• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Will the next NSX be a plug-in?

Internal combustion Engine together with electric motors, is going to change the way "We" think about sports car, power delivery and driving dynamics, I also believe that we are just starting to see the possibilities......Can't wait.

Bram

KERS is the new NOS. power on demand and with a limited supply. Use wisely. Adds a whole new dimension to racing.

I actually find all this electric stuff pretty fascinating and exciting. Imagine instead of old school VTEC having a button that delivers an electrical charge and an extra 100 HP jolt with a meter that shows depletion. Now you have to incorporate that technique and where to use it on the track to improve your lap times. Maybe you won't have a stick shift but now you have to calculate and be engaged with the car as to where to dump power and where to conserve.

It's pretty cool if you ask me.

I completely agree. The benefits are bountiful and efficiency is only going to get better over the years! This is just the beginning and hybrid tech certainly has not peaked yet. People will warm up to the idea with only the minority of purist who will still hang on to old tech.

The biggest difference I think was from the torque vectoring and of course the power boost that helped the 918 set a whole new benchmark, almost 20 second beyond the current competition on that track. That is huge! I think without the 4WD torque vectoring, the times would have been well above 7 minutes.

I wonder if Porsche 918, McLaren P1 and Le Ferrari are with a plug in system.

Heck, I wonder if future Honda IMA cars will be plug ins.

Not going to happen.

I guess "not going to happen" has happened.

Thank you for proving my point Mr. Donk. You only read what you want to see.

This is what I said:

"Heck, I wonder if future Honda IMA cars will be plug ins.

Not going to happen."

The NSX is not going to be, nor will it be a hyper garage queen supercar. With the three European hybrid super cars value at $1 million each and the battery packs and Hybrid system that will cost more than a Nissan GTR, people will need to keep them plugged just to make sure the Battery is fully charged at all time - Since most of these cars will only see sun light maybe once a month for few miles at a time.

The new NSX, unlike these hyper European cars, will be driven often, if not, daily by some. Therefore, plug in is not necessary unless Honda intend to add more weight and price to the car.

None of the current IMA Honda Motors have the plug-in feature, and knowing how Honda conducts their business, they will not make it a plugin for IMA, perhaps different system.

There is a dirty little secret right now about older Hybrid cars. The ratio of older Hybrid cars going to the junk yard is much higher than traditional car as the battery pack cost more to replace than the value of the cars. In fact, the previous generation of Prius are disappearing faster than new one they sell.

Last edited:
Still skeptical about battery weight, future reliability, future battery tech upgrade ability. Also skeptical about power drainage and replenishment. While I like the instant torque of electric motors, I am just not sold. At some point the battery will be drained, what happens then? If the engine is continually charging the batteries, how parasitic will it be? I am very curious on how Honda will overcome these hurdles.

Thank you for proving my point Mr. Donk. You only read what you want to see.

This is what I said:

"Heck, I wonder if future Honda IMA cars will be plug ins.

Not going to happen."

The NSX is not going to be, nor will it be a hyper garage queen supercar. With the three German hybrid super cars value at $1 million each and the battery packs and Hybrid system that will cost more than a Nissan GTR, people will need to keep them plugged just to make sure the Battery is fully charged at all time - Since most of these cars will only see sun light maybe once a month for few miles at a time.

The new NSX, unlike these hyper European cars, will be driven often, if not, daily by some. Therefore, plug in is not necessary unless Honda intend to add more weight and price to the car.

None of the current IMA Honda Motors have the plug-in feature, and knowing how Honda conducts their business, they will not make it a plug in either.

There is a dirty little secret right now about older Hybrid cars. The ratio of older Hybrid cars going to the junk yard is much higher than traditional car as the battery pack cost more to replace than the value of the cars. In fact, the previous generation of Prius are disappearing faster than new one they sell.

Agreed. Again, the Accord hybrid plugin and conventional hybrid pros/cons will chime in. The process of installing a device in your house to charge the batteries is rather invasive and not as simple as plugging it in a socket. The extra weight from larger batteries is not yet efficient enough. Right now plug-ins are inefficient and do not make sense. It would be a mistake for Honda to make the NSX a plug-in if they have a certain power/weight ratio and price factor in mind.

All hybrid and electric cars can run on full electric and are meant primarily for low speed city driving. It does not mean all hybrids are plug-ins, but most are not. Conventional hybrids are designed to run for short periods due to battery capacity, but they have proven to be quite efficient in the city.

On another note, if hybrids are on the rise as far as market volume, there should be a battery recycling program introduced as those batteries are very toxic and volatile. I guess Toyota/Hybrid makers found a way around that 150,000, 10 year warranty for states that follow California's emissions if they really are that expensive to replace or people love to drive if they can break 150K before 10 years.

Last edited:
Agreed. Again, the Accord hybrid plugin and conventional hybrid pros/cons will chime in. The process of installing a device in your house to charge the batteries is rather invasive and not as simple as plugging it in a socket. The extra weight from larger batteries is not yet efficient enough. Right now plug-ins are inefficient and do not make sense. It would be a mistake for Honda to make the NSX a plug-in if they have a certain power/weight ratio and price factor in mind.

All hybrid and electric cars can run on full electric and are meant primarily for low speed city driving. It does not mean all hybrids are plug-ins, but most are not. Conventional hybrids are designed to run for short periods due to battery capacity, but they have proven to be quite efficient in the city.

On another note, if hybrids are on the rise as far as market volume, there should be a battery recycling program introduced as those batteries are very toxic and volatile. I guess Toyota/Hybrid makers found a way around that 150,000, 10 year warranty for states that follow California's emissions if they really are that expensive to replace or people love to drive if they can break 150K before 10 years.

Well plugins work for ppl that don't commute more than twenty miles each way plus companies are starting to offer recharge stations at work. Also note that the earthdreams hybrid tech will be replacing the old IMA tech which was meant to be for much lighter cars and to be relatively inexpensive.

Klaus already said the car will have "silent drive" so at the very least, it is fully capable of driving along on batteries only for some amount. This is already stated, what you guys are kind of arguing about although I don't really read BD's posts.

The question is, will you be able to replenish the batteries via a plug. That makes sense to me and I hope it happens.

2 other things it accomplishes: 1) It gives a more green image no matter what the function, and that is never bad from a marketing standpoint. And 2) with the CAFE standards once again coming up fast, it will raise the NSX's fuel efficiency rating and help Honda in general. I understand NSX sales are limited but if your stocket can say "65MPG" versus "19" which do you prefer? Even if it is some bullshit loophole it still would be preferable.

Last edited:
Klaus already said the car will have "silent drive" so at the very least, it is fully capable of driving along on batteries only for some amount. This is already stated, what you guys are kind of arguing about although I don't really read BD's posts.

The question is, will you be able to replenish the batteries via a plug. That makes sense to me and I hope it happens.

If that is the sole question, then I agree as I said earlier and think they should also add that feature if it does not raise price dramatically and not requiring extra battery space to make the NSX substantially heavier. The compounding issue is usually when a hybrid car has a plug-in option, it will also have larger batteries. Having said that, the smaller/more efficient battery in a conventional hybrid may be able to be charged much faster and may never need a plug-in over night as it would be overkill.

It only takes ~3-4 hours to charge the Accord plug-in from a conventional power supply. It should take less than that for a hybrid with a smaller battery capacity (aka non-plug-in Accord hyrbid) designed to keep curb weight lower and be efficient without the plug-in.

Those front motors are pretty powerful which leads me to believe they need a decent power supply.... and the car is ultra lightweight, all pointing towards the fact that some electric-only capability may not be that far off. Again, Klaus has said there is a silent mode. How do you get a silent mode without full electric propulsion capability? It's a great feature on the 918.

Want to known if the NSX is a plug in? Just wait for the new RLX Hybrid, the two system supposed to the same. So far no one have mentioned the RLX Hybrid being a plug in and it's due very soon.

I was at the Honda dealer today getting an oil change on my CRZ, and I was talking to my friend who is the sales manager there. He said the Accord plugins have not generated any interest and Honda is not expecting to sell many of them. It would have been a smarter move if they create a whole new model line up dedicated to this system, or branch it off from the Insight, similar to the Toyota.

We also talked about the new NSX and share the same sentiment, Honda will be stupid to make the NSX a plug in like the Accord because it requires a much bigger and heavier battery pack; therefore defeats the sporting purpose.

When they say V6 with V8 performance and 4 cylinder economy, they didn't say what kind of 4 cylinder economy. The worse from Honda is the S2k and it gets 22 mpg. I suspect they can achieve 25 to 28 mpg because it is in the same territory as the V6 Accord, and the RLX Hybrid promises 30mpg.

Final note, as far as I know, no one is offering extended warrantee just on the battery, the most crucial part of the car. If you can afford a p1, LeFerrari, or 918, I doubt you'll be sweating about replacing the batter on those cars, but on the NSX, it it's a different story. They can't market a $120k car and the consumer have to replace those battery packs at $10g. It is not Honda.

If they do make this a plug in, they will alienate a lot of buyers.

Last edited:
My newest insider info is the nsx will be similar to the set up of the 918.

The 918 has a motor for the front wheels whereas Honda has two motors at the front wheels. Other than V8 , price and country of origin yep they're similar lol

918 is a very heavy car even with full CF construction.

Quoting Edmunds:

"The Porsche 918 Spyder's weight drops to 3,616 pounds with the Weissach package, which features carbon parts — including roof, rear wings, rearview mirrors and frames of the windshield — and lightweight magnesium wheels. The 918 Spyder features an all-wheel-drive system.

In comparison, the LaFerrari has a curb weight of 3,031 plus fuel, while the McLaren P1 has a curb weight of 3,075."

Like Jeremy Clarkson said about the Carrera GT, they have the technology to make it right, but somehow they didn't.

918 is a very heavy car even with full CF construction.

Quoting Edmunds:

"The Porsche 918 Spyder's weight drops to 3,616 pounds with the Weissach package, which features carbon parts — including roof, rear wings, rearview mirrors and frames of the windshield — and lightweight magnesium wheels. The 918 Spyder features an all-wheel-drive system.

In comparison, the LaFerrari has a curb weight of 3,031 plus fuel, while the McLaren P1 has a curb weight of 3,075."

Like Jeremy Clarkson said about the Carrera GT, they have the technology to make it right, but somehow they didn't.

It's because of the extra duty batteries needed for the 918 to be plug-in and have an extended electric range! If the batteries were smaller and thus the electric rang was much less, then it could have been 3,200 lbs or less. Still very impressive performance for car knocking at 4,000 lbs.

On another note, Edmunds calls the 918 AWD instead of 4WD? I didn't know V8 in thing was transversely mounted??? :redface:

Still, this is a lot of speculation. Rather than assumption I would really like it of someone going to expo asked Klaus what the actual electric operating capability would be. If he can't answer then ask if a plug is 100% ruled out. There is a segment of the population that eco matters to. I know of two people myself FOR SURE that this would make all the difference in the world to. Not worth sacrificing performance for it but we are not engineers and if Klaus can tell us if that is possible or 100% a no-go that would be nice. I hadn't planned on expo but am thinking of flying in without my car just to speak to him. I am very torn right now about whether I want to keep my car and go further with it or stop spending money on it and go into the new car.

What do you think the difference would be between AWD and 4WD?

4WD is for longitudinal mounted engine and AWD is for traverse mounted engines. That is the most concise definition IMO.

- - - Updated - - -

Still, this is a lot of speculation. Rather than assumption I would really like it of someone going to expo asked Klaus what the actual electric operating capability would be. If he can't answer then ask if a plug is 100% ruled out. There is a segment of the population that eco matters to. I know of two people myself FOR SURE that this would make all the difference in the world to. Not worth sacrificing performance for it but we are not engineers and if Klaus can tell us if that is possible or 100% a no-go that would be nice. I hadn't planned on expo but am thinking of flying in without my car just to speak to him. I am very torn right now about whether I want to keep my car and go further with it or stop spending money on it and go into the new car.

I think your progressive personality will desire the fresher, newer car that will eventually have aftermarket following also. It just also happens carries the NSX legacy and boast much more power from the factory.

4WD is for longitudinal mounted engine and AWD is for traverse mounted engines. That is the most concise definition IMO.

Engine direction or position has no bearing on the definitions for 4WD and AWD. Both of these systems are differential systems, and how those differentials apply power to the wheels.

Engine direction or position has no bearing on the definitions for 4WD and AWD. Both of these systems are differential systems, and how those differentials apply power to the wheels.

And if the engine is mounted longitudinally, then the differential shall be configured for a 4WD setup whereas if it's mounted transversely, then the configurations of differentials are AWD. Hence, the 3000GT VR4 and STI are AWD whereas the GTR and Gallardo are 4WD respectively.

Obviously, these hybrid electric motors require no differentials, but still I think the definition and label should be based on engine direction mounted.

And if the engine is mounted longitudinally, then the differential shall be configured for a 4WD setup whereas if it's mounted transversely, then the configurations of differentials are AWD. Hence, the 3000GT VR4 and STI are AWD whereas the GTR and Gallardo are 4WD respectively.

Obviously, these hybrid electric motors require no differentials, but still I think the definition and label should be based on engine direction mounted.

I remain confused
I think the Subaru engine is mounted longitudinally which would make it 4WD but you are calling it AWD
Wikipedia calls the 3000GT VR4 four wheel drive.
Where did your definition come from?

Back