• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Who's city has gone smokeless?

You people have got it made. I'm so sick of leaving bars/clubs/restaurants with burning eyes and clothes that smell like an ashtray. Last night we actually had to leave the place we were at because the smoke was SO BAD. Columbus, OH went smokeless, can't wait till Cincy follows suit.

All of Washington State has passed a law prohibiting smoking in public places...

As a Libertarian it bothers me that the government is telling people how to live their lives....But it's nice that I can go places I wouldn't go before, Like Bowling!!!

Last edited:
Columbus Indiana also is imposing a ban, which excludes bars and private clubs.

I think Dallas is smokeless, but there is a lot of disobedience to the rule, and I still encounter it at bars, and clubs- I have accepted that it is a fact of life if I want to go to those sort of places.

My experiences in California were pretty good- they are pretty much smokeless everywhere- of course, no matter what the law says if you want to sit on the patio you are going to encounter it. I found the outdoor areas of smokeless clubs have become totally undesirable places to be.

I appreciate the rules that allow me to remain clear of this sort of pollution, but at the same time I have to agree with Zahntech regarding laws that govern lifestyles.

I think people who get uncomfortable about gov't running our lives, regarding smoking, are reaching.

smoking should be illegal. If smoking marijuana is illegal, cigarettes should be as well. It should be illegal to even sell them. It only harms people, and has no positive effects on society.

i hate cigarette's sooo bad

no puff'puff...

Austin Texas has gone 'smokeless', ie. implemented a "smoking-ban". There was a referendum type vote 2years ago, and business owners had the opportunity to present their cases and arguments. They failed to come up w/ concise, concerted effort.

I do welcome the change in that I noticed I don't have to laundry/dry-clean EVERY piece of clothing I wore that particular evening/nite. I'm sure local sales of Febreeze have gone down as well... :biggrin: However, I don't like the fact that hookah/'sheesha' lounges had to also adhere to the changes, thus ending one the few things I actually liked to do on a nite-out.

Many of the bars, pubs, clubs, lounges, and bistros/restaurants in Austin have outdoor decks and pavillions. And the year-round weather is fairly consistent in terms of lack of the wet-stuff and cold-stuff. So patrons do manage to get their puff' on outside w/o leaving the property.

FYI: Austin is a very liberal place, in terms of political affiliation and lifestyle.

Last edited:
Re: no puff'puff...

Columbus Indiana also is imposing a ban, which excludes bars and private clubs

I use to live in Columbus..miss riding my bike in the cornfields!:smile:

All public places in Maine have been smokeless for about 4-5 years now.....:biggrin:

Many bar and restaurant owners complained about the law...but now they are making more money than they did before the ban....most people don't smoke so it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that smoke free means more money!........as Napoleon Dynamite would say..... ugggh....IDIOTS!!!

Attachments

• jon_heder_napoleon_dynamite_interview_top.jpg
    jon_heder_napoleon_dynamite_interview_top.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 44
rickysals said:
I think people who get uncomfortable about gov't running our lives, regarding smoking, are reaching.

You don't know what a Libertarian is do you?:smile:

The Libertarian presidential candidate in the last election believed that Heroin should be available at your corner drug store and if you died from taking it, that was your own tough Sh/t...

I personally feel that it is not the governments job to hold everybody's hand while they go through life and make sure they don't get a Boo Boo...

zahntech said:
All of Washington State has passed a law prohibiting smoking in public places...

As a Libertarian it bothers me that the government is telling people how to live their lives....But it's nice that I can go places I wouldn't go before, Like Bowling!!!

True....but I view it more as promoting the general health of the population. No one likes to smell someone else's farts or bad breath.....why should we inhale their smoke simply because they've made the awful decision to light up.

And while I'm on the subject of it....I CANNOT STAND IT when smokers just throw their buts out of the windows. I had my targa off last summer and a cigarette bounced off my windshield and almost got in the cabin. I would have murdered the idiot who threw it if it had gotten in.

rickysals said:

smoking should be illegal. If smoking marijuana is illegal, cigarettes should be as well. It should be illegal to even sell them. It only harms people, and has no positive effects on society.

i hate cigarette's sooo bad

I think people who don't understand what powers the government should/should not exercise, need to open their eyes.

Typing statements on the internet with poor reasoning should be illegal. It should be illegal for people like this to even type. It only harms people and has no positive effects on society.

I for one disagree with the majority of the people that posted on this thread, maybe its because I smoke or maybe the thought of the government overreaching its power to restrict the public concerns me.

zahntech said:

We have much in common I see. When Columbus, Ohio went to vote on the smoking ban I loudly condemned it and voted against the ban. I obviously lost that fight. I am, however, a non-smoker and now reap the benefits of that lost fight.

Some people will never understand why sometimes you have to fight for a principle and freedom of rights, as opposed to what the majority of the people want.

Ennesssex said:
I think people who don't understand what powers the government should/should not exercise, need to open their eyes.

Typing statements on the internet with poor reasoning should be illegal. It should be illegal for people like this to even type. It only harms people and has no positive effects on society.

I for one disagree with the majority of the people that posted on this thread, maybe its because I smoke or maybe the thought of the government overreaching its power to restrict the public concerns me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WOW And I thought I was good at pissin in people's Cheerios!!:wink:

St Louis I wish....:confused:

You cannot smoke in restaurants anymore in the state of GA. It is absolutely fantastic. I love it.

Boston has been smoke free for quite a while now. I definitely prefer it this way even tho I'll have a cigg every once in a while when I'm out with my friends at the bars.

I do not believe the gov't is over stepping its boundaries by banning smoking. The bans are enacted to protect the health of the workers and non smoking customers at bars/clubs/restaurants. If smoking only affected the smoker himself I don't think there would be any sort of bans. Unfortunately there's a lot of evidence that it effects everyone around them. Why should everyone have to be negatively impacted by a smoker’s actions?

Remember when smoking was allowed on flights in the 80s? Now that was nasty.

Just this month, Chicago's clean indoor air act banning smoking in indoor public places went into effect. It applies to most restaurants immediately; bars and places that receive the bulk of their revenues from alcohol have until July 2008 before they must comply as well.

Fourteen states (listed here ban smoking in restaurants statewide, and others have various smoking restrictions in place.

dawggpie said:
I do not believe the gov't is over stepping its boundaries by banning smoking. The bans are enacted to protect the health of the workers and non smoking customers at bars/clubs/restaurants. If smoking only affected the smoker himself I don't think there would be any sort of bans. Unfortunately there's a lot of evidence that it effects everyone around them. Why should everyone have to be negatively impacted by a smoker’s actions?
I agree.

Toronto is smoke-free as well. Been like this for years and it's awesome. Some bars have covered patios and smoking rooms, but not that many, it's great.

I go to some private clubs that you can smoke in, and every night after I come back I realize how disgusting it is, and how glad I am that the public bars are all smoke free.

See I wish that smoking was ban everywhere here in NJ, and deffinelty if anything in the Diner. I go to my towns diner here and there and I notice one thing. A huge amount of kids who smoke, who have some lingering all over them in their section. Like they are trying to hotbox within their area of 8 tables. Sometimes I sit there to meet some of my friends and it's redicules (sp??) that I have to constantly be waving my hand to get the smoke out of my face to talk to people. It's not just my friens but other people too. Sometime someone get away with mary jane. I dont know, it must be all those health classes I had in my years. smoking is pointless, and uncool. PLus it gets expensive after a while, depending on your addiction.

dawggpie said:
Boston has been smoke free for quite a while now. I definitely prefer it this way even tho I'll have a cigg every once in a while when I'm out with my friends at the bars.

Remember when smoking was allowed on flights in the 80s? Now that was nasty.

I can understand the viewpoint that smoking affects other people than just the smoker himself/herself and this may justify the no smoking policy. However, this is a slipper slope argument where its difficult to draw the line where and when the government should not interfere on other issues. For instance, drinking, skin cancer (arguably the government may restrict the number of hours one can stay outdoors in the name of public health), obesity, guns and so forth. The point being, where does the government draw the line between protecting the general public's welfare/health and interfering with the public's choice.

Also as an example, arguable drinking affects people just like smoking. Often times, the results of drinking occur alot quicker (dui accidents) compared to second hand smoke. Does this mean that we need the government to ban drinking?

In my opinion the majority of the opponents of this ban on smoking take their positions not based on the issue of smoking but rather the precarious position of the government dictating personal choice.

SilverStone05 said:
You people have got it made. I'm so sick of leaving bars/clubs/restaurants with burning eyes and clothes that smell like an ashtray. Last night we actually had to leave the place we were at because the smoke was SO BAD. Columbus, OH went smokeless, can't wait till Cincy follows suit.

The only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over any member of a civilised community, against his will, is to prevent harm to others. - John Mills

The right to swing my fist ends where the other man's nose begins.
- Oliver Wendell Holmes

My right to swing my fist ends at your nose. Your right to make noise ought to end at my ear – Les Blomberg

My nose ends exactly where I say it ends! - SilverStone05

And the champion of long noses:
Someum' better? Yeah, I can give you some'um better - CD Bales

Those who would give up liberty to purchase a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -Benjamin Franklin

Off topic incidental unintended consequences:
Zantech will back me on this, Seattle now has a problem with cig butts. Everybody removed their outside ashtrays and now there is noplace to get rid of the butts except the sidewalk. So they are talking about a $500 fine for dropping a butt on the street. A Seattle cop's viewpoint, "I got murders, rapists and jaywalkers to catch. I haven't time for that kind of crap."

mindretch said:
So they are talking about a $500 fine for dropping a butt on the street. A Seattle cop's viewpoint, "I got murders, rapists and jaywalkers to catch. I haven't time for that kind of crap."

So have a special force of people to do that job. Many would be proud to do it and clean up the streets.

Back