• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

'02 side strakes easy install for older model?

Hey guys, I was just wondering whether the '02 side strakes and door filler is an easy install...I like how it gives the car more of a presence...I was also considering the WW sides, but the extra "fake" vent just doesn't do it for me....anyone do this yet?

Spinner said:
Hey guys, I was just wondering whether the '02 side strakes and door filler is an easy install...I like how it gives the car more of a presence...I was also considering the WW sides, but the extra "fake" vent just doesn't do it for me....anyone do this yet?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

oops...sorry, I meant the rocker panels....The pre '02 models have a groove running along the bottom, and for the '02 models the have a rocker panel that "covers" up this groove....giving the side of the NSX more visual mass....a flatter surface basically. I was wondering instead of the WW side panels, whether anyone has used the '02 version...

So.... your asking if the OEM 02/03 side skirts will fit 91-01 models?

Are the bottom of the doors the same?

It seems as if 91-01 doors are tapered in at the bottom whereas 02+ doors are flush all the way down. Does this make sense?? :confused:

I believe the basic metal door panels are the same, but the '02-04 adds an extra piece onto the bottom few inches to make them flush with the rocker panels. You can see how it's an add-on piece in this photo:

000270-E.jpg

I dont think you can add the 02 side pices on to an older model car.
I read some were here that it does not mount the same.
I do know the WW pices wont fit on the 02+ cars, but I dont know why.

Last edited:
prova4re said:
I read some were here that it does not mount the same.
I do know the WW pices wont fit on the 02+ cars, but I dont know why.

I thought I read somewhere that someone on Prime with an 02 had ww sides?? :confused: Unless I'm loosing it. :D Which is quite possible.

yep, thats basically what I was asking...whether the later side skirts will fit the earlier models....if that extra piece of plastic for the door doesn't fit, does that mean they changed the door panel? Thats pretty expensive for a minor detail change....changing the hood to fit the newer headlights is one thing, changing sheet metal is always expensive...

OH YES!

I had this problem and started a thread about it some time ago.

The '02/'03 design completely changed the side skirt. Therefore, any prior NSX design ('01 on down to '91) cannot accept the new side skirts.

The picture attached of the yellow NSX illustrates perfectly why, and it was also hit upon in some of the posts... that little rectangle piece that jutts up along the wheel well is different than the older models' skirts, which just go straight across.

nsx skirt.jpg

I tried to buy some WW skirts for my '03 and they fit fine, but there was a big hole due to the missing rectangle part. Conversely, if you tried to put an '02/'03 skirt on an older model it would not fit at all due to the added rectangle shaped thingy.

WW messed up and labeled the side skirt as '02 fitment on the website, so I bought them. However, when we discovered they did not really fit WW took them back (miracle).

RR

Last edited:
WW to '02+ sides conversion

I am doing the conversion to '02+ sides next week. After weeks of waiting for the driver's side '02+ door garnish/molding, my parts guy called and said that my boat has come in. He says that some people have been waiting months for a -'01 door, and that Honda Japan is screwing up and placing '02+ doors in the -'01 boxes, even though they have different part numbers. The '02+ doors have a series of holes for the screws that are used to secure the garnish in question. The door garnish has two sided tape around the top and side edges, with some weather stripping along the bottom edge, and molded-in brackets with screw-shole-clips. The clips pop right off and you can just tape the whole piece on, but you are better off putting a dab of epoxy on the brackets to glue them on for additional protection from flying off after a few years. Bodyshops have the epoxy to repair plastic bumpers and many use it to secure the WW spats. The sills should fit better than the WW sidesills, since they are made from harder ABS plastic and are factory pieces. Figure on about $550 per sill, and $250 for the garnish, or $800 per side/$1600 total with painting and mounting additional.

Attachments

• p6230043.jpg
    p6230043.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 425
Updated the nose badge and moved the front plate with the Dali bracket to clean up the front / CF sill covers, innies and outies from SoS

Attachments

• 02frontbadge_cfsills.jpg
    02frontbadge_cfsills.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 422
I don't mean to speak for him, but DocJohn's "Bee" is a 1996 NSX that he converted to the 02-03 side skirts and rear val. It looks great I can't wait to do mine:D:D:D

Corrrrrect you are John,The 02 rockers and door garnish fit on the bee just fine(96) In place of the clips on the newer doors we used two sided tape.Now just so you don't think I overlooked this-(If I put the last one on my car before I go to trackmasters DocJohn, Peter Mills, and RSO34 are gonna beat me over the head) Yes we will beat you to a pulp if you don't get some serious track time before the real power adders!

Back