• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

XM Radio for my NSX, a few ?'s...

Hey guys, after looking at a Corvette owners XM radio, I've started to look into it. I have a few NSX specific questions: (please excuse my ignorance, I know nothing about the XM radios)

1. I would like the simple type that plugs into your lighter socket. Would I be able to plug it in, close the ash tray/lighter cover and place it outside of ash tray/lighter cover below the radio? I'm curious if the plug would allow room for the ash tray/lighter door to close?

2. From what I understand, with this type of XM radio, you set your radio to a certain station (88.7 or something like that), and then it plays on your stereo with some very minor distortion. Do I have to have my OEM antenna up for this to work properly?

Thanks in advance, and please feel free to drop me some comments or add something I might need to know.
Also, anyone have some suggestions on exactly I should get? Not looking to spend too much. :)
Regards
- Z

1. You won't be able to close the ash-tray door - respectfully, if you think about it, if you look at it in the closed position, it's completely flush.

2. You won't need the regular antenna to be up for the XM system; it needs it's own antenna. So if you have the stock NSX antenna disabled it will make no difference.

These types of system work by using an FM modulator to put the signal directly into the radio via the power line (so the XM radio signal will actually be present on your "live" battery power throughout the car.)
Another way to utlize this capability would be, instead of using the stock ashtray cigarette lighter socket, install another after-market lighter-type socket adapter at the rear of the console. Should be a pretty straight forward DIY if you have the capability to remove the console. Or mount one under dash on a bracket or whatever. These extra scokets are readily available at most parts stores; Autozone, Pepboys etc

While searching however, I found that Blitzsafe makes an adapter that will plug directly into the rear din plug of the Alpine radio giving you RCA inputs so you can use a non-modulated type! Very nice find! That opens up the possibilities for alternative XM radio products & will give you better performance than the modulated type.

http://store.yahoo.com/xmfanstore/blauxad.html

http://www.blitzsafe.com/blitz_catalog/blitz_aux/blitz_aux_list/blitz_acura/blitz_acura.html

That first link has a ton of XM stuff available for you to wade through.

Here's a site that answer a myriad of questions on all things XM

http://www.xmfan.com/index.php

not sure about the nsx, but i have an alpine cda-9815 with alpine xm tuner in my prelude. i absolutely love it. there is a micro antenna (smaller than a match book) that is out now. i just bought that too, very nice, great reception. you might want to check out www.xmfan.com

Thank you both for the replies. Great information! Now, let me jump in and hope I don't come out with too many goodies!!! :D
Regards
- Z

If you're a football fan you might want to check out Sirius. I heard they landed a contract with the NFL to broadcast every game.

in ashtray

I have the Pioneer XM radio add on system. I have the control head mounted inside the ashtray. I can still close it to totally conceal it from curious eyes.

I am going to wait for the alpine head unit that is coming this year. As we all know space is limited in our cars.

The new head unit will allow you to tune in XM without the use of an extra box about the size of an amp.

This piece is currently required for XM Decks on the market.

But if you can't wait, start working and enjoy. XM is great, once you have you will not liten radio for music at all.

Back