• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

You guys won't believe this. My stereo install.

Boinkrist you are correct with your assumptions. I don't think you need that EQ however. The main benefit of the front row is its time alignment. You also don't need the JL volume control if you use the Front Row. What I would do is come out the phone, go into front row, split out and go to the 4 channel amp and to some good speakers, a set of mids and a set of tweeters. If you buy a set that is already made up, you do away with its crossover and use the front row instead. The passive crossover will not be nearly as good as the front row that is fully digital and not analog, and also give you time alignment. In the bass region, the front row give you a lot of adjustability.

- - - Updated - - -

Th front row is a whole level up from these simple analog EQ's in terms of sound quality. If you use it with 4 speakers you can do surround as well. It was $300, and I thought it was ay cheap for that. Now it's $250. It's ridiculous for this product. Anyway as I said if you want my unit, it's unused and I will go below $200 for you. I am just going the even more sophisticated 360.3 route. That's $700 though...

Thanks for all the input, Dave, and everyone who contributed to this thread.

PM me with a $ and email address Dave, and I can paypal you.

Last edited:
I'm trying to get Jeff from carbon 6 (vroom) involved in helping me manufacture some parts and mounts.

I'm still waiting for a picture of this bass cannon thingy...I've not seen it yet.

Any updates? I know your life doesn't revolve around this project but I can't wait to see what the final result is!

I'm waiting for a few items to arrive. I've started to slowly work on things again but it's not a top priority for me. I will get something done this summer.

I just got done reading this entire thread, and I am definitely interested to see how this turns out, as I am also in the market for a complete stereo system overhaul. (just got my NSX 2 months ago, stereo is all stock)

I love your bass tube/cannon idea. Those tweeters are kinda funny lookin, but i'm sure if they were flat black, and mounted as close/flush to the dash as possible, it would be near imperceivable to the common eye. I'm sure the SQ is worth them being externally mounted instead of flush mounted in the dash pointing towards the windshield.

But really, just let me know how much and where to send this money that's burnin a hole in my pocket! lol

Last edited:
TURBO:

Silently watching.....patiently waiting....more than happy to make sure you are properly compensated for all of this research when I get in on the group buy, or I'm more than happy to pay for a set of instructions and a parts list when it's ready.

Best,

Scott

Guys I have lost some motivation to follow up on this. Are you guys really interested? I decided that the track and weight savings is more important to me. I have portable Bluetooth speaker I am running now. I have the materials to make some bass tubes. The baffles were hand made, I can certainly provide a mould and some instructions on it all. KY650 was working on a woofer plate/tweeter housing, I don't know where he is at with it. I produced two bass tubes and they sound great, and in front of the seat they are near invisible and really... take up no extra space or legroom. They are 3 pounds each, maybe less....

I can't speak for anyone else but I know what I'm looking for is a full system with amazing quality but without immense weight. I don't track my car so I don't really have the needs to take it to a more extreme level. Obviously thank you for your research and testing on this subject that most of us could have never done without you! do you mind telling us the basic setup that you left off with?

Dave,

i'm still very interested...and you know it because i sent you a spare set of
door speakers enclosures so you could replicate yours for me...

if you can do it, i would be thankfull, and a full list of whatever i need to buy and how
to wire everything ...

.. i would love to get rid of my OEM system for a newer, lighter and better one so
i can use my iPod/iPhone directly :wink:

Thanks,
Nuno

Allright guys I will pick it back up since some of you want it. Let me see where KY650 is with making the adaptors.

You called? :biggrin:

I hadn't made any progress since my last update since I wasn't sure if there was really any interest (and I got side tracked with other mods). The door enclosure brackets are simple enough to do, its just a question of how many I need to make and for what driver. Depending on the quantity I'd choose different fabrication processes to keep costs as low as possible (3d printing for a few, CNC milling for a larger quantity). I'd need a little more time on the tweeter housing since that still needs to be 3d scanned, modeled in CAD, printed, and tested. Once that's done I'm not sure what the best way to produce that part (composites or 3d printing).

It seems like between the two of us Dave we have the skills to make this happen but how you want to split things up is your call. I'm more than happy to help out with those two parts, and perhaps your woofer and whatever other physical stuff needs designing but there's still some unknowns we need to figure out. Have you settled on a woofer/tweeter/crossover? The tweeter housing its going to need to be specific to a single driver for mounting purposes. The woofer can be pretty flexible I think. Just let me know what you're thinking and how I can help!

I'm in the Bay Area so if bngl3rt (I live right next to the mothership) or racer-ex want to stop by and listen to what I have so far maybe they could give some feedback?

I'm in the Bay Area so if bngl3rt (I live right next to the mothership) or racer-ex want to stop by and listen to what I have so far maybe they could give some feedback?

Hell yeah! I just replaced my head unit and was thinking what to do about speaker (currently running the stock bose stuff... shhh, I know)

Heard Ethan's set up today. Huge step up in terms of both clarity and imaging. Getting tweeters really helps put the sound stage up at ear level. My Bose system sounded harsh and tinny on the way home by comparison.

So, Mr. ky650, hope you get your tweeter baffles made - I'll be first in line to buy a set. :)

Well we have to decide on a tweeter location first, that will determine what tweeter to use. Has to be something readily available. The ones I got on the dash are fantastic... and it is the best location... and it doesn't require running more wires into the door... but if people don't want tweeters there then it needs to go elsewhere.

Who's in the bay area?

Sounds like quite an improvement that is making me curious but I'm determined to keep the stock speakers at this time.

Kinda off topic but I heard you might move to Cali? :)

Who's in the bay area?

Mr. ky650 (Ethan) and myself (Ben) both live in Cupertino.

I may supplement my stock system with some tweeters running off deck power (since my new Pioneer HU contains a 4ch amp)

I am also definitely interested. I've been following this and KY650's thread for a while. One of my winter projects is mounting a tablet similar to clean_green's recent thread. I would also like to update the speakers and amplifier, so I wanted to voice my support for this effort. Sign me up.

I've been searching around prime trying to figure out the best way to overhaul my system as well. At first I thought throwing in a set of 6.5" speakers with the SOS backboard was gonna be the way to go, but after reading through this thread I feel like I'd be wasting money. There's a decent audio installer nearby but I don't think they would do anything more than throw in the some speakers, wire it up, and call it a day.

I was hoping by the end of this thread there would be a kit link!

Last edited:
I would love to see a picture of your sub woofer.

The first time I heard the Bose "Cannon" the display had 4 stacked together.
It was at a sound system trade show in Atlantic City maybe 20 years ago. there were many displays showing off their sub woofer performance, the constant boom of the 20 or so companies got monotonous.
When the Bose display was used the whole place stopped, it was absolutely remarkable, it put every other manufacturer to shame.

After that I became very interested the "technology".

Loved my RX-7 with the acoustic wave, actually think I liked the uniqueness of the Acoustic wave as much as the performance of the car.

Years passed and i wanted to put a nice stereo in a old work truck for fun.
I built my own cannon.
It was a 6" piece of PVC with a Radio shack sub woofer.
For $45.00, it actually worked pretty well. The sub woofer almost constantly distorted, but it was unnoticeable because of the enclosure.
( I would be happy to provide the design plans for a small fee):tongue:

So...

I am VERY interested in seeing what you came up with.
I don't think I would put one in my car, the the design has always intrigued me.

Back