• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Why spend that much for your NSX?

as spoken by a member here on nsx prime

originally posted by supratt
don't buy an nsx. If you question the value of an "old car" you're not in love with it.

+1!!!

I have been asked and asked myself this question repeatedly since buying an NSX and the answer is always the same.

Special cars like the NSX are what they are not because they offer the best performance, best value, or newest features.

The NSX is special to me because of the feeling it delivers and the sensation it provides. That is where the newer/faster/better cars fall short. Horsepower/luxuries/technology are all great things, but only appeal to me when they heighten the experience of driving the car.

Truly great cars don't ever need to have the best numbers in anything, because those numbers will be below-par in no time.

Look at 993 Porsches vs 996 Porsches for another example.

The NSX is special to me because of the feeling it delivers and the sensation it provides. That is where the newer/faster/better cars fall short. Horsepower/luxuries/technology are all great things, but only appeal to me when they heighten the experience of driving the car.

Correct. It satisfies not only the senses, but stirs the soul.

as spoken by a member here on nsx prime
Originally Posted by SupraTT
Don't buy an NSX. If you question the value of an "old car" you're not in love with it.

Love can be blind and stupid, but it doesn't have to be.

The problem with this argument is that it implies that no other cars within the price range of the NSX can offer that experience which is simply false. Again, the NSX is a great car in all aspects, but there are now cars that give you the same or better experience PLUS more. I was trying to figure out how some owners reasoned through this and STILL ended up with the NSX.

Love can be blind and stupid, but it doesn't have to be.

The problem with this argument is that it implies that no other cars within the price range of the NSX can offer that experience which is simply false. Again, the NSX is a great car in all aspects, but there are now cars that give you the same or better experience PLUS more. I was trying to figure out how some owners reasoned through this and STILL ended up with the NSX.

as always there will be haters but at the end of the day as long as one enjoys the car and can justify the purchase then so be it...this thread is getting into a debate that just doesnt go anywhere..this is nsxprime and people on here are here for a reason cause they can appreciate the nsx plain and simple

i wouldnt call him a hater and i would argue that he does appreciate the nsx based on his posts; i simply think he's trying to figure out whats best value for his money (based on his standards)

as always there will be haters but at the end of the day as long as one enjoys the car and can justify the purchase then so be it...this thread is getting into a debate that just doesnt go anywhere..this is nsxprime and people on here are here for a reason cause they can appreciate the nsx plain and simple

i wouldnt call him a hater and i would argue that he does appreciate the nsx based on his posts; i simply think he's trying to figure out whats best value for his money (based on his standards)

true say okay hes not a hater just someone with higher standards then the average nsx prime member

i would argue that the answers may be

- childhood dream (likely one of the biggest factors)
- for the money it is one of the sexiest cars on the road with minor modifications (subjective)
- driving experience for the money (ie. older 90s nsx with 100k miles sells roughly for 25 grand; what other car for 25 grand old/new can offer that same overall experience. ive heard this argument from a few on prime)

however when it comes to the newer nsx's going for 50-60k;i would say that there starts bringing in more compelling + competitive options. to own an nsx you simply have to accept the idea that it depreciates VERY differently from normal cars.

of course other major practical factors affecting your decision may be the cars age, milage, potential maintenance issues etc etc etc. these factors will likely be amplified (in a bad way) by the time you are ready to purchase an nsx since it's still roughly half a decade away.

Last edited:
spvang...don't let going from Mr. to Dr. change who you are. It does happen..I have seen it.

The car hasn't changed maybe you have.

Just my 2 pennys worth

Hmmmm...I'm not quite sure where all these personal attacks came from. I know that this is the NSX forum, but I thought I made it clear that:

(1) I love the NSX
(2) I intend to buy one to fulfill my dream of owning one

I am a hater because I didn't profess that the NSX is the best car ever? I question the value of the most expensive NSX's and my character (and profession) is judged? I will assume that the bad apples have found my thread and leave it at that. This is the internet after all.

myw - You are absolutely correct. I agree that at the lower end of the cost spectrum ($35k and less), the NSX is a phenomenal deal and nothing compares to it as a package. It's the $50k+ NSX's that I wonder if they are worth it, and if yes, how did owners come to that conclusion.

I was 20 when the NSX came out in 1991. I told myself one day I will have a NSX. I got my 1995 NSX - January 2011. It maybe not the fastest car on the market today - but it still turns heads wherever I go. This was my childhood dream and now I have it. Clean NSX's are rare. When you get your MD and park your NSX in the physicians parking - you will get more compliments that the other doctor's mercedes and bmw's. NSX is a classic car - I will never sell my NSX. Dont be one of those doctors who just lease cars just to impress.

It is your money, not theirs. If you want to fulfill your dream, buy it. After all, it is just a material and money can be made. You live only once.

Otherwise, there are tons of other cars out there.

It's the $50k+ NSX's that I wonder if they are worth it, and if yes, how did owners come to that conclusion.

You should drive a 91-96/5spd and also drive an 97-05/6spd

Not saying one is better than the other, just that you should compare them firsthand to guide your decision.

Worth it. hmm.. that supposes that your idea of worth and others ideas would be based on the same criteria, which is likely not the case.
Some guys want a certain color, year, low vin range, etc
Others just want a super clean well-kept garage queen
Others want the cheapest point of entry to ownership, period
Others want a turn-key race car
-
Either way, you'll know the one you want when you see it.
-

Another example is an air cooled P car. In original shape a seller can ask what he wants, and get it. Low HP compared to today's cars, but it is now a collector car, so logic goes out the window....

Honda never made very many, and they are not making any more either, so nice original NSX's will become scarce.

Exactly...I've made money on all of the NSX's I owned of past so to the OP you are really renting the NSX.

<<<<<< My Porsche 911 (1998 - 993 C4S one of 3,147 made) has actually appreciated in the year I have owned it so far!!!

Just do a search and see topics regret owners who sold their NSX in general, he returned to the NSX:smile:

Thats my problem, I want another exotic but I know for 50 to 70k is going to be hard.
My 03 is for sale but im afraid to sell it because if I sell and decide to come back for the 7th time I know im going to pay a super premium to become an owner again not to mention the hell im going to catch from the better half. She thinks these cars are overpriced if you only own one to look at it sit in a garage.

I'm at the point where obtaining an NSX is no longer just a dream, but can become reality. However, in today's high-end sport car market, I find it extremely hard to justify buying my dream NSX (2002+ or Zanardi ed.). For $50-70k, my head says a used GTR, 911, Cayman, Evora, etc. are a much better bargain.

3 letters. TCO.
A car doesn't 'cost' what you pay for it on day 1.
A car costs the difference between what you sell it for after X years, minus what you paid for it, minus repairs.

There's a BIG difference in the TCO of a $50,000 NSX and a $50,000 911 or GTR. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a 50% difference.

Hmmmm...I'm not quite sure where all these personal attacks came from.

It's the $50k+ NSX's that I wonder if they are worth it, and if yes, how did owners come to that conclusion.

I am not sure why you are getting personal attacks either but your title is definitely not going to win you any friends here. You could have phrased it better as not to cause people to get defensive. You have to remember that we have already parted with our money so we are committed and the title is questioning the intelligence of our purchase. Personally I would make mine again in a heart beat but that is just me.

As for the 50k+ NSX's it comes down to supply and demand. I would argue that there are only ~1500 50k+ NSX's in the US. I would also argue that there are more than 1500 passionate NSX owners that want these newer cars. I believe the newer cars will stay above $50k because some of those with older NSXs will want to buy newer cars.

It is hard to justify the logic behind a classic car purchase. It's a gut feeling.

it's depressing to think that at the same price, a Cayman S/R can smash the NSX and look good doing it!

Then you should buy one of those, but when you look at real numbers, the Cayman S is not any faster than a 97 NSX. In fact, the new Porsche Boxster S isn't any faster than a 97 NSX and thats with the PDK. With a manual its probably slower.

But if you are basing your decision on which car is faster, you should buy something else and not the NSX.

Last edited:
Do you want to know how much I have spent on repairs and maintenance of my NSX over the last 5 years? About $375 on Mobil 1 oil changes. Repairs? $0. My insurance barely costs more than my element. Taxes are negligible.

The money I would have spent on any other exotic or semi exotic in terms of maintenance costs, repairs, insurance, taxes, and depreciation, I bought mods with. As my car sits, it will absolutely tool the cars you are calling "faster" around a track. And it won't break doing it. It'll still be more rare and be better looking, and even look newer and more modern than most. This is all if you don't consider the fun factor of driving a supercharged na2 nsx on KW's and stoptechs.

When it's time to sell I will part out my mods, put the car to stock, and probably recover 80-90% of my original investment.

It is just UNHEARD OF. That is the answer to the "why". You just can't go wrong with this car as far as I am concerned.

To answer your question it would be based on your preference of other factors besides the driving experience/performance. Which vehicle do you like the styling more? Which one do you feel more comfortable sitting in? Is there a color in one that you want that the other doesn't offer? If you plan to mod it, which car has more aftermarket support? Also maintenance cost? Is this a dream car for you? Rarity? There are a lot of things that can help sway you in different directions.

One thing that I think is unique to the NSX is that not many other cars can boast is that it fit in with so many different classifications. If you choose so the NSX could be fit right in with the tuner/jdm scene, the supercar/exotic scene, the classic car scene (for older models), etc. It's a very well rounded car never really out of place anywhere in regards to that.

One thing that I think is unique to the NSX is that not many other cars can boast is that it fit in with so many different classifications. If you choose so the NSX could be fit right in with the tuner/jdm scene, the supercar/exotic scene, the classic car scene (for older models), etc. It's a very well rounded car never really out of place anywhere in regards to that.

Bingo. As a car enthusiast, but also someone who works and travels a lot and doesn't have time or money or space for five different cars, it sure checks off a lot of boxes in one compact package.

Think about it this way... How many different kinds of people get excited when they see an NSX out and about vs. any of the other cars you're considering?

See but that experience is 100% subjective. I have not experienced a car that, in that similar $30-50k range that is better IMO.

One could make a case for a 911, Cayman, z06, Exige, M3, etc... but not IMO.

Back