• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Windshield Replacement - OEM Glass No Longer Available.

Another windshield data point.

After reading the windshield stories, I finally decided to have my cracked OEM windshield replaced. Ordered ALL the OEM parts, (not really needed as this glass must have been installed just before OEM glass became unavailable), but wanted them all including the yellow clips.

Removed all panels so all they had to do was R&R the glass. First one was a non starter as it had a deep 1 inch scratch passenger side, Fuyao.

Second glass was good, also Fuyao. Had the VIN cut out, review mirror attachment with correct shading, and correct shading around glass and nice tint, I was happy. But they really struggled with the top molding. Some places laid down fine, others were bumpy, and uneven. Also the gap at both ends went to zero. Pics really don't show it that well. (Yes the car is still filthy from second install)

They are coming to do another, and I ordered the top moldings again. Both Tech and manager at Safelite were very understanding. Manager said Fuyao and XYG were the only ones available, he tried to get a Pilkington. (Thanks to vf2ss for the ratings!)

Any tips or tricks that you have seen during install? Tech was a Master tech and called around to see if someone else had done one before coming out, and couldn't find anyone. I will try to have them call the West Covina branch for advise, just looking to see if anyone else has had issues, as it seems that both upper molding pieces have changed from original, or at least from the last bulletin I had.

Attachments

• Middle.pdf
    14.4 MB · Views: 13
  • Passenger side.pdf
    15.3 MB · Views: 5
  • Driver side.pdf
    16.8 MB · Views: 6
When I removed the old top molding including molding holder, I used a netted dish scrub to wipe off all the old tape/glue so the channel is completely clear and smooth when the new molding is laid down.

When I removed the old top molding including molding holder, I used a netted dish scrub to wipe off all the old tape/glue so the channel is completely clear and smooth when the new molding is laid down.

Just to update this for future windshield R&R.

This should have been easy, it was not.

On the third visit, I suggested, (massive mistake on my part), "Let's just try the top molding again?". They agreed and spent close to 2 hours trying to get it in. In the end, they tried to glue and tape. It was a no go. We both agreed we should have done the glass replacement. Order another top molding.

4th visit, they bring out the new glass. It was XYG, no VIN cut out and no rear view mirror mount, another no go for me. Said they would order another. They searched a couple weeks, and nothing was available but XYG. Hope that changes in the future.

So I decide to take another run at it. Ripped out the bottom molding. Spent three hours cleaning the channel the molding sits in, both the tape and glue from the bottom molding and urethane that had squeezed in when they set the new windshield. Setting the bottom molding with glass in place is a bitch. You get one shot and any mistakes are $100+. Marked out the top area with tape so I had a guide where it should go and had the wife hold molding as I applied an inch at a time while pulling off the tape strip. Hit the new top molding with a rag that had a very light coating of silicone spray, and the same for the bottom channel. The top molding now pushed into place with nothing but my thiumb, no tools, looks perfect.

Moral of the story, that channel has to be completely free of anything so the molding has room to expand. Why this wasn't obvious, to me, the manager and the master tech who originally started the job I don't know. I will blame the Phx heat. I still think the glass is sitting too high as I ran into other issues putting trim back on, but it's done and the glass looks very good.

Hope this helps someone in their future glass replacement. Thanks NSXMan777 for the push to try it my self!

Back