• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

100 hp per wheel bolt on electric hubs “sema” any car

50hp per wheel, not 100 (according to their video).

$10k and it doesn't include batteries or tires. Batteries could double the cost. What if there's a flat? Seems to be a lot of exposed contact points which brings long-term durability in real world conditions (submerged under water/mud/dirt roads/snow/ice/potholes) into question. Weight of batteries? They boast unsprung weight, but also mention the conversion added 180lbs to their Civic even with rear-seats removed (still no mention of type of battery and if that weight was included).

However, it does seem like a promising technology moving the torque point to the wheel. I have a feeling they're pitching the patent more than the application. They're reusing some off the shelf components, they don't mention which controller is being used, or if it has regen (assume same setup zero uses). There's nothing wrong with any of this, there always needs to be a starting point for technology to evolve.

If this was truly geared for real-world generic conversions, I would have stuck with retrofitting a hub/disc brake assembly which exists already. No gears, no contact points, and 200 ft/lbs torque per wheel.
https://electriccarsreport.com/2012/07/mtsu-students-developing-plug-in-hybrid-retrofit-kit-video/

Now, it is possible to put the perm magnets in/on the wheel/rim itself, and have the coils attached to the hub probably with minimal effort. Maybe that infringes on prior patents though. At least there'd be no contact points.

Last edited:
The video states that Regen is included and a 1 hour installation time , and he did say a Prius battery which you can get off Craigslist now for about 750. He also said that the components are sealed and you can have a Lexan see through to the components. The hub cap wheel is also cool which they can design to match your rear wheel set. They also said plug and play. That civic if it was widebody in the rear could of accommodated a 100 hp per wheel electric motor. Regardless this is amazing , and let’s not forget that in the coming years the lithium ion batteries will be better smaller and longer range. Fisker https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna659456. It would be cool to have a hybrid Nsx and have a te37 front hub cap in a deep dish. I know I’m goin crazy with this post, but I really love the creativity of technologies that will be arriving. Dammmmm I really want to go to Sema next year.

Last edited:
I don't have access to Facebook (didn't think people still used it). The technology is intriguing for sure. Personally I'm not sure the NSX is the right application, cool factor yes, but maybe not for practicality. 100 lbs for the battery pack, 180 lbs for the motors and controller, durability/reliability/safety, drain/charge times, cost? Since they're pitching it as a performance add-on for the civic, what is the 1/4 mile before/after? 0-60? Can tires be swapped easily at the track? If they're serious about selling it as a kit, at $10k they should be providing a vast wealth of information other than "look at this cool concept" tidbits. They do show some annoying vertical video of prototype runs; and neat CAD fly throughs that explain the technology pretty well. They do sell the strong points really well.

Now, I'd be more interested in applying something like this to my 1.0L Ecoboost Fiesta for mostly cool factor and bragging rights (already gets 50mpg if I stay out of boost - and it does 15's in the 1/4 mile already). But it would be cost prohibitive with this solution since $10k is more than the value of the car, and would buy about 200,000 miles worth of fuel. Since I have rear drums, I have thought about going hub centric for a small amount of assist. I can offset some weight by ditching the massive 12V OEM submarine battery (designed for start/stop) and spare tire. Ultimately any retrofit done for function should cost less than a used Leaf or Prius, otherwise it'll just be for cool factor.

There is some technology that hasn't lifted off the ground which incorporates gearing within hub. Which allows the use of smaller underpowered motors, and yet you get the torque multiplication everyone is seeking. But I'm afraid these will end up costing way too much in order to be practical. Then you have the problem of trying to cool the gears, and what happens if gears decide to commit suicide hopefully without seizing up a wheel (again safety).

I have played in the DiY EV space a number of years ago - and I can say the technology is moving at a rapid pace on all fronts, more so now than it was 10 years ago. I do hope their technology is taken into consideration from a major entity and applied in the industry in one form or another, or they take it to full production themselves. There are a few who have great ideas and secured patents are just looking to make a bunch of money, and could care less about being green. It's almost impossible to implement a new product in the EV sector with optimal efficiency and design without already stepping on an existing patents - so in this case sometimes it inhibits forward progress for all. That's why you see a lot of these fantastic ideas get stalled out just before production, because stubborn patent holders demand insane licensing amounts. I hope that's not this case, even though their website seems to point all arrows in that direction.

It's good that Fisker isn't totally dead after swindling $140 Million from the US taxpayer.

Back