• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

WHY did you buy....

What prompted your first exotic purchase???

Im curious about everyone else's motivations. here's my experience.

id always thought an exotic was pretty cool as a kid, but never really thought id have one. didnt think i wouldnt have one either--just didnt know.

so im sitting in a rover/mercedes/porsche dealership one day, waiting for my rover to get finished up. I start talking to this guy about vehicles, and find out he'd just bought and finished up a vintage porsche that was set up to race. he's talking about the cost, not too bad, and how much fun it was.

now id always run dirt bikes hard as a kid, and enjoyed pushing the limit. and id hotrodded dad's beater ford pickup pretty good too.

so the seed was planted, i cant get the idea out of my head. here i was, 34, kid on the way, and i'm thinking 'i could do this, why couldnt i do this'. just gotta find the right deal--not gonna do more than 30ksomething, and i can do this. bikes are fun but im getting too old for that and ive got gonna have kids and bikes are too dangerous(i know from experience).

after a lot of research, i find the nsx. it meets all the requirements--cheap to maintain and reliable. very fast/trackable, definately an exotic/interesting, and inexpensive to buy if you buy an earlier model. I really could RACE if I want to.

voila, here i am. Havent had the time due to family to race/track yet, but now i can, very soon.

how bout you???

I had wanted an NSX since the first time I ever saw one in person (circa 1991, and I was a sophomore in high school).

When I first found a Sebring NSX for sale in my area, I took my chance
smile.gif

Originally posted by huckster:
What prompted your first exotic purchase???

Since I was a kid, exotic cars had always materialize for me the quintessence of cars.

Cars that stir passion and shine in every aspect:

beauty, performance, thrill, engine sound, racing technology, desirability, ...and most of all: pure pleasure.

The ultimate in matter of ground transportation for one person or two ( even three since the Mc Laren F1! ).

I always knew that one day I would own an exotic since I am the kind of no compromise person; even more when it's a matter of gratifying myself!

When the NSX first appeared in 1990 I realized that until then no exotic car completely satisfied me and gave me the feeling of perfectly suiting me ( the only other car that inspired me later the same feeling was the Mc Laren F1 ).

This is why the NSX came no 1 in my wish list.

It was the exotic that passionate me most overall:

no 1 for the look with the Diablo and later
with the Mc Laren F1 ( and later the
Campagna T-Rex )

no 1 for its rear design

no 1 for its interior cockpit

no 1 for its engine sound with all recent
Ferrari V8 near followed by Lambo and
Ferrari V12 ( but now I know
considering what I heard in some video
that I might rank on top the Mc Laren's
BMW V12 but I never heard it live... )

no 1 for its ergonomy and driving visibility

no 1 for its seats design and comfort

no 1 for its two sizes wheels design
( another complaining point about the 02
version ... )

no 1 for the
performance/reliability/look/everyday
useness package

no 1 for its technology and all aluminum
design until the Mc Laren F1.

For sure today there is a lot of cars that outperform the NSX but personnaly if an NSX could:

make 0-60 in less than 4 sec,

get a more than 1g skidpad numbers,

achieve top speed over 350 km/h ( over 215 mph )while keeping its great stability,

this car would be...PERFECT!

I just love cars, anything nice I'll stop and take a look, even if I dont drive, KNOWING that when I need to just "go" I can...that does it for me...they say you grow out of it as you get older, but I havent and dont see it happening...I've been modding my cars ever since I got my license.

Originally posted by effer:
Since I was a kid, exotic cars had always materialize for me the quintessence of cars.

Cars that stir passion and shine in every aspect:

beauty, performance, thrill, engine sound, racing technology, desirability, ...and most of all: pure pleasure.

The ultimate in matter of ground transportation for one person or two ( even three since the Mc Laren F1! ).

I always knew that one day I would own an exotic since I am the kind of no compromise person; even more when it's a matter of gratifying myself!

When the NSX first appeared in 1990 I realized that until then no exotic car completely satisfied me and gave me the feeling of perfectly suiting me ( the only other car that inspired me later the same feeling was the Mc Laren F1 ).

This is why the NSX came no 1 in my wish list.

It was the exotic that passionate me most overall:

no 1 for the look with the Diablo and later
with the Mc Laren F1 ( and later the
Campagna T-Rex )

no 1 for its rear design

no 1 for its interior cockpit

no 1 for its engine sound with all recent
Ferrari V8 near followed by Lambo and
Ferrari V12 ( but now I know
considering what I heard in some video
that I might rank on top the Mc Laren's
BMW V12 but I never heard it live... )

no 1 for its ergonomy and driving visibility

no 1 for its seats design and comfort

no 1 for its two sizes wheels design
( another complaining point about the 02
version ... )

no 1 for the
performance/reliability/look/everyday
useness package

no 1 for its technology and all aluminum
design until the Mc Laren F1.

For sure today there is a lot of cars that outperform the NSX but personnaly if an NSX could:

make 0-60 in less than 4 sec,

get a more than 1g skidpad numbers,

achieve top speed over 350 km/h ( over 215 mph )while keeping its great stability,

this car would be...PERFECT!

I can't add anything to that! Pretty much sums up my feelings exactly.
Good Job

------------------
ALL NSX
92 RED/BLACK 5-SPEED

Originally posted by 92NSX:
I can't add anything to that! Pretty much sums up my feelings exactly.
Good Job

Thank you very much 92NSX !!!
smile.gif

Just hoping that guys at Honda share our thoughts!

This leads me to a question for all of you:

Money's no object, what would you choose between a GT500 or GT1 NSX in which we would have keep interior stock ( otherwise we should compare with GTR and LM versions... ) and a Mc Laren F1?

Because we can assume this is the closest to a Mc Laren F1 an NSX can get in terms of performances.

I would give a serious try to the GT500 or GT1 NSX but I suspect that the F1 package would win on the reliability side and the N/A side
smile.gif
and on the every day use side...

I am very curious about those GT500 and GT1 NSXes...

Originally posted by 5inchfatlip:
I just love cars, anything nice I'll stop and take a look, even if I dont drive, KNOWING that when I need to just "go" I can...that does it for me...they say you grow out of it as you get older, but I havent and dont see it happening...I've been modding my cars ever since I got my license.

Ditto big time.
Leonard's think alike, at least in this case.
Len
n9s5x-t

Originally posted by effer:
Thank you very much 92NSX !!!
smile.gif

Because we can assume this is the closest to a Mc Laren F1 an NSX can get in terms of performances.

Even Gerry's NSX would have it butt handed to it by a Mclaren F1. Simply an amazing machine. I would own one over ANY other car if money was no object.

Why did I buy an NSX.

Told my wife I was going to buy a sports car.
Said I was considering:
a Ferrari...she said too expensive.
a Porsche... she said too fast
a Cobra...she said too noisy
a Honda...she said fine go ahead dear.
On payment of a small royalty anybody is welcome to use this line to buy a NSX when having to overcome opposition from a significant other in purchasing an Exotic Sports Car.

[This message has been edited by Lionel W (edited 04 November 2002).]

From the moment I first saw concept pics of the NSX in a car mag, I knew I'd eventaully own one. But considering that I was just in high school at that time, I never would have guessed that I'd be able to purchase my dream car new just a decade later.

Actually, the NSX isn't a hard car to justify...exotic looks and performance, excellent street driveability and comfort, Honda reliability and engineering, and a price much more affordable than the cheapest Ferrari.

I didn't buy my NSX because I wanted an exotic. I wanted the NSX because it was the NSX. The car fit my personality. I never considered what others would think of my purchase. I had my mind set on owning a NSX since day one (and the 3.2L Targa since they were introduced in '97) and I made smart decisions over the years to ensure that it could and would happen. Remember, I never bought a single car for myself until I walked into the Acura dealership in March of 2000.

If you're going to test the waters of owning an exotic sports car, I can't imagine a more ideal point of entry(though I should add it has certainly raised my expectations of what owning an exotic car SHOULD be). Having joined the supercar owning elite, I must admit that I'm now far more open to the idea of purchasing from the next tier of expensive exotics than I was in my pre-NSX days. That said I am still not 100% certain I will ever own the likes of a Ferrari. The cost of entry AND maintaining one remains beyond what I can justify (or afford). It may happen...just not any day soon. And if it does, it will be an addition and not a replacement.

I should also add that tracking the NSX wasn't initially part of my dream (I had not participated in any form of racing until tasting shifter-karts just months before taking the plunge on my NSX), but the more I participate in spirited drives the more I want to open her up on a track. Sure I was into racing NSXs in Gran Turismo on PlayStation, but I never thought I'd actually compete in my real NSX. Of course, I've only attended one autocross and yet to have any track days...but you know that will eventually change!
biggrin.gif

------------------
--akira3D
'00 Acura NSX-T (red/black), '97 Honda Civic HX (black), '01 Lexus IS300 (black/black)
"Reality is better than the dream..."

akira3d.com/nsx

[This message has been edited by akira3d (edited 05 November 2002).]

Actually, getting a car just to play around in wasn't something I took to heart. Before my wife and kids became the love of my life it was trying to get my way into sometype of proffesional racing. Tried many years spending as much as I could afford on the addiction with good results, but. If you don't have the major bucks to do what it takes you can just about forget it. The bug never left me totally and now that i'm more financially able to afford some of those desires that were with me some 10+ years ago I checked out getting into racing again. Better judgement over came my desires and I started checking out some unique cars, which of course was good news to the wife. As a multi-Acura owner I knew about the NSX and the rest is history. The car speaks for itself and like Akira I would also considered taking the next level up. We'll see what happens.

PS The next level is waiting for Acura to make the next GenNSX w/whats needed and what we all want. You hear that Acura ?

hey tom, drop me a line, havent talked to you in awhile.

thanks for all the responses. I just think it is interesting how/why we jumped into owning an exotic. It is obviously(though we may say otherwise) a want and not a need, and something most people dont do even if they can afford it.

like tom, i always wanted to race, only you got to do it you lucky dog. due to priorities i havent got to do that yet, but really wanting to.

wouldnt it be fantastic if some of us here wanted to contribute towards a competitive nsx??? it would be nice to see more nsx's out there racing.

anyway, lets hear from the rest of you--why'd/how you buy an exotic???

anyway, lets hear from the rest of you--why'd/how you buy an exotic???[/B][/QUOTE]

I bought the NSX because I fell in love with it the first time I saw it on a car magazine back in 1991 when I was in junior high. I always liked the mid engine layout of a car. I own 2 turbo mr2 and everytime i drive the mr2 I would day dream that i'm in an NSX. The NSX is just a gratifying car to drive it gives you that race car feel, and if you take it on a long road trip it feels very secure.

Back