• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Whit Water Rafting in Tennessee?

HTN

Experienced Member
I'm looking to do a weekend get away with my wife.
We are wondering if there is a good spot for white water rafting.
Any suggestions?

Thanks

Most people around here and TN go to the Ocoee River. The Cherohola Skyway and Dragon aren't very far from there either.

Do some searching for places on the Ocoee to go. There's certain times when they open up the dams for better rapids.

Might have some savings here: (never stayed here though) http://wzyp.huntsvilledeals.com/details.php?pid=42865

If you want to save some money and have the same experience as white water rafting follow these instructions according to John Pinette. Get a bag full of rocks and take it into a cold shower. Start whacking yourself with the bag of rocks and you have now experienced rafting. :biggrin:

The Ocoee is a fun run for sure. I used to kayak it fairly frequently when I lived in Chattanooga. I think I may have rafted it once as well. It is a class III+ run and is dam controlled. I believe it runs every weekend during the summer. Check here for details: http://www.americanwhitewater.org/content/River_detail_id_1780_
Disclaimer: the water will be chilly this time of year, but not freezing cold. Expect around 50 degrees farenheit. DocL wasn't too far off the mark, though you can probably manage to stay in the raft and avoid the rocks. The Ocoee is not nearly as gnarly as big rivers in WV or CO (where I used to raft guide :biggrin: ) but is wet and wild enough to satisfy most people's whitewater dreams. If it's not enough fun for you, hang around 'till October and head up to WV with me for Gauleyfest, woohoo!

I live in Chattanooga, about 35 miles from the Ocoee region. Used to live in Benton, TN which is right next to the river. I don't do rafting (golfer) but let me know if I can help in any way.
-Robert

If you want to save some money and have the same experience as white water rafting follow these instructions according to John Pinette. Get a bag full of rocks and take it into a cold shower. Start whacking yourself with the bag of rocks and you have now experienced rafting. :biggrin:

This is how we do it in South East Asia,except no shower. We just wait for the rain and throw rocks at each other.:biggrin:

Thanks everyone else for the tips.

Back