• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Why couldn't Acura have designed the NSX like this?

I guess all the magazine editors that call the LC exotic looking are wrong, but you are right...... Anyway you missed the point and the point was that Honda could have brought to market a better looking, more exotic design at a lower price point. Don't think that's too hard to grasp or is it?

groovy, i can dig what you're saying Sunline. Honda could have done a lot of things differently if they wanted, but they let American designers in America build their car. probably not the best starting point for a Japanese flagship...

View attachment 149296In my opinion this is one on the better looking mid-engined cars to be presented in recent memory, and it looks a little Japanese. The rear could maybe use a little work, but other than that I think it is money.

If Acura had used a design similar to this without all the tech and kept the price close to 120K I think they would have knocked it out of the park.

Still really like the new NSX, it drives great, the transmission shifts better than a Porches and it holds a set of golf clubs in the trunk, just not the most appealing mid-engine design.

Because this over-styled boyracer looks crappy.
Steve

Don't buy one then. Looks awesome to me.....to each his own.

I had the chance to see it at the LA Auto show yesterday, looked freakin awesome, albeit out of my wheelhouse unless of course I win a lottery of $75 million+....JM2C...I could be wrong...:tongue:

Don't buy one then. Looks awesome to me.....to each his own.

Of course, "to each his own" as you said but you feel the need to defend this car.
Did I say I was even remotely interested in this thing? The title asks "Why couldn't Acura have designed the NSX like this?" as if the NSX is inferior to this car. To me, the new NSX looks much cleaner and elegant than this Aria which is simply too "Lamboesque" busy with so many slits and slats. And that roof scoop is a hairdryer, I suppose? Really, how many vents, stick-on details, big-ass-wing and color contrasts does one need to be recognized as a legit sport car? The NSX is simply above that, at least the old one is. The new NSX does have its shares of elements that I don't like so I chose a R8 V10 as my "new" NSX instead. Many people don't like the R8 but I love it so "to each his own" and so be it.
Steve

groovy, i can dig what you're saying Sunline. Honda could have done a lot of things differently if they wanted, but they let American designers in America build their car. probably not the best starting point for a Japanese flagship...
I dont know that it would have ended differently had someone in japan styled the car. ultimately japan has to sign off on the car.

It matches the look of other cars that are out right now (flying buttress, large intakes in front of the rear wheels, etc.) just as the original did, only toned down in typical honda fashion.

I dont know that it would have ended differently had someone in japan styled the car. ultimately japan has to sign off on the car.

designed, engineered and manufactured in America, may as well be an American car? that's just really peculiar for a Japanese flagship model.

hard to imagine it wouldn't have come out a lot different...

Japan laid the proportions out. The concept that debuted in 2011 was drawn by a Japanese man I believe so let's not get into that...

If I am not mistaken, I think the engine and transmission were all manufactured in Japan and shipped to the states no? The car ain’t too shabby. Just completely priced wrong. Looks much better than the LFA. But the LFA has the sound department on lock from Yamaha.

Last edited:
If I am not mistaken, I think the engine and transmission were all manufactured in Japan and shipped to the states no? The car ain’t too shabby. Just completely priced wrong. Looks much better than the LFA. But the LFA has the sound department on lock from Yamaha.

The only part of the car that comes from Japan is some of the hybrid system components. About 30% of the parts are from Japan per the window sticker. Engines are Hand Assembled at the Engine Plant in Anna, Ohio.

IMO the LFA is the best looking front engine car ever designed, biased of course. The Lambo Miura a damn close 2nd and maybe the Ferrari Dino a close third. For a all you wackos out there please remember that these are my opinions only and as I am sure, you will certainly disgaree. Just don’t be a dick about it. Eh!

IMO the LFA is the best looking front engine car ever designed, biased of course. The Lambo Miura a damn close 2nd and maybe the Ferrari Dino a close third. For a all you wackos out there please remember that these are my opinions only and as I am sure, you will certainly disgaree. Just don’t be a dick about it. Eh!
I wasn’t being a dick at all. But since you mentioned it the 599 gto is the best looking front engine car on the planet, in my opinion.:wink:

View attachment 149296

If Acura had used a design similar to this without all the tech and kept the price close to 120K I think they would have knocked it out of the park.

I agree with your opinion especially from a marketing and branding standpoint. The car has shown it's worth as far as the market is concerned. The Acura badge cannot readily support a $200k car at present and it will be interesting to see what 2018 will provide in terms of market feedback.

To your point this type of sharp-angled aggressive wedge design (vs. the round bubbly current style) but with perhaps more subtle ground effects (see below), paired with a brand/badge supported price point right out of the gate, it is rather plausible that it would have resulted in not only many more members on this board having one but perhaps sales globally imo.

NSX-shoulda-coulda.jpg

Just mentioning my favorite designs. LFA as my favorite front and the Miura and Dino as mid. La Ferrari is damn sweet as well. As for front engine I would concour that the 599 is pretty nice as is the Astion DBS. Throw in the Datson 240Z as well.

Wow, that car is pretty spectacular, especiall in white. It definitely has sex appeal, similar to the McLaren 570 / 720s.

To be honest, I was not a fan of the new NSX initially, since it didn't drip sex appeal right off the bat like the gen 1 NSXs. But now having seen it up close, owning one, I *love* the way the new NSX looks. It's such a subtle look that just grows on you, I like the fact that it doesn't knock your socks off at the first sight, but sneaks up on you and makes you love it over time.

Both this car and the new NSX are gorgeous, in different ways. Kind of like how some women are striking off the bat but the look may grow old over time, while other more plain looking women become stunningly beautiful over time as you learn to appreciate more of the subtle traits.

It is a golden age of super cars for sure right now. :)

Back