• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Your thoughts on the 2012 Insight

RYU

Legendary Member
Patron Supporter
Tech Expert
Call me crazy but I could see myself driving this. I'll be looking to test drive it soon. The previous gen was almost offensive...
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/09/13/2012-honda-insight-gets-nicer/#continued

Autoblog said:
The Honda Insight is a hatchback with its spirit in the right place, but everything else about it has practically no spirit at all. Honda has finally seen to its lackluster hybrid by tweaking nearly everything about it. Its face has been given blue eyes courtesy of tinted headlight covers, and the grille and front spoiler benefit from a welcome sharpening. In back, a revised profile for the spoiler means improved visibility.

The Insight's sparse plastic interior is where TLC was most needed, and the loving comes via nicer seat fabric, "wood look paneling," and stitching that breaks up the synthetic expanses. There is also more room inside, and less noise.

Under the hood is the familiar 1.3-liter i-VTEC mated to an electric motor, but tweaks mean that it gets better gas mileage and now puts out just 96 grams of CO2 per kilometer when fitted with 15-inch wheels.
hondainsight2012.jpg

Last edited:
Evidently, this gen finally has an electric only mode. Not sure how useful it will be in the real world but it's a step in the right direction.

REDUCED CO2 EMISSION OF ONLY 96 G/KM* FOR THE 2012 HONDA INSIGHT

The refreshed Honda Insight is launched at the 2011 Frankfurt Motor show. The Insight is now even more environmentally friendly producing just 96 g/km* of CO2. The Insight also receives a new exterior design including a new front grille. The features within the interior have been improved for a superior perceived quality with two new interior colours to choose from. Rear visibility has been improved and rear passenger headroom has been adjusted. Revisions have been made to the engine and suspension for an overall improvement to ride comfort and stability. Two new exterior colours are available.

96 g/km* CO2 and improved Fuel Economy
The 2012 Insight will be available with either 15" or 16" wheels. In both cases the improvement on CO2 emissions is 5 g/km – which means that models with 15" wheels now boast CO2 emissions of only 96 g/km* and models with 16" wheels 100 g/km.

Fuel economy has been improved by means of improved aerodynamics and power train efficiency. Reduced engine friction and CVT efficiency together with improved air-conditioning benefiting from a new cold storage all contribute to a lower fuel consumption.

Exterior
The exterior design receives updates that help to emphasise the Insight's smart image with efficient and aerodynamic styling. The new model year includes a refreshed grille and bumper design and also modifications to the headlights.

The rear has had a similar design treatment applied with a new tail spoiler which helps to improve rear visibility. Details of the license plate garnish have been changed as well as the tail lights, where the indicator surround is blue to highlight its hybrid identity.

Interior
New interior features confirm the improved quality and comfort of the 2012 Insight. These include a new seat fabric and black wood look panelling. The rear space has been redesigned to allow for improved head clearance of 10mm. This has been achieved by adjusting the angle of the rear seat and re-shaping the headlining so that it is curved at the edges.

N/V Improvement
Driver and passenger comfort has been increased by means of reducing the intrusion of engine and road noise from the suspension and tyres into the cabin. The front lower suspension arms are now made from aluminium, rather than steel and also a new tyre development has reduced the noise within the cabin.

Visibility
Refinements to the rear design of the car which include a new slimmed tail spoiler allows for a wider rear glass area, an improved tail gate garnish and the wiper motor unit has been reduced in size meaning overall increased visibility at the rear.

Bespoke Hybrid Model
The Insight utilises the efficient, compact and proven 1.3 litre i-VTEC engine, combined with an electric motor. This engine and motor combination is shared with the new Jazz Hybrid and both models benefit from the ability to run on electric power alone under certain conditions.

The combination of an ultra-aerodynamic body and a parallel hybrid powertrain gives the Insight impressive environmental performance with low overall exhaust emissions, not just CO2 emissions of 96 g/km*. The Insight has been developed to offer excellent fuel economy and emissions all of the time, not just in official tests. The Eco Assist encourages and assists drivers in achieving good fuel economy every day with the coaching function and ECON button.

Recycling of Battery Packs
Importantly the Insight is manufactured in a plant where zero production waste ends up in landfill and a suite of energy saving techniques are used to reduce overall impact. At the end of the vehicle's life the Insight is designed to be highly recyclable and recoverable and the batteries can be easily recycled through any Honda dealer.

*Honda internal data

Last edited:
Call me crazy but I could see myself driving this. I'll be looking to test drive it soon. The previous gen was almost offensive...

Ok...you're crazy.

A Honda Fit is way more fun to drive, has more interior room and lots more storage room, is said to have better build quality, has almost 200 pounds less to push around with about the same power, is superior in terms of NVH, and is available with a real manual transmission rather than a CVT. Sure, the Insight gets 40 mpg vs. 30 for the Fit. But the three plus grand in price difference will buy a lot of gas...even at $4/gallon you would have to drive the Insight about 100,000 miles to save enough gas to cover the added cost. And this assumes similar service and maintenance costs over the life of the car.

On the other hand, the mild restyling of the Insight does improve its looks. Let us know what you think of it after a test drive. Just be sure to wring it out a bit.

Evidently, this gen finally has an electric only mode. Not sure how useful it will be in the real world but it's a step in the right direction.

Are you sure about that? I looked and couldn't find any reference. I would be surprised if the 13HP DC motor could move it much.

EDIT: Just saw the "internal Honda" data. Still don't believe it will work in real life with just a dinky 13HP motor.

If they were available at the time, I would have bought a LEAF or a VOLT instead of my 2010 Prius.

Nissan-Leaf-NISMO-RC.jpg

Last edited:
Ok...you're crazy.

A Honda Fit is way more fun to drive, ...
The Fit is a marvel and it makes a compelling argument for itself. I have thought about it constantly. However, i'm coming from wanting something the size of a Prius. Yes, I agree... the Fit is surprisingly agile in terms of practicality especially for it's size. It feel big inside... however it's still small. Once the Japanese supply comes back to normal levels i'll be visiting showrooms again for a new commuter vehicle. The Fit/Jazz is on the top 5 list.

Are you sure about that? I looked and couldn't find any reference. I would be surprised if the 13HP DC motor could move it much.

EDIT: Just saw the "internal Honda" data. Still don't believe it will work in real life with just a dinky 13HP motor.

If they were available at the time, I would have bought a LEAF or a VOLT instead of my 2010 Prius.

Nissan-Leaf-NISMO-RC.jpg
Yes, i'm not sure how useful that puny DC motor will be in real life. :confused:

If the Leaf really looked like that and not like this i'd buy it in a heartbeat lol!
nissan-leaf-electric-vehicle_100225870_s.jpg

Last edited:
The '12 Insight looks no different to me then the 2010 Insight....The Prius performs better.

The Fit is a marvel and it makes a compelling argument for itself. I have thought about it constantly.

OK...maybe you aren't quite ready for the funny farm yet. :wink:

However, i'm coming from wanting something the size of a Prius. Yes, I agree... the Fit is surprisingly agile in terms of practicality especially for it's size. It feel big inside... however it's still small.

But the Fit is bigger than the Insight inside with a passanger volume of 90.8 cu ft versus 85 cu. ft. for the Insight.

Outside, yes, the overall length of the Fit comes up almost a foot short. But the wheelbase difference is just two inches. That's 98.4 for the Fit, and 100.4 for the Insight (compared to 106 for the Prius). The overall width and track width of the Fit and Insight are nearly identical.

Just saying...don't be fooled by appearances into thinking the Insight is bigger. It is lower and longer in external dimensions, which makes it look bigger. And neither is as big as the Prius, although the Fit comes close in terms of passanger volume. And when it comes to weight, well, most of the difference is in the Insight's battery pack.

Last edited:
The '12 Insight looks no different to me then the 2010 Insight....The Prius performs better.
The Prius and Insight is like comparing a Class C car with a Class B one. I don't really see them as direct competitors.
But the Fit is bigger than the Insight inside with a passanger volume of 90.8 cu ft versus 85 cu. ft. for the Insight.
That's really good to know. like I said before I haven't done too much research yet but now you make the Fit even more compelling. I did price the Fit and at the trim level I want it's a $17k vehicle.

And of course only you will know which is the best choice for you. And I should probably keep my nose out of it. I just love posting about cars and can't help myself. :wink:

Happy shopping!

I like the look of the newer insight. I saw one that had aftermarket rims, was lowered and I think it had a body kit. I thought it looked pretty cool. That said, I still like my Fit sport. Even with the manual transmission, I average anywhere from 32-35 mpg.

Back