• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Why is there so much wood for a Zanardi? It's really nothing special

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/General/modelinfo/zanardi.htm

Production: 50 units -- each with a numbered Alex Zanardi signature plaque
149 pound weight reduction from NSX-T
Front & rear shock absorber rebound rates increased 99% and 31%, respectively
Front & rear shock absorber compression rates increased 72% and 50%, respectively
Front & rear spring rates increased by 103% and 32%, respectively
Stiffer, larger diameter rear stabilizer bar with thicker tube wall Alex Zanardi Edition: 0.75 inch diameter, 0.11 inch wall thickness NSX-T: 0.68 inch diameter, 0.09 inch wall thickness
Overall height reduced by 0.4 inch
Front roll center height reduced by 0.6 inch
Rear roll center height reduced by 0.3 inch

The 91-92 NSX should have a lighter platform since it has only the driver-side airbag
91-94 NSX have hardtop and no power steering

Amazing how people fall for the Zanardi edition when the entire NSX line is more like the Senna edition.

Only the following highlighted in bold are what makes it "special":

Manual rack-and-pinion steering (Electric Power Steering deleted) - 32
Firmer, racetrack-tuned suspension + 0.9
Lightweight BBS alloy wheels - 8.8

Lightweight rear spoiler - 3.7
Lightweight battery - 6.8
Single partition glass - 4.2
Fixed hard-top roof - 95

x2
I dont even like the way the zanardi wheels look, or understand why there is so much "wood" either!

I would rather buy my own and turn it into "prada" edition or [insert name here] version. Nothing better than something the way YOU want it. Its not like that version has anything we cant customize ourselves. I guess its just the rareness factor.

Well the Zanardi edition is basically a USDM NSX type S. It also is hardtop with a 6 speed trans and 3.2 engine with all the chassis reinforcements of the targa but without the targa's flex and weight penalty.

The NSX is a collectible car as it is already, but the Zanardi is just THAT much more collectible. The performance is great, but the upgrades in performance isn't what drives up the market price. It's the idea that you own one of the most collectible cars in the market.

The people who often drive their NSX's (as it should) probably could care less. But to a collector, the Zanardi NSX might be priceless.

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/General/modelinfo/zanardi.htm

Production: 50 units -- each with a numbered Alex Zanardi signature plaque
149 pound weight reduction from NSX-T
Front & rear shock absorber rebound rates increased 99% and 31%, respectively
Front & rear shock absorber compression rates increased 72% and 50%, respectively
Front & rear spring rates increased by 103% and 32%, respectively
Stiffer, larger diameter rear stabilizer bar with thicker tube wall Alex Zanardi Edition: 0.75 inch diameter, 0.11 inch wall thickness NSX-T: 0.68 inch diameter, 0.09 inch wall thickness
Overall height reduced by 0.4 inch
Front roll center height reduced by 0.6 inch
Rear roll center height reduced by 0.3 inch

The 91-92 NSX should have a lighter platform since it has only the driver-side airbag
91-94 NSX have hardtop and no power steering

Amazing how people fall for the Zanardi edition when the entire NSX line is more like the Senna edition.

Only the following highlighted in bold are what makes it "special":

Manual rack-and-pinion steering (Electric Power Steering deleted) - 32
Firmer, racetrack-tuned suspension + 0.9
Lightweight BBS alloy wheels - 8.8

Lightweight rear spoiler - 3.7
Lightweight battery - 6.8
Single partition glass - 4.2
Fixed hard-top roof - 95

My '92 with full NSX-R suspension will easily outhandle the Zanardi.

Am I the only one who likes the Zanardi wheels? I mean, they don't look as in-place as the 94-01 wheels, but they're still good.

You pay a premium for exclusivity. What's exclusive -> people decide. A car is worth what a buyer is willing to pay for, not what the seller is asking.

I think they're worth a premium as they're coupes in a world of targas.

What would you think a real NSX-R would be anounced for if Honda would have imported a LHD in the US. I think there would be some people crazy about it like in Japan.

Its because you get almost all of the the NA2 and later model benefits, with none of the downsides, and better track suspension, all wrapped up in a limited edition model, making it uber, uber rare.

Just the fact that it is an NA2 coupe with the targa reinforced body alone makes it super desirable.

Edit:
Hmm, s14_tat already mentioned all of this.

Last edited:
So how many of you have actually driven one?

I have.

The owner was with me so i didn't hammer it. it really didn't feel special compared to the regular ones as well as the modified ones.

compared to my NSX it was a joke.

- - - Updated - - -

What the Zanardi should have done was to offer the same Recaros as in the jdm model.

The reason I bought one is that I wanted a coupe body + NA2 engine, brakes, and drivetrain. I absolutely did not want a targa top. As people have mentioned, the 1997+ coupe has the targa gussets and strengthening that make it more rigid than the 91-94 coupes. This alone makes it desirable to me. It is not something you can add without great expense and risk.

But I totally agree that they should have offered the Recaros. I should have asked the Zanardi product planner why they didn't as I met him once--he's my uncle's neighbor. But I would suspect it has to do with crash testing and safety regulations. I'm pretty sure each airbag/seatbelt/seat combination has to be crash tested and certified as an integrated system. You can't change them once they are set.

Last edited:
If you compare Apples to Oranges sure it is a joke.

Compare a Zanardi or any NA2 Coupe (not many) for that matter, and there is NO comparision. It is a significant step up in all areas.

JMO, after driving too many to count;).

Regards,
LarryB

......But I totally agree that they should have offered the Recaros. I should have asked the Zanardi product planner why they didn't as I met him once--he's my uncle's neighbor. But I would suspect it has to do with crash testing and safety regulations. I'm pretty sure each airbag/seatbelt/seat combination has to be crash tested and certified as an integrated system. You can't change them once they are set.

I've never heard of the combination has to be tested as an integrated system. recaros has a history of making solid and safe seats. best in the industry imho.

As a marketing ploy, the Zanardi could have gone a few steps further and really created some buzz, but Honda kept it simple for their own reasons, I suppose.

If you compare Apples to Oranges sure it is a joke.

Compare a Zanardi or any NA2 Coupe (not many) for that matter, and there is NO comparision. It is a significant step up in all areas.

JMO, after driving too many to count;).
Regards,
LarryB

Aww Larry, you can't count to 50? :wink:

I've never heard of the combination has to be tested as an integrated system. recaros has a history of making solid and safe seats. best in the industry imho.

I believe I read this in an article on why GM sticks with the same seats if possible for years--it's expensive to make a new seat, then test it. I don't know if it is by law, but as a company, it would make sense they need to document that they tested it for each car and airbag and seatbelt. The human body is floppy and you are trying to contain and control it with all these parts. It can go in many different directions.

Last edited:
Back