• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

World's first wrecked GTR (R35)?

Jesus...it's huge!

Well, now we know why it weighs so much.

Last time I saw an R34 in person I don't remember thinking it was very small...this thing is going to dwarf an NSX...guess the R8 will look better next to it.

Why is everything getting larger?

Jesus...it's huge!

Well, now we know why it weighs so much.

Last time I saw an R34 in person I don't remember thinking it was very small...this thing is going to dwarf an NSX...guess the R8 will look better next to it.

Why is everything getting larger?

I still prefer the R34 over R35 ... for now at least.

What what exactly is "hand built" in an engine? They don't actually mill/bore the block by hand do they? If so, scary thought.

Is there an industry standard definition of "hand built?"

I doubt it.

One car maker defination would be if the person bolts on a minute component it's hand built while another would define that with more "time" spent with their hands.

Here's a video about the GT-R assembly process-

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Features/articleId=124083

Looks like the hand built portion of the engine build only takes about 3 hours on average, so I don't think anything is actually fabricated during this process.

"Hand built" does sound a little low tech, but I'm sure that during the build process of the GT-R, the only time hands are used is when it is there is a mechanical advantage in doing so. Now with an old school hand built Italian exotic I think "hand built" means more of a 'kit-car' approach.

First aussie GTR on the docks of sydney. all i can say is FAT :D
r35_2.jpg

[/IMG]

I've always thought the R34 was a rather chunky car when seen among sleeker RX-7s and NSXs, but man - this R35 is GI-NORMOUS!

Still, its performance, somewhat useable rear seats, and lack of an NSX replacement anytime soon makes this car among my "next" to buy.

Saw the light silver GTR today at the Silicon Valley Intl. Auto Show in San Jose, CA. Still a bit chunky, but looks MUCH better and surprisingly sleeker to me than in pics. I had to see it for myself because even pics of NSXs and other favorite sports cars don't wow me and often makes them appear boring or (even worse) ugly; it's seeing these cars in person that always excites me more.

The small touches and creases along the body of the car really help reduce the visual weight. Standing alone, the GTR's looks has really grown on me, but that image of the white R35 parked behind an R34 will be hard to shake from memory.

Back