• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Would these wheels fit.....?

I've been looking for some wheels and my front wheels are 17x8. The wheels that I like are only available in 17x8.5. Would that size still fit my wheels? The wheel guy said they would fit, but wouldn't they stick out or anything? Please enlighten me...Thanks!

Originally posted by cali2121:
I've been looking for some wheels and my front wheels are 17x8. The wheels that I like are only available in 17x8.5. Would that size still fit my wheels? The wheel guy said they would fit, but wouldn't they stick out or anything? Please enlighten me...Thanks!

They sound too wide to use for front wheels.

For example, the most commonly-used front tire model and size for 17" wheels is the Bridgestone S-03 in 215/40-17, but that tire is recommended for wheels seven to eight inches wide. If you use too wide a wheel, you are going to be forced to use a bigger tire that is going to rub on your wheel wells and cause problems for your TCS (as well as hurting performance through both weight and gearing).

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 11 February 2003).]

Hi Cali2121
What wheels had you decided on? You mentioned at the meet, but don't recall exactly which ones - was it Racing Harts - or did you find something different?
There are often "look-alike" wheels by various manufacturers, so if you indicate the brand/style, maybe someone can recognze something similar in the ideal sizes?
8.5 x 17 is probably too wide w/o modding or removing the fender wells & then you run the risk of rocks getting thrown up & dinging your freshly painted fenders from the inside!

Hey Ken~
I decided on some Racing Hart M5 Wheels, but it looks like the fronts will be too wide. Do you have any suggestions? I probably want some five spoke wheels with a modest dish and bolts on the outer rim.

Just to clarify, I am not going to change my tires with the Racing Hart Wheels. If the tires remain 17x8 and I put on 17x8.5 wheels, will the wheels still kick up a lot of rocks to affect my fenders, or would the wheels just not fit altogether in the tires with that 0.5 inch difference?

will the wheels still kick up a lot of rocks to affect my fenders, or would the wheels just not fit altogether in the tires with that 0.5 inch difference?

What model and size of tires do you have?

For example, the Bridgestone S-03 tire in the 215/40-17 size is not recommended (by Bridgestone) for wheels wider than eight inches.

I have Yokohama AVS 215/40ZR17 front wheels.

They have several models with the AVS name. I assume you're referring to the AVS ES100 (since that size does not appear to be available in the AVS Sport). The spec sheet for that particular tire size on Yokohama's web site does say that it is approved for a rim width of 7.0 to 8.5 inches.

Eric, there's no reason I can see why you can't get 8 x 17 size - maybe the supplier you were talking to didn't have them available in stock?
Be careful when ordering - its important to get the right offset as well as the correct widths/diameters: better to talk to someone who will match the right offset for the NSX.
Your 215 tires will be too skinny for the 8.5's anyway.
If you are set on the Racing Harts, let me get a quote from Gerry for you on a matched set of 8 x 17 & 10 x 18, specifically for the NSX.
Check out NSXnBRLA's with 7.5/17 & 9.5/18 M5's. here

or CarboyNSX's here - that looks like mine with the WW kit! - you can see how they will look on your red/black but these sizes are 8/18& 10/19.

Ton of similar looking wheels here including a black by len3.8 with RCM5, 8x17 & 9.5/18's;

Happy Hunting!

Ken~
Yea, I called Gerry today and he gave me a quote. I also called America's Tire Co. and they called the factory and found out that they are discontinuing the wheel. They no longer have anymore wheels with 17x8, only two more 17x8.5, so I don't know what to do.

A wider front tire MAY fit, but it might rub.

Do you have a stock ride height, or has your car been lowered ??

The 215-40-17 is OK even with lowered cars, some wider sizes (235-40-17 with the Yoko A032R comes to mind) might RUB on a lowered car.

I would recommend staying away from a discontinued wheel because if you damage it beyond repair, you will be stuck with unsellable wheels. As for widths, it really depends upon the offset as well as tire size. Right now with a 17x8 +35 offset Volk AV3 wheel with 215/40/17 S-02 tire, it rubs ever so slightly when I crank my wheels all the way for a U-turn. The reason is because that size tire is about .7" taller than my stock size. I would suggest you to run a 225/35/17 or 235/35/17 tire on a 8.5" wheel. Then of course you still have to consider the offset as that might also cause some rubbing. Good luck in your decision and hope this info helps.

Sidney

Originally posted by Litespeeds:
Right now with a 17x8 +35 offset Volk AV3 wheel with 215/40/17 S-02 tire, it rubs ever so slightly when I crank my wheels all the way for a U-turn. The reason is because that size tire is about .7" taller than my stock size.

I'll assume you have a '91-93. Your size is about 0.7" greater in outer diameter. This means that, for clearance purposes, it "sticks out" (from the axle) half that much (i.e. 0.35"). That's not much, and in fact, many other owners are using this size without rubbing.

There is another possible reason that can contribute to your rubbing. Your tires are 10 mm wider than stock but your offset is 20 mm less than stock; that means that there is 15 mm more clearance from the inside edge of the tread (20 - .5*10) but 25 mm (a full inch) less clearance on the outside edge of the tread (20 + .5*10). I think your tires rub because your wheels have an offset that is so dramatically different from stock.

NSXTACY,
You are probably correct. I know my front wheels have an offset that pushes the wheels right out to the edge of the fenders without sticking out. I didn't purchase these wheels but rather it came on the car that I bought. The nice thing about having this offset is that I am pretty sure that I can clear larger brake calipers when I decide to do so. I know that offsets are very critical when it comes to clearance, handling, etc. Thanks for your feedback.

Sidney

Originally posted by Litespeeds:
The nice thing about having this offset is that I am pretty sure that I can clear larger brake calipers when I decide to do so. I know that offsets are very critical when it comes to clearance, handling, etc.

Offset refers to how far out the tire mounting surface sticks from the car. It does not necessarily give you any more clearance from the brake calipers, which fit inside the wheel; that depends on the shape of the spokes (as well as the wheel diameter, of course). The fact that your offset makes your wheels stick out from the car gives them more clearance from suspension components which are outside, and behind, the wheel, like the control arms.

Back