• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Wich NSX look do you like most?

Which NSX look do you prefer?

• original look ( pre '02 )

Votes: 82 50.6%
  • '02 look

Votes: 19 11.7%
  • new HSC concept look

Votes: 61 37.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You guys calling the HSC a bastardized copy of so many other cars and therefore "not a timeless design" are either far too attached to the 91-01 look and were hoping it would basically never be replaced, or are not seeing the bigger picture of design.

EVERY design is going to be derivative since aerodynamics are a driving force behind automotive styling. The 91-01 NSX "borrowed" plenty of styling cues from great autos that had come before and plenty of autos following it "borrowed" the NSX styling.

There is just no way anyone can seriously say that ANY car design is totally unique.

Personally, I think there is an audience of hardcore enthusiast that will just never like a new model because they have way too much invested in the existing one. Especially in a case like the NSX where the old model has become so inexpensive, but yet looks so similar to even the 01, that a ton of folks have gotten access to it who will not be able to get near the new one.

It's very telling that this new NSX is actually getting a warmer reception OUTSIDE our forum! LOL And keep in mind that traditionally our complaint is that the NSX gets no respect, so it's not as if these "outsiders" wouldnt love to slam the new design.

Based on the poll and the feedback on other forums, I think Honda is on just the right track! How many people here actually ponied up and paid the full $90k for the "timeless original"? I think, given the miniscule NSX sales since 93, Honda needs to reel in NEW owners. As a result, I think current NSX owner polls will not mean nearly as much to them as non-NSX owner polls!

Personally, as someone who actually has an 03, I love the HSC and would trade the 03 for it if it were available in 06.

Last edited:
effer said:
Yes I love them. Oval tips are great and original.

I do prefer the original rear end because it gives a better illusion of a WIDE and LOW car compared to the '02 one.

:)

Very interesting perspective. I like the 02 rear end for those same reasons. Too me it looks more meatier and wide compared to the 91-01. Same with the new 02+ side skirts. It makes the car look more wide and low and kind of tougher IMHO. Again, all individual perspective and taste;)

ChrisK said:
Very interesting perspective. I like the 02 rear end for those same reasons. Too me it looks more meatier and wide compared to the 91-01. Same with the new 02+ side skirts. It makes the car look more wide and low and kind of tougher IMHO. Again, all individual perspective and taste;)

Having owned a 98 and currently owning an 03, I can say that I really don't see how the 91-01 can be perceived as appearing wider and lower and I agree with the above that the new rear and new sideskirts make the 02 look lower and wider.

Unscientifically, but tellingly, comments from my friends have ranged from "you bought the same car in a different color" to, "wow, the new one looks ever lower and a lot wider!". I have *never* had someone tell me that the new one looks narrower and taller!

The plot thickens, but there is much waiting to go

Good comments, Spooky. Most I've talked to that are exotic but not NSX owners love the design.

As for car designs being unique, I could throw out a couple models that defy that statement. How about the E-Type? Lagonda? Caterham? And yes, even the Beetle. :)

Honda needs new blood, and lots of it, to get some return on their investment. To do that, they have to succumb (more) to what buyers want. Its going to be exciting to see what they do!

I am also a member of an italian forum where there are a lot of Ferrari, high-end Porsche (TT, GT2 and GT3), Noble, Lotus and TVR owners (I am the only NSX owner there and there are three Noble GTO, talk about strange proportions... ;) ).

THEY REALLY LOVE THE NEW DESIGN and at the same time they think that the '91-'03 is only "cool"... kind of a Corvette C5 coolness. But the new one is on level with the Modena and only slightly below the 355 design level... and they are mostly Italians (biased toward Ferrari) :D .

02 look!

02 The best looking nsx ever built i think.

spookyp said:
I really don't see how the 91-01 can be perceived as appearing wider and lower and I agree with the above that the new rear and new sideskirts make the 02 look lower and wider.

Let me clarify my point of view! :)

The new tail ( I mean '02 ) is having more parts with the same colour of body hence giving a taller aspect hence narrowing overall look.

The original tail looks wider IMO because of the black part between muffler tips so you only see a wide bumper with tail lights and spoiler thus magnifying the wideness of car's tail.

That black part is kind of vanishing with shadow and tarmac...

Hope I succeed in explaining my perception!

:)

Look it that way for fun!

Interesting that for different reasons we think that our respective tail design looks wider than the other! :) :)

Sorry but I cant vote one way or the other simply because I agree that the older version NSX (the one I have) is missing just that little something...Hence why I added the JGTC like body kit (that isn't quite complete yet:rolleyes: )

The '02 NSX looks nice however it still is lacking in the same manner as the older version IMO.

The new HSC now has some nice styling cues the OG NSX should have had however it lacks the refined lines that the OG NSX had.

So, my solution is. Keep the front and rear ends of the HSC, with the side design of the OG NSX (with a little more aggressiveness) to accent the radical look of the reat. Plus, the rear hatch needs to extend a little more. Aaaah, yeah baby....now shes looking good.

But...If I had to vote....it will be My car (when I am done with her, though all that is left is the yokota front fenders and the Taitec rear quarters)

i dont like any of the nsx's in original form when its modified (aesthetic wise) its a beauty to behold. Everything can be improved. The older nsx rears look unfinshed in my opinion, the 2002+ is very well conceived.

Bladesnsx: you have the same taste i do check out my nsx bodykit parts ;) and im not finished :D

ajnsx said:
i dont like any of the nsx's in original form when its modified (aesthetic wise) its a beauty to behold. Everything can be improved. The older nsx rears look unfinshed in my opinion, the 2002+ is very well conceived.

LOL... AJ, you've just been in Japan too long. They always modify their cars -- isn't that why honda's philosophy is simplicity of design??? :D

I picked the HSC. I like the front and rear design of the car. My only beef is the side profile. The line from front to rear just doesn't belong to the rest of the car.

I love the original body style like an old pair of comfortable shoes. But if I have say $150k disposible cash in the pocket and being ask to pick one of the 3 cars, I'd pick the HSC without a doubt. But if I had that kind of disposible cash, I'd definitely keep my 91 also.

LOL... AJ, you've just been in Japan too long. They always modify their cars -- isn't that why honda's philosophy is simplicity of design???

I was like this before i got here Neo! http://drive.to/aaron-scrx

Now im here, its probably going to get better (or worse depending on who you are ;)) These types of influences dont help http://www.x-5.jp :eek:

My step father and father were both customising cars back in the day its in my blood 70's/80's sci fi movies/tv has definitely influenced me though :D

Tony Montoya said:
Am I the only one who likes the 91 wheels?

Nay! I do like them, but in real most of the time, because on picture 9 times on ten, the '94 seven spoke wheels look better .

Of course I have switched now for the OEM 16-17 wheels but I can't say that I don't like the '91 wheels! :)

With everyone talking about bringing the HSC to market instead of this "New Advanced sport car", I thought I remind everyone the survey results regarding the HSC. Majority prefer the look of the original NSX over the HSC.

Honda has some more styling work to do on the HSC. It looks good, just not as good as the Pre-02 NSX.

I hope the HSC does undergo styling updates and goes to into production for NSX owners who doesn't care for the new Acura formula of a 3500+ lbs, V10, Front engine "sports car".

(I am the only NSX owner there and there are three Noble GTO, talk about strange proportions... ;) ).

There is more Nobles and TVR than NSX where I live.:smile:

Cheers,

AR

This thread is great! It just goes to show that people who have the 91-01 will never be happy with anything else...LoL:wink:

This thread is great! It just goes to show that people who have the 91-01 will never be happy with anything else...LoL:wink:

The 91-01 owners feeling this way is a testament of the timeless beauty of the original design. Don’t blame the owners for feeling this way. Credit the designers for creating such a beauty. It is beauty that needs no excuses unlike the ASC

With the 91-01 NSX, you don’t need time to grow to like it. You don’t need to see it in person to like it. You see it in pictures, and you immediately fall in love. After 15 years, you still go to the garage to admire the shape because time does not age this design.

For NSX owners to rejuveante with new romance, Honda needs to stick with the same formula as the original. The HSC is good place to start. Clean up the tail lights, the rear pillar, and the side scoop. Then it is love at first sight all over again. Start the paperwork, where do I sign.

Maybe its time to start a new poll since times have changed and so have peoples choices. I know that the new 02 style has grown on me since I voted and if I were to make a choice now it would be different.

The 91-01 owners feeling this way is a testament of the timeless beauty of the original design. Don’t blame the owners for feeling this way. Credit the designers for creating such a beauty. It is beauty that needs no excuses unlike the ASC

With the 91-01 NSX, you don’t need time to grow to like it. You don’t need to see it in person to like it. You see it in pictures, and you immediately fall in love. After 15 years, you still go to the garage to admire the shape because time does not age this design.

For NSX owners to rejuveante with new romance, Honda needs to stick with the same formula as the original. The HSC is good place to start. Clean up the tail lights, the rear pillar, and the side scoop. Then it is love at first sight all over again. Start the paperwork, where do I sign.

Really not feeling you on this ,but okay. The flip ups really date the car to me. I was never an NSX fan until the 02+ models. It was those models that got me interested in the car. Of course you guys are in the majority so I better not say anymore:biggrin:

Back