the resturant Windows of the World a number of times. Like many others, you never think that one day those buildings will cease to exist. I have a lot of pictures of the WTC that I took when I was working at the Coast Gaurd base on Govenors Island. I have to find the negatives so I can print some of the beautiful night time shots that I took.

I was a few miles away working at home in Brooklyn. My wife was way uptown at her job already, so I knew she was at least temporarily ok. My first thought was for a coworker who I knew had been scheduled to be onsite at WTC first thing. Through some miracle his customer contact was running late and had rescheduled the whole thing until later. Saved both of them. Another colleague of ours was not so lucky, however, and was on one of the planes. I believe he had specifically managed to catch that earlier flight too... Life is insane sometimes.

I signed up for the HPDE at Thunderhill on 9/11/2001. That @#$%^&* snapring broke on my car so I stayed home that day instead. My wife ran to me almost in tears alerting me what was happening. My then not yet 3 year old boy was showing me some "big fire/explosion" with his little arms.
Don't you ever forget that day! Bunch of chicken shit extreme Muslims who ALWAYS fight dirtily and only kill the civilians and innocents. When it comes to fighting man to man, they are just hiding building bombs and booby traps. Cowards!
Steve

Last edited:
I was home out of work thank god. I remember waking up and the TV was on and the VCR was taping what I thought was a movie. There were lots of sirens in the background around my house but thats not strange to me since I live near a highway which is prone to lots of accidents. As I watched the tv I realized it was not a movie and that what I was watching was actually happening. I immediatly started to call to find my family and close friends to make sure they were OK.

This is one day that many will be able to recall where and what they they were doing that day.

Was in my office, with CNBC on (in the investment business) and watched with horror as the scene unfolded. We were all just numb - all day long. All week long. Such a cruel, cowardly, and inhumane thing to do. All innocent people.

Had been to the "Windows of the World" restaurant at the top, and can't begin to imagine what the people in the building suffered through. It is almost impossible for me to watch videos of that day.

Made me want to sign up and hunt the bastards down. Just too old. Jay

I was at an HPDE event at Thunderhill. Oddly, I have an NSX hat to commemorate the day.

Attachments

• 911 hat.jpg
    911 hat.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 38
  • 911 hat2.jpg
    911 hat2.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
I was on my way to class in Hunter College uptown from the towers. Class got canceled after the news and the city was on total lock down. no trains could go in or out of manhattan. I had to walk downtown to the 59th street bridge and walk back to queens. It felt surreal to see two large tower of smoke and debris from where the towers once stood. There was smoke for 3 whole days where the towers once stood. It angers me now just to remember back on it. Everytime I drive to Manhattan and I see where the towers use to be, I get reminded and it angers me again. Fuck those radicals!!!!

I was watching the pre market opening on Squawk Box and they said they thought a small plane had flown into one of the towers. They later updated the information and showed the tower that had been hit. While watching that, I saw the second plane hit the other tower. I knew then that our country was under attack. My ex-wife and I were getting ready to go to work. We both worked in the Financial District here in San Francisco. She got a call from her employer, Smith Barney, and they told her not to come in. She worked on the 45th floor of a sixty story building. I heard via the television that another plane had hit the Pentagon, but decided to go to my office. As I mentioned, I worked in the Financial District of San Francisco where all of the high-rise buildings are located. It was so strange because there were so few people in what was normally a very busy area. I also noticed that the few of us that were in the area were all looking up to see if there were planes in the sky. I sat in my office for about half an hour and decided to go home. I closed the office for all of the employees and sent them home.

I had about five of my employees at our home office in Manhattan for training when this happen. I spent the next few day trying to get them back to San Francisco because they were stuck in New York.

Last edited:
I was more or less skipping class during the first few days of my Senior year of High School. I had decided to drop AP Chem and the Counselor and Principal were helping me create a new course schedule in the main office(small school). We had word that something had happened in NY, and tuned in to the first tower on fire and smoking and nobody knowing what was going on. We then watched the plane hit the second tower on live TV.

The entire office and school were dead silent. There were not TV's in every classroom at the time, so wherever there were TV's, the classrooms intermingled to watch what was going on. The school adminisitrators had considered cancelling all school activities, but decided to keep them scheduled. I remember running soccer practice that night in a daze. As captain of the team, I had the guys bow their heads in a moment of silence for all of the innocent people murdered. I also remember strongly considering signing up for the National Guard at the time to punish those who destroyed so many innocent lives. We parted after practice on a silent note.

I still remember the sense of dread while running laps on the soccer field. Nothing in my life has caused that kind of feeling since then, and I hope to God nothing ever will again. Unfortunately the way things are going in the world, I fear it will be only too soon before something stirs those feelings again...

I was stationed at Marine Corps Air Station Miramar in San Diego at the time. I was the first one in my section and one of the few Marines that were at work that morning.

My SNCOIC called the shop saying we were under attack and he couldn't get on base since they locked it down. I was the only one in our shop and figured they were playing a trick on me. I was like "whatever".

Shortly after that, our division chief called with the same story. Now him I took seriously. Went over to our duty hut and saw the second plane hit. We gathered the few Marines that were there and headed over to the armory to draw weapons and ammo.

I never thought we would still be involved in this war this long or that I would still be in the military.

I was on an American airlines flight on the runway for takeoff at SFO. It was my normal 6am flight to Dallas to meet with my sales team. We were cleared for takeoff, the engines started going when all of a sudden the pilot shut it down. A few minutes later he came on and said we were heading back to the terminal because of an issue. we deplaned and were told the airport was on lockdown. One of my sales managers from Dallas called and told me what happened. She gave me the breaking news as it was reported. A few hours later they opened the airport and i went to my office where i watched the news. I remember how angry i was.

My sister moved to new York that year for med school. I wasn't able to contact her for days. When we finally talked she told me about everything she saw from her apartment window. my wife and i went to nyc several months later and visited ground zero - said a prayer for the families.

I was in highschool at the time. I was sitting in business math class and out of no where somebody wheeled in a TV. I thought it was just a accident. Then all a sudden the second plane crash into the tower and I knew this wasnt a accident.

I was in Dallas for work, going to different manufacturing suppliers and identify turbine parts in their inventory that had been "lost" for some time. I was eating breakfast at my hotel and caught wind that a plane had hit the WTC. In my head I just assumed some cessna or small prop plane had hit it....then I heard about the other plane and new something was very wrong.

We still went to the manufacturing facility that day to work and we worked all day, so only heard news via word of mouth from other people that were listening to the radio. We didn't eat lunch that day until about 3:30 or so and thats when we saw all the news footage. It was horrible, I remember tears welling up in my eyes knowing how many people died that day, let alone watching the footage of people throwing themselves from the building and then watching the buildings fall. I remember being raging mad, thinking how can someone feel vindicated by killing so many innocent people:mad:

We were supposed to fly from Dallas to Houston to another manufacturing facility that day after we got done working, but our flight was grounded so we drove. Myself of Indian descent and another colleage who is Indian and another coworker who is caucasian. We certainly got some rough looks that day driving through Texas when we stopped for food or gas, but it is what it is...

Was at home, in Texas A friend called and said turn on your tv.....I could not believe my eyes as the event played out....I have been in both towers years before.Even ate lunch at the resteraunt. Really sad to watch......I think they should rebuild them and have a special memorial as you enter each building. I guess the owners of the towers recd insurance payout? I know my policies for homes and buildings say no coverage for acts of terrorism? :frown:

Back