• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Zanardi prototype?

I was very curious myself... and even more so that the car is very local to me! Very interesting ride and seems like a great deal!!

Last edited:
Hi car has been talked about several times over the years. Mostly in the Zanardi threads, of which there are many.

omg...major stoner lives.......but seems like he is divesting himself of all his nsx stuff.I used to love his posting style and pics.

Even without the 'zanardi" name this car would still be considered rare though correct? Its a NA2 coupe with low miles.

Last edited:
omg...major stoner lives.......but seems like he is divesting himself of all his nsx stuff.I used to love his posting style and pics.

+1

Major Stoner was the caretaker of the "Delete" thread for many years, then disappeared.

Welcome back Major Stoner, though it does not seem like it will be a long stay...:(

I was thinking the same thing, great guy!

I'm the proud new owner of this fine automoble. Thank you Major Stoner for a super easy transaction and a great car. You Sir are an officer and a gentleman.:smile:
After selling my 1991 NSX, I was dead set on buying a Ferrari 360 or F430. However, this car has always intrigued me and I guess I couldn't ever get it off of my mind. I suppose it was meant to be.

Build thread to follow...........

Pickup in NY. It was a rainy day, but we got it loaded without issue.
P1050639_zps31623135.jpg
[/URL]

P1050640_zps7e6b0c2c.jpg
[/URL]

This is my layover in the Pocono's at my parents house.
20141023_153933_zps7e2078b7.jpg
[/URL]

20141023_153954_zpsde78bb53.jpg
[/URL]

Pics after a quick wash in IN after the voyage was over.

P1050659_zps070edfc8.jpg
[/URL]

P1050668_zps87a0ab2d.jpg
[/URL]

P1050662_zpse72fd23a.jpg
[/URL]

P1050672_zpsa65da25a.jpg
[/URL]

P1050690_zps02cfce12.jpg
[/URL]

wow..................what does major Stoner look like...is he human?

if it was a zanardi prototype then it could be worth its weight in gold if original not all the bolt on stuff that killed it.

return car to original and find some documents to Prove this was 007 not just a dealer said/ he said/ she said

if this is true you have a very special car IF returned to original.

if it was a zanardi prototype then it could be worth its weight in gold if original not all the bolt on stuff that killed it.

return car to original and find some documents to Prove this was 007 not just a dealer said/ he said/ she said

if this is true you have a very special car IF returned to original.

I'd love to find documentation on the car and have been pursuing this for the last few months. I'm not sure what I'll ever find or be able to prove. However, the carfax shows that Honda sent the car to auction in 2000 and Major Stoner was the first titled owner. I haven't a doubt in the world that his story is true. Everything he has ever posted over the years has been the same story and the carfax goes right along with it. Worst case is I can't prove it and I have a 1998 coupe with every single Zanardi edition cosmetic bit and 17,000 miles. It also came with just about every single original part. Honestly, they just about didn't all fit in my truck when I picked it up. The only things missing are things that I just happen to have in my attic from my previous NSX.

great find either way!........why did the stoner leave us on prime?:frown:

great find either way!........why did the stoner leave us on prime?:frown:

Thanks Doc much appreciated.

I believe Major Stoner had other priorities to attend to and in doing so he may have just lost interest. He was and is, an absolutely incredibly nice person and meeting him was a pleasure.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd love to find documentation on the car and have been pursuing this for the last few months. I'm not sure what I'll ever find or be able to prove. However, the carfax shows that Honda sent the car to auction in 2000 and Major Stoner was the first titled owner. I haven't a doubt in the world that his story is true. Everything he has ever posted over the years has been the same story and the carfax goes right along with it. Worst case is I can't prove it and I have a 1998 coupe with every single Zanardi edition cosmetic bit and 17,000 miles. It also came with just about every single original part. Honestly, they just about didn't all fit in my truck when I picked it up. The only things missing are things that I just happen to have in my attic from my previous NSX.

I forgot to give a shout out to all of those who have been helping me try to decipher this mystery for the last few months.
So to all of you kind NSXers that have given your time to my wild goose chase, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!
I appreciate it very much.
Chris

Maybe you should approach American Honda or maybe Ted Klaus with the VIN and see if they can help? If true, you would have a full history and maybe they can give you some more back story? The"prototype" idea is a little strange in that the Zanardi is just a JDM Type-S with some US-market changes. Since the Type-S was already fully developed, not sure why Honda would need another "prototype"?

Maybe you should approach American Honda or maybe Ted Klaus with the VIN and see if they can help? If true, you would have a full history and maybe they can give you some more back story?
I'm not exactly sure how to approach this.

The"prototype" idea is a little strange in that the Zanardi is just a JDM Type-S with some US-market changes. Since the Type-S was already fully developed, not sure why Honda would need another "prototype"?
My guess would be interior, specifically seats, which are a non-shared component of the Type-S.

Either way mega rare find.

cmc140 do you plan to keep the 05 body panels on the car?

Also, when/why did Major Stoner do all the mods? Just to update the look? Did he include all of the 98' body panels with matching Vins?

My plan all along was to return the car to how it was when purchased by Major Stoner in 2000. That being a 1998 coupe with every visual Zanardi edition bit and black roof.

Major Stoner started modding the car as soon as he bought it and here are some pictures he sent me.

First iteration:
P7130005copy_zps869bfbbb.jpg

P7130002copy_zps73fe74b2.jpg

bb46aabf-157a-4f7b-8f7c-0a19e873049d_zps0da6daa4.png

Then he kissed a snowbank:
[
P3020003_zps4b26df18.jpg

P3020002_zpsb90fcb43.jpg

He then decided to do the entire '02 conversion with the Procar bits along the way. The only original parts that did not come with the car were the front bumper, headlights, side skirts, and rear valence. He told me that within the last few years he got rid of the head lights and bumper, as he didn't think anyone would ever consider putting them back on the car.

I have all of the paperwork for everything that has ever been done to the car from day one of his ownership.

Also, VIN stickers didn't start until 2000.

Last edited:
Back