• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Why I bought a Lotus Esprit.

The last 33 made were signed by the engine builder and a plaque placed on the engine. If Honda did this, and it was the same exact name I would have bought another NSX. However, as it turns out the name on the engine is somewhat special. The gentleman who built it has the same name as my son. :biggrin: Here is a picture.

20140411_144302_1.jpg

You know that you and your son could have built a C30A/C32B and gotten a custom engraved plate with your names on it for less than that. :biggrin:

Congrats. More pictures!!!!!

You know that you and your son could have built a C30A/C32B and gotten a custom engraved plate with your names on it for less than that. :biggrin:

Congrats. More pictures!!!!!

Tough to do when my son is only 18mo old. :biggrin:

The last 33 made were signed by the engine builder and a plaque placed on the engine. If Honda did this, and it was the same exact name I would have bought another NSX. However, as it turns out the name on the engine is somewhat special. The gentleman who built it has the same name as my son. :biggrin: Here is a picture.

View attachment 111691

A friend of mine up here on the west side of Jacksonville has a very nice yellow FE. He also tracks a Europa in Gold Leaf colors. You might know him since he goes to most of the annual LOG events. I have had two Esprits myself (both Turbo 4 cyl.), an '86 and a '93 1/2.

That's cool. Good luck and enjoy the car. You are braver than me. :wink:

I wanted an esprit for so long. I was just afraid of the dependability issues. Still want one, but have been spoiled by the Honda-like maintenance of the NSX. Do you do much maintenance on your Esprit or do you use a dealer?

I wanted an esprit for so long. I was just afraid of the dependability issues. Still want one, but have been spoiled by the Honda-like maintenance of the NSX. Do you do much maintenance on your Esprit or do you use a dealer?

I just got the car two weeks ago and it's been at my mechanic for a check over and some basic maintenence. I used to do most of the easy maintenance on my NSX like brakes and oil, however, just getting the Esprit up on jack stands is a royal PITA. I've always used independent mechanics who were factory trained, and fortunately down here in S. Florida we have a lot of them at our disposal. I will never take this car to a stealership. The stealership that did the major service 3.5 years ago took a few shortcuts that are now being repaired. They did a $hitty job replacing the belts and cam seals, and left many bolts loose according to my mechanic.

I too was afraid of the dependability of these cars, so that is why I bought the newest one I could find. I happened to get the 4th to last Esprit ever built and it has 26k miles on it. These cars are better with a few miles on them. If they sit for too long seals and all other sorts of $hit starts to go bad. Now that my car is sorted out I'm going to drive it on the weekends. I'll report back in a few weeks how the compares to the NSX. Having owned an NSX for 14 years, it's going to be a tough task to replace all those fond memories.

I will subscribe to this thread for the updates. I would love to own one without fear. Beautiful car. Best of luck.

Oh by the way, I am in S. Florida too, if you can recommend any mechanics for the NSX that would be awesome.

Thanks.

I used to have some crazy lust for the esprit before the NSX stole my attention. Ok I still want one :)

The Esprit has always been one of those "possibilities" however, fear of reliability and maint. caused me to never pull the trigger.
I am certainly curious to read your feedback in the coming months. :)

DocL,

There is a group of Lotus owners from Florida going to the Mitty in Atlanta next weekend. Some are traveling together. The group will meet for lunch and then over to Lotus Cars USA for a tour and meet up with Arnie and the gang. Arnie Johnson is the CEO of LCU and arguably knows more about the mechanics of the Esprit than anyone else in the country. He has been associated with Lotus for many years and can tell you many stories. If you think you might be interested in going just PM me. Note: you won't be the only final edition Esprit going up if you decide to go.

Cheers,

Steve W.

I will subscribe to this thread for the updates. I would love to own one without fear. Beautiful car. Best of luck.

Oh by the way, I am in S. Florida too, if you can recommend any mechanics for the NSX that would be awesome.

Thanks.

NSX mechs in Tampa?? my NSX SHOP is in tampa LOL

Hey Shawn, you were spot on with the fix for the tail lights being the ground in the trunk. It fixed the brake sensor dummy light problem too! Kudos! What services do you offer at your shop for the NSX?

Back