• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

0-60 in 1.97 seconds!

The new Motor Trend tests Lingenfelter's latest corvette. This time it has a 7.0L engine putting out 802 HP@4600 RPM and 866 TQ @ 3600 RPM. It ran 0-60 in an incredible 1.97 seconds and a 1/4 mile at 9.24/150.27 MPH. WOW.

Someone needs to send their NSX to Lingenfelter and see what he can come up with!

------------------
NetViper -= 100% Stock EBP 2000 Civic Si =- Still looking to get an NSX, but at least I can live life at 8,000 RPM!

[This message has been edited by NetViper (edited 04 May 2002).]

And it's street legal???
eek.gif

I've always thought that John Lingefelter was the man. That is just crazy fast, 1.97 seconds. Damn.

I bought my Pontiac T/A after reading about his black Formula firebird in the top speed shootout, where he beat every other car that showed (including modded Vettes and Vipers).

Lingenfelter is a straight up shop. Much moreso than Hennesey.
However, this just seems like an answer to the article a few months ago where the Viper ran it in 2.4 seconds.
I doubted the validity of that test and I doubt this as well. I think someone needs to take a serious look into Motortrend's practices.
I think Lingenfelter is an awesome tuner. The 92 ZR1 that ran 0-150-0 was sweet.
However, the validity of any car with 800+ HP, running anything below 3 seconds without those HUGE Hoosier tires you see on dragsters is unlikely.
The last set of Lingenfelter C5s ran low 3s with slicks. The time for the 500 and 650HP on street tires was identical. On slicks, the 650 turbo ran low 3s.
To say any 800HP car, with the kind of torque you know the Viper or Vette produces, to run anything in the 2s (let alone 1s) without huge, sticky drag tires is not possible.
I don't question Lingenfelter. However, I've had a sick feeling about Motortrend for a long time. The Viper test confirmed it.
Now we're seeing a trend.
I don't like it. I see it as spreading lies and false advertising to sell magazines.

[This message has been edited by ilya (edited 05 May 2002).]

Originally posted by ilya:
I see it as spreading lies and false advertising to sell magazines.

[This message has been edited by ilya (edited 05 May 2002).]

I might agree with you there, except the fact that motor trend didnt even advertise the fact that the corvette test is in there on the cover. The viper story was a cover story and surely helped to sell more magazines.

Anyway, It says the tires were a set of Mickey Thompson E.T. Street "Cheater Slicks". I have no idea what those are.

Originally posted by NetViper:
I might agree with you there, except the fact that motor trend didnt even advertise the fact that the corvette test is in there on the cover. The viper story was a cover story and surely helped to sell more magazines.

Anyway, It says the tires were a set of Mickey Thompson E.T. Street "Cheater Slicks". I have no idea what those are.

I think this is what they're talking about...

Originally posted by Zuerst:
I think this is what they're talking about...

Ah, ok. So really that isn't a fair test because with those tires on, the car is no longer street legal.

"these tires should be used on dry pavement only and are not suitable for normal highway use!"

It would be interesting to see how the car runs on regular tires.

------------------
NetViper -= 100% Stock EBP 2000 Civic Si =- Still looking to get an NSX, but at least I can live life at 8,000 RPM!

Those tires are not suitable for normal highway use IMO they wear VERY QUICKLY .I went through 4 sets in 4 months when my Drag car was still streetable.Other than that they were awesome!!
High speed no problem .Yes you do feel the sidewalls flex but hey thats what you want when you run 12-15 lbs.

------------------

If the 2.4 Viper made the cover... why not the 1.9 Vette?
I'm looking forward to seeing the new Lingenfelter Vette. I just take issue with Motortrend practices. I have yet to see C&D or R&T release an article with ludicrous 0-60 times such as these for the sake of the story. The 3.5 second Viper would not have been as exciting... which is all it would run on any street legal tires.
Put those tires on a GT2 and see what it runs. Put those tires on an NSX and you may even hit high 3s.
I see it as a calculated decision made by the magazine to increase interest. Not like it's a stain on their otherwise spotless reputation... cough cough... Car of the Year... cough...sold to company with best marketing plan... cough

sorry, I'll stop ranting about this now. My point is that Viper was awesome. This vette is probably even more awesome. Mototrend's practices are just poor journalism. Although if you watch the news much, it's not like they are pioneers. It's an example of the industry taking precedent over the craft.

[This message has been edited by ilya (edited 07 May 2002).]

One of the main problems in my opinion of those super-high tuned cars is that contemporary street tires cannot put that power to the ground. I do think that Road and Track should have done the performance tests on both street tires and drag tires though. I think that would have made for a more polished artice.

Thanks for the heads up on the article.

[This message has been edited by Edwardo (edited 07 May 2002).]

I agree. When C&D (or R&T... I forget) tested the last Lingenfelter turbo, they ran on both street tires and slicks and posted both times. The 500 and 650HP ran near identical times on street tires. Then 650 was significantly faster than the 500 when they ran slicks. It showed that you can only go so fast once the power is more than any street legal tire can handle.

However, these slicks were still nowhere near the HUGE tires Motortrend is running to get these times. The slicks used by C&D are the same you could use on a race car. You could drive it to work and nobody may notice. The tires Motortrend is using are a singular purpose, drag racing tire.
If you saw them on the street you would swear someone is driving their dragster to work. Try doing anything else but driving in a straight line with those tires and see what happens. It's just not right to slap those tires on any vehicle, do a 0-60 run, then advertise it as the vehicle's actual 0-60 time.

If I were reading a magazine dedicated to drag racing (in which case 0-60 would not matter, but 1/4), I would fully expect this and agree. People reading that magazine are probably those who watch or participate in the sport. They want to know what the car can run on those Hoosiers in the 1/4. Perfectly legit.
That's very different than an automotive magazine using those tires and claiming a factual 0-60 and 1/4 mile time based on those tires. If Chevy claimed the new Vette hits 60mph in 3.5 seconds. I later buy one and then I find out they derived that time using 26inch Hoosiers... I would be furious.
It's just not right.

Just read (or skim rather) that article... It is a "Corvette VS F-18" thingy, with the new 500/500/500 Viper on the cover of the magazine...

What continues to amaze me is that my $11,000 2000 ZX12R stock, with a professional rider, does 0-60 in 2.something and does the quarter in 9.5something at 152 mph.

(With a top speed of 195mph. I have seen 200 on the speedo so I am guessing I have gone about 185.)

I guess the vette starts to spin the tires half way down the track? I'm not a dragger so really curious about why the 0-60 is so quick, and the quarter so slow, not being a smartass.

Here's what I love about my bike - me - 245lbs, and a complete amatuer, ran the quarter about 6 times, and my best speed was 130something in the low tens. (reaction times sucked) Did the 1/8ths twice and had high 6's at about 110mph, and everyone gave me a hard time about being slow. The fact that a car has to spend a huge amount of money to get there just blows me away. I wonder why the real speed junkies even bother with cars. Another reason I love my NSX. Balance. I don't HAVE to race you, I already know I have a better car.

Best line I have come up with yet....Guy in a modded mustang pulls up to me and the NSX and wants to race. I tell him OK, ME against HIM, $500. He says hell yeah. I then tell him to follow me to the house, I got to get what I am racing him in. Tell him it's a zx12 and he suddenly backs out. Amazing. I have serious racer friends that would have then taken the $500 out in damage to his car cause he backed out. Luckily I knew the outcome, and let him slink away, tail pipes between his legs. Gotta love NC rednecks and their haughty attitudes about their ponycars.
smile.gif

------------------
eat healthy, exercise regularly, die anyway....

I thought MT's track was on a 2 degree downgrade? I forgot where I heard/read that but I just remembered it now. I think I read it in a magazine. Or maybe a forum.

Well... saw the test last night on Motortrend TV. Not taking away from the vette which is AWESOME (165K tested), but my assumptions were confirmed.

Huge tires on the rear and pizza cutters on the front during the run. I'm trying to figure out how they fit those rear tires on the vette. There must have been cutting or a different molding in the wheel wells to allow for those size tires. It's probably part of the whole package. All carb and street legal. Lingenfelter never ceases to amze me. He has the ability to tune a car into oblivion while maintaining a semblence of class.

[This message has been edited by ilya (edited 14 May 2002).]

Back