• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Who still has the original clutch?

I am just curious to see who here still has the original clutch in their NSX. Post the year and mileage.
1991 with 72,000 on original and still NO slipping:smile: !!

1991 with 88,000 miles and i'm about to replace mine. Slips horribly. But i kinda hotlapped the nsx at the local track and put the nail in the coffin on that clutch.

Years ago when I had my BBSC I took it to the track for a few runs. I'd never been before so I'm sure I was pretty hard on it then.
During the engine rebuild process, I decided to go ahead and replace it. That was ~49k.

Years ago when I had my BBSC I took it to the track for a few runs. I'd never been before so I'm sure I was pretty hard on it then.
During the engine rebuild process, I decided to go ahead and replace it. That was ~49k.

Yeah that was my first time ever on a track, much less trying to launch a decent 60ft off a tree, and first time ever trying to launch a rear engine car. My only advice for that subject is

"F*** the 3rd yellow, GO!"

My '91 had 65k miles on it when I changed the clutch last year....but it was slipping.

1997 with 74,000 miles. So far so good. I would be surprised if I can get another year(20,000 miles) out of it, but we'll see.

I am at 73000 miles (just reached 117000 km) and still on my original clutch. I expected the clutch the give up on me last year but it simply didn't.
There is some slippage in first gear at times when I am accelerating hard, but I have grown accustomed now to FIRST get the car rolling in first gear and THEN step on the accelerator. I think that once you're rolling the wear on the clutch is minimal. It's the take-off that wears it out quickly.

91 High 50's original clutch, master/slave cylinder. No slipping hopefully will last another 20k I baby the shifts.:wink:

Mine let go fairly dramatically on a race track, downshifting from 5th to 4th. It was a '92 with 111,000.3 miles. I remember that is what the odometer said when I coasted to a stop. :)

To test if yours is close to slipping........short shift to 4th gear. Go about 30 mph and then put the gas to the floor and run it up to 70 mph or so. Watch the tach. Once you detect a slip, your track days are done with that clutch, but you can baby it on the street for another year.

To test if yours is close to slipping........short shift to 4th gear. Go about 30 mph and then put the gas to the floor and run it up to 70 mph or so. Watch the tach. Once you detect a slip, your track days are done with that clutch, but you can baby it on the street for another year.

Mine is to the point where i have to get a good start on a hill, and just about anything over 40mph is a hassle trying to get to. If i give it any gas that much at all it just slips. So she's in the garage for a bit until i get around to swapping the clutch.

i replaced mine at ~64k (1991)..... just started to slip.

then i put in an RPS - put 500 miles on it then replaced that one :wink: (bad clutch disk)

put a new RPS in, and it's niiice :cool: couple thousand miles on this one and i like:smile:

The life of the clutch as you can see depends alot on ones driving habits. I would presume alot of the higher milage clutches are highway crusiers with long commutes or easy drives behind them.

The life of the clutch as you can see depends alot on ones driving habits. I would presume alot of the higher milage clutches are highway crusiers with long commutes or easy drives behind them.

That's correct for me.
My drive to work consist of maybe 3-4 stop lights and 20 minutes of 70mph highway.

86k miles with CT supercharger last 10k+ miles. Still runs good. But I don't think it will last another 10k miles. Planning on replacing it next winter.

I don't. But I bet I have the shortest lifespan on my original clutch! My original clutch was replaced after 800 miles, when the starter ring gear came off the flywheel. They replaced the entire clutch because they didn't want to chance anything else having been damaged as a result.

The NSX tech who did it (at Acura Motorcars near Cleveland) had gone through training on the NSX but this is the first clutch he actually replaced. This was in May 1991.

The clutch he installed lasted for 38K miles before one of the springs broke and it was replaced.

1998 with 56,000 miles and the original clutch.

Back