• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

02-05 Gear Shift Knob choices?

I really don't like the style of the OEM gear shift knob in my 2005 NSX. I love the style of the 91-01 knobs but don't want to pay the price for a new one.

I'd like to find a knob that is reasonably priced and looks good. I want it to be able to "clip" to the shift boot like the OEM knobs.

I am located in Phoenix so I prefer one that doesn't get too hot to touch when it sits in the sun.

Any options out there???

Thanks!

I have tried a bunch over the years and the 2005 oem and the metal R type all get too hot. I keep going back to the weighted round CF one. It always stay cool to the touch. It's just a common knob with no numbers, i think it's NRG.

If you want the oem look of the earlier cars, you will need a boot and knob. Should be able to find them on here used cause a lot of people change them out. I went with a R boot years ago and have the whole setup at home, but you can't have mine :smile:.

Mike

fyi.... The OEM 2005 knob usually gets hot on the lower metal section. You can fix that by adding vinyl to the lower section like in the picture below. Also gives a better feel.

DSCF0458.jpg

I always assumed the 02-05 knobs "snapped" into the boot like the 91-01 knobs did. Do the 02-05 simply screw off and any aftermarket screw on without snapping into the boot? What holds the boot up?

I have tried a bunch over the years and the 2005 oem and the metal R type all get too hot. I keep going back to the weighted round CF one. It always stay cool to the touch. It's just a common knob with no numbers, i think it's NRG.

If you want the oem look of the earlier cars, you will need a boot and knob. Should be able to find them on here used cause a lot of people change them out. I went with a R boot years ago and have the whole setup at home, but you can't have mine :smile:.

Mike

fyi.... The OEM 2005 knob usually gets hot on the lower metal section. You can fix that by adding vinyl to the lower section like in the picture below. Also gives a better feel.

DSCF0458.jpg

I appreciate the offer but don't want to let go of the original.

I'll buy a new one from the dealer, and swap for your OEM 2005 knob; PM me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone have a knob on their 02-05 that has the shift pattern on it? Where did you get it? How does it keep the shift boot up? Thanks!

First of all, your stock one is worth a lot of money, so I'd hold onto it. Second, the knob you have is 04-05 only, not 02-05.

The knob is held on by a nut and washer under the boot. You have to remove the center console, the cut a small ziptie, and undo the washer and nut. Install is the opposite.

I have swapped mine with the factory type R titanium knob. It's a more mechanical feel than the factory one. It gets hot and cold but not nearly as much as the other standard metals. It also has the shift pattern on it in yellow.

I also have the type R stalk which is shorter and with more thread, as well as titanium Dave's shirt shift adaptor. My stalk is SHORT and I can shift with my wrist. The stock one feels like a truck's in comparison. I also have the R boot.

The weight of the knob matters. The 04-05 is VERY HEAVY and damped internally. Smoothest knob there is. The R is heavy and not damped, you get some more mechanical feedback. Don't get a cheap knob. My hand also fits better on top of a knob, I tried the pistol grip type of the earlier ones and the type S and didn't like it. If you have a small hand the pistol grip works, but you should try it before switching. It places my wrist at an unnatural position. Especially if your stalk is shorter.

Last edited:
Someone mentioned in the "Regret" thread that they regretted replacing the 04-05 knob.

They said the stock knob had great dampening properties. I agree.

Someone mentioned in the "Regret" thread that they regretted replacing the 04-05 knob.

They said the stock knob had great dampening properties. I agree.

LOL... That was me. I love my type R knob but I shouldn't have sold my 05 knob.

I have a type S tear drop one on the nsx but I also like the JDM titanium S2000 shift knob.

This one looks cool too

img61403710.gif

I also had this on my s2000 for a while its an arc one

modp-1104-02-o+06-honda-s2000+gear.jpg

Last edited:
I do like the black! I wonder if I still have to remove my center console to install on my 2005?

I do like the black! I wonder if I still have to remove my center console to install on my 2005?

Do you really want to remove a weighted and damped $600 shift knob that is unique to only the 04-05 cars and install a $60 plastic one in its place? If you were to post up a poll here 90% of people would tell you the factory knob is the one to keep.

If you really want to go with the plastic one, you have to remove the center console. You do for ANY change.

No, you won't have to remove it.

Do you really want to remove a weighted and damped $600 shift knob that is unique to only the 04-05 cars and install a $60 plastic one in its place? If you were to post up a poll here 90% of people would tell you the factory knob is the one to keep.

If you really want to go with the plastic one, you have to remove the center console. You do for ANY change.

Guess i'm in the other 10%. Bought a used one for $80 that i had for a few years but most of the time it was in the box. I have a R one too but i like the CF knob best.

Mike

Here's a photo of my Delrin shifter that I Lurve. I got it from nsxster as a gift and can't thank him enough. :) I'm curious to find out what the 2005 OEM knob feels like in comparison, Rob! ;)

Delrin_shifter.jpg

Last edited:
What does it mean, "damped" gear shift knob?

What does it mean, "damped" gear shift knob?

The 2005 knob has some rubber material between the threaded insert and the rest of knob and it absorbs minute vibrations and softens the feel. It feels more refined. It's also the heaviest knob there is, as the weight helps with the shift action. The ball is larger than the R or any other ball I have seen, and fits better in the hand especially with a top grip. Other knobs have no damping so you feel more vibration transmitted to your hand from the drivetrain. Most knobs also don't have it's weight and they don't snap into gear the same way. I personally don't like lightweight knobs. That knob is exclusive to 2004-2005. Is more than $600 at the dealer last I checked. I posted mine for sale not knowing what I had exactly and had 17 offers within an hour.

Last edited:
If your only concern is that the knob gets hot, just make a non-slip cover for it out of a material that resists heat that you can remove/replace easily

I'm in the 90% stated above, I wouldn't change it

If your only concern is that the knob gets hot, just make a non-slip cover for it out of a material that resists heat that you can remove/replace easily

I'm in the 90% stated above, I wouldn't change it

I think it's more a style issue for him. He prefers the style of the older ones as he stated, and everyone else prefers the style of his.

Interesting...never knew this! I think I am going to stay with the OEM. I really appreciate all the responses. I was just looking for something more "stylish." I really don't think thje OEM knob matches the style of the interior (just my opinion).

The 2005 knob has some rubber material between the threaded insert and the rest of knob and it absorbs minute vibrations and softens the feel. It feels more refined. It's also the heaviest knob there is, as the weight helps with the shift action. The ball is larger than the R or any other ball I have seen, and fits better in the hand especially with a top grip. Other knobs have no damping so you feel more vibration transmitted to your hand from the drivetrain. Most knobs also don't have it's weight and they don't snap into gear the same way. I personally don't like lightweight knobs. That knob is exclusive to 2004-2005. Is more than $600 at the dealer last I checked. I posted mine for sale not knowing what I had exactly and had 17 offers within an hour.

Back