• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Year 8

My 8th year of daily driving my NSX has come and gone, and as I frequently do, here's the year in pictures and stories.

You know what sucks about owning an awesome open-roof sports car in Florida in the winter? Nothing, that's what! :D
DSC_9449.jpg

We had a little mini-meet at the exotic show on St Armand's in February and experienced a serendipitous parking experience when we managed to park all our cars in a row on the street right next to the show. We had foot traffic diverting from the show to come see our cars. Fun stuff.
DSC_9477.jpg

Went to the Make-A-Wish exotic show in Celebration and took a long a former owner friend and made his day by letting him drive a good chunk of the trip there.
DSC_0049.jpg

In May, we journeyed to Tybee Island, GA to meet some internet friends and for the annual Beach Bums Parade. The weather was funkylicous and we spent the weekend driving sloooowly in an island town full of potholes, speed bumps, and sharp dips at the end of almost every intersection.
IMG_1281.jpg

Still, though, the water fight parade was lots of fun. Not a good day to drive with the roof off.
IMG_0673.jpg

It bites only having a 1 car garage. That means whosever car is the cleanest gets to claim the garage which means my car sleeps in the rain sometimes.
IMG_0816.jpg

Sometimes in the morning on my way to work, I stop and take a picture of my car, because I can.
IMG_1637.jpg

In September, I took my car on an extraordinary road trip. I drove to New Orleans and then followed the Mississippi River north all the way to Missouri, crossing the river every chance I could. I spent 4 days traveling about 1000 miles of back roads and it was awesome.

Of course, any trip like that starts with a clean car.
DSC_1047.jpg

I stopped hundreds of times in those 4 days to climb dikes, photograph bridges, and frequently look back at my car.
DSC_1340.jpg

Lots of gravel this trip.
DSC_1471.jpg

But, I loved it. One of my best road trips, ever.
DSC_1582.jpg

I had to wash the car every day. One nice thing about these little towns on a state highway, they all have a coin-op or two. I dedicated a good bit of my trunk space to buckets and supplies so I could do this and still represent.
DSC_1696.jpg

Winding down the year, I got to make a brief appearance at the NSXCapades 2012 right here in Sarasota.
DSC_3048.jpg

The dealership treated us like kings. It was a fine morning.
DSC_3090.jpg

Is it winter again? That must mean it's time to take the roof off and going driving in the country.
DSC_3422.jpg

At least it's behind me!
DSC_3429.jpg

And a parting shot. My wife has had a supercharged car and I haven't for a really long time now. That will change in Year 9. :D I'm in on the CT Supercharger group buy that recently closed, so look for something a bit new next year.
DSC_3728.jpg

I can't wait!

awesome skippy I cant wait to travel in my blackbird when I get some free time.

hats off to you.

Thanks for sharing! I always enjoy your well documented journeys.
I have been a fan since the 100 mile walk to Key west and your shallow leisure website is always entertaining.

Keep up the good “work”!

good game

I've enjoyed reading about your past trips. Can't wait for my own 6,500 mile road trip next month!

My 8th year of daily driving my NSX has come and gone
I remember my 8th year of ownership - the Clinton presidency, the Yankees sweeping the Padres in the World Series (yes, the Padres), etc.

We had a little mini-meet at the exotic show on St Armand's in February and experienced a serendipitous parking experience when we managed to park all our cars in a row on the street right next to the show.
In 30+ years of visiting St. Armand's, I don't recall ever seeing that many available parking spaces in a row. Maybe in the wee hours, but that's about it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the pics and updates. Brings me back to my former 95 Brooklands Green car. I drove that thing everywhere and made more memories with it than my current car. Good stuff!

Good Read... I would love to buy one that I could drive everywhere and make some memorable road trips in.... (yeah yeah i know i CAN do it in mine... but i wont) I prefer something with 50k+ to do trips like this not something >10k miles to do it in.

Awesome pics. You and that car have great adventures.

Great stuff Skippy ! Thanks for sharing your annual "lookback" of your adventures with your beautiful NSX. Inspires me to drive mine more than I do. Cheers! Jay

Hey, Skippy, we're on the same schedule. I bought mine NSX eight years ago, too. Nice post!

Thanks everyone!

Next up for me and my car, a return to the Blue Ridge Parkway. I drove it twice the first couple years I had the car, and I'm making a proper revisit in June. Stay tuned. :)

Thanks everyone!

Next up for me and my car, a return to the Blue Ridge Parkway. I drove it twice the first couple years I had the car, and I'm making a proper revisit in June. Stay tuned. :)

congrats and please let me know when you do!

Maybe plan a drive together.

I followed your well documented trips before I even owned and NSX. I used to live in Sarasota/Siesta Key for many years so it was nice revisiting your pictures and seeing places I had been. Congratulations on Year 8.

Absolutely inspiring!

I very much look forward to being able to take my car on these same kinds of adventures!

Back